PDA

View Full Version : Pooleys Flight Computer for PPL course

AnotherPPLwannabe
6th Aug 2010, 21:02
Hi,

Is the Pooleys Flight Computer essential kit for doing the PPL course?

I've not started looking at the nav books yet, but have sort of been told that you only need to buy one if the intention is to go CPL, which I don't.

Any info?

Thanks.

XL319
6th Aug 2010, 23:03
:suspect: "A" flight computer is essential for any type of Aviation course. I would suggest the ARC1 from AFE or equiv from Pooleys! There is no need at PPL stage to buy a CRP5

Genghis the Engineer
8th Aug 2010, 13:36
I agree, absolutely essential. The specific model doesn't really matter however.

Personally I like the Pooleys CRP-1W as just about the nicest device for small aeroplane nav, but just about any variation will be fine including the cheap £16 ASA compressed cardboard one if you are on a budget.

G

BackPacker
8th Aug 2010, 13:49
Yes. My Jeppesen cardboard one is still going strong after five years.

Rhayader
8th Aug 2010, 14:16
It may seem a large initial outlay but try to invest in a PPL starter kit. You get the six books you will need (yes, you will need nav) a PPL confuser, kneeboard, ruler, square protractor, whizz wheel, VFR pads, VFR flight guide, pens, 1:500 000 chart and a bag to keep it all in. At the moment they are about £220, sometimes they turn up on e-bay for about a hundred but check that the books are the latest editions. Asking around your school may turn up a kit a recently qualified PPL wants to dispose of especially if he is going the commercial route. It will probably save you money in the long run if you get it up front.

Apart from that lot, other things like a fuel tester and check lists can be bought later when you are into the training.

:ok:

BigEndBob
8th Aug 2010, 14:39
Be really mean, photocopy one and make your own!