PDA

View Full Version : Meteorology exam

Kiev23
5th Aug 2010, 18:46
Hi,

I am due to take my meteorolgy exam on saturday and would like any tips for the exam, perhaps little things that helped you remember things, or just any general things to watch out for, as i have come across quite a few dodgy questions with regards to the met exam.

Thanks in advance

Kiev23

turbulentmonkey
5th Aug 2010, 19:01
hey! i took my met exam on tuesday. i would say learn the weather associated with different air mass - polar maritime etc. and being able to interpret metars/tafs quite well. one thing i never studied much and probably should have was met 215 charts - there was a few questions on these so get stuck in and RELAX :ok:

Kiev23
5th Aug 2010, 19:07
Cheers thanks,

Any particular questions you remember ?

turbulentmonkey
5th Aug 2010, 20:01
yeah 1 was:

2 types of icing you can get in cloudless conditions. i answered hoar frost and carb icing. im sure thats correct :bored:

also:

the last question was very longwinded! a page of a4 describing a taf and a metar. you had to make a decision - look closely at the figures. 2 of the answers were exactly the same but with different visibility values so make sure you READ the questions clearly.

make sure you know a little on mountain waves, rotors etc and also the values for cloud descriptions:

FEW - 1-2 oktas
SCT - 3/4 oktas
ETC...

by the way i felt like i was guessing every question but it was all good. so dont let the head go down...

YOU'LL BE FINE :ok:

let us know how you get on

HighFlyer75
5th Aug 2010, 22:30
Agree with turbulentmonkey on the Metform 215. I did the exam recently and there were a lot of questions that involved interpreting this chart.

This was one of the exams I was worried about because it seemed a bit vague in some cases when I was doing practice exams. Questions along the lines of "What would happen if the conditions were as follows...." always seemed like there was more than one valid answer to me but you had to pick the one they were looking for. This is probably the guessing that turbulentmonkey was talking about.

In the end I did okay and I only got one question wrong. It was on the difference between surface wind and the wind at 2000 feet at night. I knew the answer for the day but the difference for night eluded me at the time.

One other piece of advice I would give is that I found the format of this exam more closely matched the example exams from the PPL Questions and Answers Simplifier (Jeremy Pratt) rather than the confuser so if you are comfortable with the exams in the simplifier you should be fine.

turbulentmonkey
5th Aug 2010, 22:42
Have to agree with you highflyer - it was very vague. I felt like i was guessing every 2nd question. Not that i was expecting another exam like the human performance! And the simplifier done the trick for me too.

Now nav...

:ugh:

Kiev23
6th Aug 2010, 21:33
Cheers for the help guys........yeah i have been through both the confuser and the afe q and a simplifier. The confuser questions seem quite a bit harder but i can get 85 - 90 % in them. As for the Q and A simplifies i can get 100%. Really really dont wanna fail this exam !!

Thanks again !

Kiev23
7th Aug 2010, 14:10
Hi,

Thanks for all the tips and help. I got 95% !! v pleased !!

Now to Nav !

Thanks again

Kiev23

HighFlyer75
7th Aug 2010, 15:34
Congrats on the result. Well done.