PDA

View Full Version : Light TurboProp time vs Jet time

captkirk3000
9th Aug 2010, 17:14
Hey guys/gals, wanted some positive feed back...
At my current company, there are downgrading Captains on a light turboprop to First Officers due to financial problems...
My question is...I'm still current and qualified in the aircraft, should sit in the right seat and log PIC in hopes to be upgraded again even though it seems far from happening...
OR
If I am offered a First Officer position in a commercial jet in which am also typed at a stepping stone company, I would not only double my salary but build time in type until something better comes along...

What would any of you guys/gals do out there if you were faced with this?

captkirk3000
9th Aug 2010, 17:25
Yea but my current company isn't doing well at all, some people wonder if we will shut down. I am constantly looking for back ups but I may have an oppurtunity which wouldn't be a lateral move...my question is what would you do if you were in my shoes or what should I do?

Clandestino
10th Aug 2010, 06:47
Nevermind what you should do, if you stay with your current outfit, how do you plan tosit in the right seat and log PIC What's FAA view on this?

captkirk3000
10th Aug 2010, 15:42
Well I spoke to several FSDO's and they said, as long as am current and qualified I can log PIC once I am the sole manipulator of the flight controls!

B767PL
10th Aug 2010, 21:35
Interesting.

How can you log PIC, while acting as SIC?

Did they give you a FAR to reference?

latetonite
11th Aug 2010, 07:52
No, you cannot log PIC while acting as SIC. There is only one PIC aboard an Airplane, for a given sector.

casablanca
11th Aug 2010, 09:11
While part 61 does say you can log PIC while sole manipulator of controls, Im sure your "airline" is part 121.....Look on the flight plan/release, it will be very clear who is PIC. You take these hours to an airline interview and it will be looked at like fraud.

captkirk3000
11th Aug 2010, 13:22
Completely understood guys!
The FSDO's, Dir. of Trng. and THE FAA examiner who issued me my type advised me that I am perfectly legal to do this. I know it all sounds fishy but I don't know what to do...
I know certain companys like jetBlue specify that they only want the time that you sign for the aircraft.

B767PL
12th Aug 2010, 12:51
Without referencing any regualtions, the practice at least sure doesnt seem to make any sense.

Whatever you decide, make sure you get it in writing with a signature from the FSDO to back yourself up if it hits the fan.

Doubt airlines accept that as PIC time, though. Might even make them look a bit cock-eyed at you. Don't know how you can log PIC in 121 while not acting as such.

Best of luck man. :ok:

captkirk3000
12th Aug 2010, 13:12
Thanx, I really appreciate it!
Check this out...

FAR Part 61:51 deals with pilot logbooks and cites the instances in which pilots can log pilot-in-command flight time. These are:

only that flight time during which [the] pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, OR
when the pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft, OR
when acting as pilot-in-command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required (by type certification or flight regulations).
Additionally, airline transport pilots and certificated instructor pilots may log as pilot-in-command time that flight time during which they act as a pilot-in-command or instructor, respectively.

B767PL
12th Aug 2010, 14:31
I see what you're getting at man, but check out that FAR you posted.

FAR Part 61:51

While flying for the airlines, you're operating under FAR Part 121 regulations, so those regs dont apply.

captkirk3000
12th Aug 2010, 15:16
Yea I know I just wanted to share that with you, thanx for your help!

TOFFAIR
13th Aug 2010, 18:44
I would stay with the jet as long as possible... If the company is doing bad, why not wait wheter it goes bust or not, are you not getting paid or not flying? Once you apply for a job the hours will be what matters most and jet will certainly be more apealing, and as you try to enter a bigger carrier, chances are you have to start from the bottom, so light TP hours even being PIC dont seem to me as an advantage.

captkirk3000
14th Aug 2010, 00:37
Thanx your input! It is greatly appreciated...
I am definately waiting for an oppurtunity...I got an offer for an MD80 so far, but am not too sure about the company...I haven't heard anything good about this place except it being a good place to just build jet time...a friend of mine and a few others who work there told me, no pay during training for 3 months, false mx records, no direct deposits or any benefits of any kind...
So am just waiting tell something reliable comes my way!!