PDA

View Full Version : Can I fly a single?

Matthewjharvey
26th Feb 2002, 01:09
Appreciate anyones help on the following:

I have a JAR frozen ATPL thingy with only an MEP rating but I also have FAA CPL/IR single and multi. Can I hire and fly single engine aircraft in the UK. If so is this limited to VFR only or not? How about flying singles at night? Maybe it would be easier to get a SEP rating on my JAR license?

Fuji Abound
26th Feb 2002, 02:24
I will have a go at the reply - not sure if I am correct, so it will be interesting to hear other better informed views.

Your FAA license entitles you to fly G reg aircraft, but without IR or night privileges. Your FAA license will entitle you to a JAR license, and your IR to a CAA IMC, all of course subject to application. Your FAA IR does not entitle you to a JAR IR, and the CAA will specify what additional training is required.

Your JAR MEP is just that and does not give you license privileges on a SEP.

Presumably the CAA can direct what additional training you would require to add a SEP, but then again presumably it would be granted by right on the strength of your FAA SEP.

Noggin
26th Feb 2002, 17:43
What a load of twadle! Fuji

The man has a JAA frozen ATPL so he has a JAA IR. All he needs is to do a test on a SEP and add the rating to his licence, no additional training required.

Yes, he can fly with PPL privileges day VFR on the FAA licence but as he'll inevitably need a checkout to hire, it makes more sense to do the SEP test

Fuji Abound
26th Feb 2002, 18:52
Noggin - That’s the sort of constructive discussion we like to see on this forum.

Sadly I doubt it is helpful. If The Greaser has a SEP JAA IR on his license all well and good - assuming he has also completed a SEP annual renewal. If however he does not, as would seem implied by the question, my understanding is that his JAA multi IR rating no longer gives him SEP privileges, so he would need to do at least a test and possibly further training. It seems to me that is what I said previously, in a little less detail, with which you have not disagreed.

I agree Greaser may well have to take a GFT to add SEP privileges to his JAA multi ATPL. He will also need a current medical. That’s what I said in my earlier post.

I understand his FAA IR will give him an "automatic" CAA IMC rating on application, if he prefers to go this route. He may for example simply not want to put up with the time and expense of renewing his JAA SEP privileges every year and may not even wish to maintain a current JAA medical if he is using his FAA license. Moreover he may have no valid C of E or type rating on his frozen ATPL.

Finally I do agree that hire companies may prefer the hirer to have a current JAA license that a current FAA license – but I don’t actually know this to be the case. In any event they will want to undertake their own check flight.

Oh and don’t forget the PPL license says nothing about day or VFR privileges an all too common misunderstanding. It is a license to fly - nothing more. 3000 m vis. would be legal VFR for a PPL holder with no ratings, but then again so would 1500 m be legal VFR for a PPL with either IMC or IR privileges.

Stan Evil
26th Feb 2002, 20:43
Fuji - you're not reading the posts!!

Greaser has a JAA CPL/Frozen ATPL with a MEP rating and IR (NOT a multi-crew IR). Therefore his JAA IR privileges are valid both on SEP and MEP. To add an SEP class rating he just needs to fly a LST on a single (the term GFT died some years ago). Of course to use the IR it must be current (12 month validity). If, at the time he did it, he had asked for an IMC endorsement, he would have an IMC rating valid for 25 months. If he's now between 12 and 25 months since he did his JAA IR it may be possible to get the IMC endorsed but it'll cost money to the CAA.

Fuji Abound
26th Feb 2002, 21:03
Ah well thats all clear then - I will get out my crystal ball next time!!

It will be interesting to hear from The Greaser in due course.

[ 26 February 2002: Message edited by: Fuji Abound ]</p>

SimJock
26th Feb 2002, 21:06
With the pressure on all of us to ensure that we fly legally, Isn't it worrying that we still cannot determine for certain sometimes what we can and cannot do with the various licences and ratings ?

Which brave soul, who has access to the relevent information, is going to put up a web page that lists all the various licence permutations, including FAA licences, non JAR, N reg planes etc. It would be an extremely useful reference, if requiring regular updating.

GoneWest
26th Feb 2002, 21:13
I'm not convinced that Fuji is out of order here....it seemed a reasonable answer.

I thought the original question was "can I fly a single in the UK on my FAA license" - YES.

Can I night fly..NO.

Question now becomes "Do you want to night fly, in UK airspace, in a single engine piston aircraft?" If answer = yes, goto flying school and do Skill Test. If answer = no, goto same school and try to rent aircraft.

bookworm
27th Feb 2002, 12:41
Greaser

My reading of Article 21(4) of the ANO suggests that you may exercise the full privileges of your FAA licence on G-reg aircraft in the UK for private flights, except for IFR in controlled airspace.

That doesn't prohibit night flying, but any flight at night in a control zone would have to be under SFVR.

Matthewjharvey
27th Feb 2002, 21:49
Thankyou very much to everyone for the feedback, that was kind of what I thought. One thing though - I did my JAA CPL skills test on a single - should this not automatically put an SEP on my licence? . .Wouldn't it be nice if someday FAA licenses were accepted at face value in Europe, then again if it involves the same sort of inept, bungling, bureacratic shambles that is the JAR/CAA integration then maybe it is not such a good idea.

Noggin
27th Feb 2002, 23:08
Fuji - if you read and understood the post before you made comments, the dialogue might indeed be more constructive.

Greaser - nothing is automatic, if you had applied for a SEP Class rating you would no doubt have received one based upon that test. The Integrated course gives you one class rating, the second is an optional extra. If you had a PPL prior to application for the CPL/IR,the SEP rating would have been carried forward.

Final 3 Greens
28th Feb 2002, 00:37
What a wonderfu; thign is our new and "improved" JAR ....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!

Fuji Abound
28th Feb 2002, 02:32
Noggin

"I will have a go at the reply - not sure if I am correct, so it will be interesting to hear other better informed views."

to which your reply was "twadle."

I have re read my post and the question and the constructive replies with interest and pleasure. Glad to learn that your views are more informed than some and rather less informed than others!

Noggin
28th Feb 2002, 12:59
This bit is the twaddle:

"Your FAA license will entitle you to a JAR license, and your IR to a CAA IMC, all of course subject to application."

If you had read:

"I have a JAR frozen ATPL thingy with only an MEP rating"

You would know he already has one!!!!!!

Anyway enough of that. Too many threads lose the interest of others because they go off at a tangent. RTFQ

[ 28 February 2002: Message edited by: Noggin ]</p>

Airprox
2nd Mar 2002, 00:23
Noggin,

A frozen ATPL doesn't mean you have a IR! It simply means you have a CPL and the ATPL exams passed.

Stop slagging people for mistakes when your'e not perfect.