PDA

View Full Version : Qantas A380 Delayed:Pilot Unwell

labia vortex
10th Aug 2010, 03:59
Around last tuesday or wednesday a QF A380 was delayed ex LAX.
Big deal you say.Situation normal.
Apparently one of the pilots to operate this aircraft was "unwell"
The "unwellness" was self induced.
LAX ground staff were a little(a lot) pissed (off)
Anyone verify/comment?

fishers.ghost
10th Aug 2010, 04:08
QF PR would have been in damage control overdrive.
Would've cost a motsa and possibly a career.
Perhaps the guy just got his call time wrong.
Easy done

Col. Flagg
10th Aug 2010, 04:30
This does not surprise me at all.
might ask around, see if anyone has any more details. ie names

The The
10th Aug 2010, 05:13
Yes please do! I for one would be very interested in a name, and you could post it all over this site, and even send it to the newspaper. :mad:

Johhny Utah
10th Aug 2010, 05:18
By 'unwell' did you mean 'had been injured'...? Because according to Hallmark ground staff, apparently that was the case.

Perhaps the bigger question should be 'why weren't there any other F/O's available to operate the flight?' - which lead to the schedulers trying to shaft 2 F/O's that arrived on the morning of the delayed departure to operate back out again that night - a bare minimum 12 hours after touching down on arrival from SYD/MEL.

Sonny Hammond
10th Aug 2010, 05:47
The question Joyce will be asking is why his highly paid flt ops managers didn't have a proper recovery plan.
The days of relying on good will went out with the last few crap eba's and won't wash as a solution with the big boys.
I suspect those managers will be answering some tough questions and it will be their careers that are toast NOT the pilot who merely satisfied his legal responsibility.

Ken Borough
10th Aug 2010, 06:00
Perhaps the bigger question should be 'why weren't there any other F/O's available to operate the flight?' - which lead to the schedulers trying to shaft 2 F/O's that arrived on the morning of the delayed departure to operate back out again that night - a bare minimum 12 hours after touching down on arrival from SYD/MEL.

Geeeze. Since when did any airline have stand-by crew, or a recovery plan, at out-ports to cover the possibility of occasional illness and other adversities?

Get real guys - is this another example why pilots should stick to the flying?

LeadSled
10th Aug 2010, 06:04
----trying to shaft 2 F/O's that arrived on the morning of the delayed departure to operate back out again that night - a bare minimum 12 hours after touching down on arrival from SYD/MEL.

Why, pray tell, is that shafting anybody, if it is within the FTLs ??? ---- being turned around with minimum rest is all part of the game, it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

No airline can afford to have "formal" standby crews down the line, in this day and age.

Don't anybody forget, it is a criminal offense of strict liability to operate when unwell. Its happened to to me, both going sick at short notice down line ( food poisoning) and being turned around with min. rest.

Tootle pip!!

labia vortex
10th Aug 2010, 06:16
He injured himself after he became "unwell"
Whatever the case the situation has certainly highlighted some operational shortcomings that need to be addressed

hotnhigh
10th Aug 2010, 06:21
[QUOTE][No airline can afford to have "formal" standby crews down the line, in this day and age.
/QUOTE]

Wrong.
For example airlines have, in europe, used the practice for years for some of their long haul destinations to provide an operational flexibility that can cover a scenario like this. What it requires is some common sense on both sides of the fence. Oh, hang on that may be construed as engagement,.
It's not rocket science either!

LeadSled
10th Aug 2010, 06:22
Whatever the case the situation has certainly highlighted some operational shortcomings that need to be addressed

Labia ????
Nonsense, it does no such thing, the correct technical explanation for such problems is: "Sh1t happens".
Stick to MS Flight Sim.
Tootle pip!!

KRUSTY 34
10th Aug 2010, 06:48
hotnhigh hit the nail on the head methinks! :ooh:

Sonny Hammond
10th Aug 2010, 06:50
Ken,

I know that and you know too but will Joyce?

He will just want to know why the whole operation relys on one guy (not even a capt).
Also, there are options for recovery if management and the union could get together.
Heard of a landing qualified s/o? Dispensations or blanket approval in the case of disruption, then operate 3 man? Wow! And all from a mere pilot.

It's not that difficult.

MaxHelixAngle
10th Aug 2010, 06:53
What a hopeless thread.

Labia, You are wrong, and posting slanderous comments on an anonymous forum does nothing for your credibility.

Crew going sick in a slip port and alternative crewing arrangements having to be made, unfortunately sometimes incurring an aircraft delay, are a normal part of international airline operations.

My guess, given the timeframe of your post and the delayed A380 flight you are referring to, is that you weren't even there, and I highly doubt LAX Hallmark staff would give the public specific details on the unwellness (sic) of an operating crew member.

inandout
10th Aug 2010, 06:54
VA have crew on hotel/area standby for all it's flights.

drop bear ten
10th Aug 2010, 07:31
Johnny Utah

If being asked to be flexible and work within legal flight and duty limits to:

- stop inconveniencing 500 passengers

- avoid the massive cost of an A380 delay ie accomodation for hundreds; and
-subsequent delays to the most lucrative route in the QF network

is a "shafting" then perhaps that type of attitude is why Joyce is by-passing mainline for other "industrial solutions".

AND there is sweet f#@k all you can do about it.

Angle of Attack
10th Aug 2010, 07:51
Geeeze. Since when did any airline have stand-by crew, or a recovery plan, at out-ports to cover the possibility of occasional illness and other adversities?

I can also say SIA does this all the time in their slip ports, so well since airlines began it has been happening.

a bare minimum 12 hours after touching down on arrival from SYD/MEL.

I thought the arrivals get in early morning around 6-7am? Most of the departures leave around midnight so I dont think its 12 more like 17-18 that is a fair slip anyday.

Ka.Boom
10th Aug 2010, 08:02
S and L only become so when someone is named.
No one has been named
So calm down

MaxHelixAngle
10th Aug 2010, 08:21
Ka. Boom,

Since when does someone have to be named? Any pilot within Qantas could check who the F.O. was, it is not hard for that information to be found, also as you would be well aware, the crew on the flight would also know who it was. For Libel to be proven in the legal context the person does not have to be named if it is reasonable to expect that people can ascertain who it is that is being referred to.

Regardless, In the context of the post I am not trying to point to the legal aspect of libel but the willingness of someone to 'slag off' another professional pilot for no good reason (name known by all or not!).

Qanchor
10th Aug 2010, 08:27
This would never have happened if this flying had remained in possession of it's traditional owners, the 400...

labia vortex
10th Aug 2010, 08:33
1.I did not suggest it was an F/O.That was for others to speculate upon.
2.I was in LAX at the time.Contrary to popular belief there are patterns longer than 4 days in length.Hence the time lag.This situation is a work in progress as more information becomes available
3.I asked for verification and/or additional information
4.The operational requirements referred to are discipline and responsibility
5.Remedial reading classes are in order for Max Helix Angle who appears to confuse bad behaviour,"slagging off" and reponsible professionalism.No one should condone the poor behaviour of an individual who inconveniences colleagues,besmirches the public perception of professional pilots and disrupts the plans of several hundred paying customers though poor judgement and lack of integrity

Tidbinbilla
10th Aug 2010, 08:43
So, a pilot calls sick for duty in a slip port. I'm sure hundreds do every day.

Big deal.

Does this constitute airline news?

I think not.