PDA

View Full Version : Forced landing Haverfordwest 05/08/2010

dwshimoda
6th Aug 2010, 13:36
Listening in in 121.5 yesterday afternoon as a light aircraft (G-**IX I think) was talking to D & D with engine failure over Haverfordwest.

Sir, you did a perfect job. Both you and D & D were calm, cool and professional throughout. With no viable landing site and passing through 1,500 feet things didn't sound too promising. We were holding our breath after your transmissions ceased, and it was a huge relief on the flight deck when the Shamrock relayed your message of down safely, uninjured, and with the aircraft in tact.

In trying circumstances you performed perfectly - I only hope that if I am ever in a similar situation I can perform to the same level.

And folks, if you're ever in trouble, having heard D & D in action yesterday, get them on side as soon as possible. The were cool, calm, and reassuring. Professional to the end.

Well done all round guys!

Jan Olieslagers
6th Aug 2010, 13:39
Cheers to all, most of all to the PIC!

What's D&D? Belated version of B&B?

dwshimoda
6th Aug 2010, 13:56
Distress & Diversion. It's part of London Centre run by the Military and provides a service to the UK. Very impressive it is as well - I visited them last year and their ability to provide instant triangulation and help is amazing. As was proved yesterday - I believe they had a local Police helicopter on scene within a few minutes.