PDA

View Full Version : Flying to France - which documents legally required??

Slopey
10th Aug 2010, 22:27
Hi All,

Was planning a trip to France this weekend, however after checking it appears that a couple of documents have gone walkabout from the aircraft, specifically the CoA, the Registration document, and the maintenance log book. Although we know where they are, and that person is away so no access to them.

Is it possible that a maintenance organisation would hold copies of these and could provide on request? And would that do if I was ramp checked?

Off the top of my head I need:

CoA, Registration Cert, Radio cert, Insurance, plus personal licences/passport etc. Does the maintenance log book also need to be carried? Also, the original POH is out of reach, but there is a scanned and printed copy in the aircraft - would that pass muster?

If I can get the maintenance company to provide copies of the CoA and Reg cert, would I be good to go? (I've got the radio cert, insurance and copy of the POH in hand).

Cheers,
S

hoodie
11th Aug 2010, 10:01
You don't need the maintenance logbook, and I'd be wary of regularly carrying that in the aircraft anyway.

You must carry:

Cert of Registration
Certificate of Airworthiness
Aircraft Radio Licence
Insurance Certificate
Anything else your state of registry or CofA requires (e.g. N reg does require a POH. Private G Reg does not)For yourself you need:

Pilot's Licence
Aviation Medical certificate
Radio Licence
Passport (of course)
Not essential, but I try not to forget my Euro medical card.You must also carry a copy of the Interception Procedures to satisfy French requirements (CAA Safety Sense Leaflet 11 will do the job). (Addition edit to clarify detail - it's a UK requiirement for Int'l flight too, of course.)

Not paperwork, but don't forget that you also need an appropriate 406MHz PLB or ELT. GPS model is necessary.

BillieBob
11th Aug 2010, 11:47
Article 150 and Schedule 9 of the ANO refer to copies only in the case of the load sheet and the Certificate of Maintenance Review (if any). In all other cases it is the original document that should be carried. The original of the EASA C of A and the current ARC are required by EU law to be carried in the aircraft on every flight and so, if the CofA has gone missing, the aircraft should be grounded.

Whopity
11th Aug 2010, 12:50
As you are unaware of the legal requirement to carry an EASA C of A maybe this one has slipped your attention as well. A lot of people heading for France appear to be unaware of it. https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/aicfrancea/AIC_A_2008_10_EN.pdf

hoodie
11th Aug 2010, 14:47
Harsh, Whopity. := Slopey is not "unaware" of the requirement to carry a C of A - he explicitly mentioned it in his post. He also knows about the requirement for an ELT/PLB since, if he didn't before, I told him so at 11:01!

BillieBob, how do you know it's an EASA aircraft? (Probably is, but might not be).

PPRuNe has a reputation for "robust" responses - some of them may be because the responder didn't RTFQ properly. :}

Slopey, enjoy your trip to France.

BillieBob
11th Aug 2010, 16:05
Having read the OP (carefully) I judged, on the balance of probabilities, that it would probably be an EASA aircraft and, in the circumstances, that a reminder of the EU law in this area might be useful. If it isn't then Slopey will, no doubt, ignore that part of my response; the remainder is still valid.:rolleyes:

IO540
11th Aug 2010, 16:16
In all other cases it is the original document that should be carried

[my bold]

Is there a reference for this exceedingly old pilot forum chestnut (never resolved TMK, under EASA, CAA or FAA).

Fuji Abound
11th Aug 2010, 16:37
I have always carried the originals.

However, the only time I have ever been ramp checked was in France.

I keep a photocopy of my licences and ratings on my knee board - which I produced together with the aircraft documents. They never asked to see my original licences which were in the "hold". In fact the only thing they seemed remotely interested in was the PLOG - which somewhat caught me unawares. Now I dont bother too much with a PLOG - I have always had at least twin GPS and unless I have any doubts about the weather not much else in the way of a plan. Anyway I cobbled together something that vaguely met the bill - they didnt seem to have the least idea what they were looking at - we all wished each other a good day and they wandered off to drive someone else mad.

Its probably all a little different these days as that was some years ago.

BillieBob
11th Aug 2010, 18:41
Is there a reference for this exceedingly old pilot forum chestnutIt was put to me by a CAA inspector during a ramp check a few years ago that, since Schedule 11 (as it then was) referred specifically to copies in some cases but not others, it should be inferred that the originals were required unless the ANO stated otherwise. Whether one believes that to be a legally valid opinion is of little relevance if one misses one's departure slot while arguing the toss - it's a lot easier to avoid the argument by carrying the originals. I suppose that, if you felt sufficiently strongly about it, you could test it in court but it seems a lot of effort for very little gain.

IO540
11th Aug 2010, 20:01
One could say that about a lot of things, which have no legal standing.

A really good copy can be made very good. I once presented a car salesman with an inkjet-printed bankers draft (a scan of the original). A minute later I gave him the real one; he nearly fell off his chair.

CAA inspectors make stuff up as they go along.

And why the original? Law enforcement agencies can check validity instantly.

There is so little first-hand feedback on French and other ramp searches that it is hard to know what to believe.

I carry the original (carefully heat sealed in a food bag) of the CofFC for VAT, and that's about it.

Slopey
11th Aug 2010, 20:07
I'm aware of the ELT/PLB requirements and that's not a problem, the query was more whether the CoA and Reg Cert needed to be originals or if copies would do as there was a chance we might be able to source them in time.

jollyrog
11th Aug 2010, 21:43
Can't give them what you don't have.

Our Shareoplanne was re-registered a few weeks back, as the Trustee left the group and we nominated a new one (me). Certificate of Registration was requested by and returned to CAA. Put a photocopy in the 'plane in the interim.

One of our group members did a Le Touquet with the photocopy. No ramp check, but I had checked with the CAA before he went that the original had been received, just in case.