PDA

View Full Version : Canadian IFR Renewal

bunkhog
10th Aug 2010, 13:44
Just curious for those flying overseas what they pay to refresh their Canadian IFR rating. Have had a few guys looking at renting a sim to do an IFR ride to keep their rating so as not to have to write the exams again.

Is there a going rate for what guys charge as Pilot Examiners for this service? I have heard an ACP can charge between $400-800 for a ride...but that wouuld be an IFR/PPC. Are DFTEI/PE rides different?

Is there a company that one can contact to book an examiner? I thought I had heard of a comapny run by the ex-DFO of Air Ontario Brian Morris. Where to start looking?

Jumbo744
10th Aug 2010, 14:10
Hi!

the best place from my experience is Cornwall Aviation in Cornwall. They have 2 TC examiners working there, you can show up without appointments and they will do everything to do your renewal asap. The staff is great and the price is great too. You can do it in their simulator or in one of their PA44.

cornwallaviation.com

5LY
10th Aug 2010, 15:16
You don't necessarily have to keep your Can. license current. If you are flying on a validation based on it of course you do, but if you fly on another license and do regular sim checks, TC will waive the requirement to do the ATPL test again if you can show records of regular checks at an ICAO outfit. Just keep your training records and when you eventulally do come back, a ride and you're good to go.

Having said all of that, if you do need to keep it current, your IFR needs to be renewed every 2 years. Buttonville has a B58 (Baron) sim which is pretty cheap. About $100/hr. I think it was. Bit of a shock coming from the 777, but cost me less than $500 all up including the fees. PM me if you want details.

bunkhog
17th Aug 2010, 17:02
No, I guess you don't...but if you have an overseas licence based on having a Candian licence ( ICAO), then you must keep the Canadian one current. Spoke to an Air India pilot who retired from AC. He got his Indian licence because he had a Canadian licence. If his Canadian IFR expires, his Indian licence is invalid.