PDA

View Full Version : Brindabella runway incursion

sleeve of wizard
6th Aug 2010, 15:14
Brindabella SW4 at Newcastle on Aug 5th 2010, runway incursion
By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Aug 6th 2010 11:07Z, last updated Friday, Aug 6th 2010 11:10Z
A Brindabella Airlines Swearingen SA-227 Metro III, registration VH-TAG performing flight FQ-108 from Newcastle,NS to Canberra,AC (Australia), entered Newcastle's runway without clearance while a formation of two F/A-18 fighters was taking off.

Australia's ATSB reported that runway separation standards broke down and opened an investigation into the serious incident.

Baldnfat
9th Aug 2010, 03:05
Two 18's at T/O power. Now that could scratch some paint!:uhoh:

jiro
16th Aug 2010, 04:38
"Tell us about a time when you broke the rules..." :E

Waghi Warrior
16th Aug 2010, 11:53
So maybe the crew/s or ATC made a mistake. I'm sure they are aware of it and the required paperwork has been submitted to the relevant authoities. Please can't we move on with more important things in the industry. No offence and I have no relationship with anyone mentioned here,but this looks like a windup and a total waste of space thead to me,although I could be wrong.

kimwestt
16th Aug 2010, 23:54
Two - no wait - three incidents within a VERY short period of time.
1 - Overtemp start - engine replacement - out the bush somewhere,
2 - Off the taxiway into the mud - bad prop strike - (threw a rock some 100 metres and thru the window of a tour bus lucky no one was in the seat next to the window) a/c still stranded out at YMRE awaiting an engine and prop change, and
3- YWLM.
For the first two, hope someone has a big chequebook or a friendly bank manager..
4 - The CASA paperwork will probably drown all the incidents - and the respondents!

peuce
16th Aug 2010, 23:59
Waghi Warrior,

I beg to differ.
Runway Incursions are currently one of the biggest safety issues, both here and overseas.

Although guessing the specific possibilities here may not be helpful, the eventual ATSB report might provide some useful insights.... for us all.

The Green Goblin
17th Aug 2010, 01:38
1 - Overtemp start - engine replacement - out the bush somewhere,
2 - Off the taxiway into the mud - bad prop strike - (threw a rock some 100 metres and thru the window of a tour bus lucky no one was in the seat next to the window) a/c still stranded out at YMRE awaiting an engine and prop change, and
3- YWLM.
For the first two, hope someone has a big chequebook or a friendly bank manager..
4 - The CASA paperwork will probably drown all the incidents - and the respondents!

If it were the Metro off the taxi way, that NWS will get you every-time. Some like to pull very hard when they let go and the only thing you can do is jump on the anchors with a bit of reverse and hope you don't hit anything.

The amount of Metros off the runway for the same thing is almost laughable. I've had one do it to me, and I know of several others who have also experienced it.

18-Wheeler
17th Aug 2010, 06:39
If it were the Metro off the taxi way, that NWS will get you every-time. Some like to pull very hard when they let go and the only thing you can do is jump on the anchors with a bit of reverse and hope you don't hit anything.

The amount of Metros off the runway for the same thing is almost laughable. I've had one do it to me, and I know of several others who have also experienced it.

Unfortunately some operators have part of the before takeoff checklist as being the brief and that involves looking down at the plates and so on. One of the companies I worked for did this and I refused to do it, got called into the Chief Pilots office for a please explain which I did. I simply refused to do it as it's dangerous.
Not saying that Brindabella do this, but it's not uncommon and a pretty daft thing to do as it has run too many aeroplanes off the taxiways.

Desert Flower
17th Aug 2010, 07:23
2 - Off the taxiway into the mud - bad prop strike - (threw a rock some 100 metres and thru the window of a tour bus lucky no one was in the seat next to the window) a/c still stranded out at YMRE awaiting an engine and prop change,

Just out of curiousity, what's a Metro prop worth?

DF.

The Green Goblin
17th Aug 2010, 08:38
Quote:
2 - Off the taxiway into the mud - bad prop strike - (threw a rock some 100 metres and thru the window of a tour bus lucky no one was in the seat next to the window) a/c still stranded out at YMRE awaiting an engine and prop change,
Just out of curiousity, what's a Metro prop worth?

DF.

Generally more than your continued employment :}

Mach E Avelli
17th Aug 2010, 10:56
18 wheeler good point. WHY do operators persist with long taxi checklists and yapping to the instruments and each other after the aeroplane is in motion or close to the ground? Either do it before you move off blocks or passing 5000 feet after takeoff. The taxi, line-up and landing phases are no place to be doing anything but the very MINIMUM of checklists and talk fests. There should be a mandate: max 5 items on taxi, 2 on line-up and 3 before landing. Make it work, boys and girls (and manufacturers who write this stuff in their AFMs) - if it don't fit, memorise the rest.
Oh, and briefings. Max 30 seconds allowed. Your time starts now.....but before we start the engines please, or before we start the approach, please.
Not saying that this is the cause of the incidents under discussion, but distraction from the main event of simply driving the machine is so often implicated, rarely cited as causal.