PDA

View Full Version : SVFR in Class A

Fuji Abound
12th May 2001, 23:30
SVFR is of course permitted in Class A subject to the minimiums. I guess we are all familiar with its application in the CI control zone. What about a SVFR clearance in the London TMA. In theory it is possible but I gather never ever given! Use of higher airspace in Europe and America never seems a problem. Often it is less turbulent and the height gives an important safety margin. Why do we in England seem so reluctant to give a SVFR clearance or am I wrong and can London be persuaded to grant such a clearance.

Warped Factor
13th May 2001, 00:47
Fuji,

You can only fly SVFR in Control Zones, that is a bit of airspace where the bottom level is the ground.

SVFR is available in the Class A London Zone around Heathrow, but it is most definitely not available in the TMA itself. Sorry.

WF.

Fuji Abound
13th May 2001, 00:59
I was interested in the reply. Where in fact do the regulations distinguish between SVFR in a control zone and in a TMA?

Warped Factor
13th May 2001, 02:19
UK AIP ENR 1.2 Para 2.1

http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/pdf/enr/20102.pdf

WF.

p.s I spoke to a Fuji today on 126.82mhz en-route EGLK-LFAT, wasn't you was it? :)

[This message has been edited by Warped Factor (edited 12 May 2001).]

Bouncy Landing
13th May 2001, 02:38
There is a well used SVFR route to the west of LHR, normally via Ascot & Burnham NDB typically not above 1500' depending on Heathrow operations. Heathrow Radar on 119.9 can give clearance (or not).

Fuji Abound
13th May 2001, 12:08
Wasnt me from Blackbushe, but a good friend.

Thanks for such an informative reply. My question orginated because I vaguely remember reading somewhere that in theory a SVFR clearance was available, but it is interesting that clearly a control zone is distinguished from a TMA.

Bouncy Landing
13th May 2001, 14:02
Just curious - who is on 126.82? I'm fairly familiar with lower airspace in the south east but not that frequency.

------------------

Warped Factor
13th May 2001, 15:24
Fuji,

There may be a different interpretation abroad as to what airspace SVFR is available in, but certainly in the UK it is Control Zones only, not Control Areas.

Hope your chum had a pleasant lunch in Le Touq.

Bouncy,

126.82 is Gatwick Director.

WF.

Fuji Abound
13th May 2001, 23:37
Anywhere north of me involves the Gatwick zone. May I say of recent how pleasantly surprised I have been at the willingness of Gatwick control staff to give clearances through their control zone both VFR and IFR to GA aircraft such as me. Thank you. Many GA'ers can efficiently transit controlled airspace and it often saves us a great deal of time. Only one supplementary request, which I am sure controllers hopefully realise, is that the usual will "come back to you" often means that by the time the controller has, you have transitted so far around the control zone that the clearance you were hoping for no longer has much value. I know controllers are busy, but if a transit is unlikely due to commercial traffic, please say so at the outset. My recent trip from Biggin home was the most refreshing when the controller offered without request transit of the Gatwick zone on first contact - well done!

Warped Factor
14th May 2001, 02:03
Fuji,

Thanks, most of us are always happy to try and oblige.

If we say "standby" on first contact it's probably because we're on the telephone, you'd be surprised about how much time is spent on landlines, or because there are one or two things to be said to the IFR stuff first.

I would just suggest your first call is something along the lines of "Gatwick this is G-ABCD requesting zone transit".

That way the person at the other end of the radio knows exactly what you're after right away and can prioritise accordingly.

WF.