PDA

View Full Version : Can Jersey clear your into Rennes?

englishal
12th Aug 2010, 11:52
If I want to fly to St Malo via Jersey overhead at say FL100, will Jersey clear you into Rennes TMA prior to your arrival the at boundary? Or do you have to freecall Rennes approach and get your clearance before exiting Jersey Class A ?

Thanks....

Fuji Abound
12th Aug 2010, 12:05
They have given me a handover in the past - so not a clearance, but a retain squawk and call sign only.

englishal
12th Aug 2010, 13:53
Thanks FA....

IO540
12th Aug 2010, 14:26
You need to dig out an ATCO working at one of these places and ask whether they have a letter of agreement.

These agreements determine if a unit can offer a service in somebody else's airspace.

For example it is obvious that Paris Control has an agreement with London Control, but none of the other French units (e.g. Lille) have one, which is why they can only hand over to London Information, and only while you are still in French airspace.

wsmempson
13th Aug 2010, 08:43
I flew into Rennes the day before yesterday from Guernsey and was cleared to climb to 3,500ft before the zone boundary, and was then handed across to Rennes approach, at the boundary, and they had all of my details. So Guernsey had organised a handover in advance.

gijoe
13th Aug 2010, 08:49
Al,

I will go with the reply above and hear it all the time from my left hand seat whilst people in the back are getting ready. Jersey/Guernsey, I think, are generally as helpful as they can be.

G:ok:

englishal
13th Aug 2010, 08:56
Thanks all. I know Jersey are very helpful and that it would probably be easy enough, because otherwise you could find yourself in a situation where you are in a Radar Control environment inside Jersey zone (and hence have to comply with ATC headings etc) but rapidly approaching Rennes TMA with no clearance! Ok if you have box 2 to call them on, but I suspected that you would probably be handed off - just nice to hear other's experiences.

ta

welkyboy
13th Aug 2010, 09:51
Are you planning a VFR or IFR flight?
If you intend to cross Jersey's airspace at F100 I assume you will be on a IFR flt pln, if so you will be transferred seamlessly to Rennes, if VFR I doubt if you will be able to legally comply with Special VFR at FL100 unless you are very lucky with the weather. Either way you will be transferred to Rennes appr. before 49N and your details will normally have been passed onto Rennes
If flying VFR in French airspace you have to fly on the semicircular rules, if on tracks from 000-179 FL 35/55/75 etc and on tracks 180-359 FL045/65/85 etc.French controllers take a very dim view of UK pilots who seem to be very ignorant of these requirements and often try to fly IFR without an Instrument rating at VFR levels!!!
Rennes Airport requires mandatory handling, but if you arrange to park at the local (Ile et Villaine) Aero Club's area, there is no extra charge, but if you park on the main apron (by the tower) there is an extra charge for handling.....

englishal
13th Aug 2010, 10:34
Thanks. Probably VFR at FL95 then (just plucked 100 out of the air) ;) Should be ok, I've been to Jersey at these sorts of levels before and it makes routings easier, if the weather is sh*te I'll have a plan B. Essentially cross the channel through some of the DA's if inactive at FL95 all the way, over Alderney, Jersey, St Malo....

dirkdj
13th Aug 2010, 15:52
The Channel Islands zone is part of the French FIR so I don't expect any problems with handovers.

OA32
14th Aug 2010, 13:22
If you are above 2500' Jersey will pass your details to Rennes. If high level be prepared for a descent/climb to the correct semi-circular level for Rennes TMA. Unless you are transiting Jersey at a quiet time you can expect heading and/or level changes to keep you clear of Jersey arrivals and departures.

Be warned though, even though Rennes might pass your details on the way back (this doesn't always happen with VFR flights) that is not an excuse to enter the CICTR. Invariably Jersey has more traffic near the boundary to affect your transit, so an early call is always appreciated especially as Class A airspace requires standard separation. The excuse that Rennes didn't put you over is frequently heard and does not absolve you of your responsibility to get a clearance beforehand.

englishal
14th Aug 2010, 14:58
Thanks OA, useful info.

Rdgs