PDA

View Full Version : Working in Canada

Timsflyboy
5th Aug 2010, 13:53
Im on the job hunt and Ive been looking towards Canada recently. Need some info though that hopefully some people have. A lot of the places Im looking at require a Candian commercial license. I have an American FAA commercial license. Does this make a difference? If it does, whats the process to get qualified for a Canadian license?? Also a lot of the places I'm looking at require the IATRA exams to be completed before applying.... What is IATRA and how would you take the exam?? I would appreciate any insight to the subject as I am fairly new to the Canadian job hunt.

Thanks

altiplano
5th Aug 2010, 18:02
I think there are threads on here that cover much of what you seek.

Quickly though...

Convert FAA CPL - check Transport Canada's website. You will not work for a Canadian commercial operator with only an FAA license unless it is a private operator based here but owning N-registered aircraft. Not common.

IATRA exam - again refer to Transport Canada. IATRA will allow you to hold a type rating on a certified 2 crew aircraft if you don't yet hold an ATPL.

The other thing to consider is citizenship or residency. Do you have either? If not your job hunt is a non-starter...

CaptGodfather
6th Aug 2010, 07:24
Well, IATRA is sort of a frozen ATPL. It is just a regular objective exam and you need to have minimum 250 hrs to appear.

And as far as converting the FAA CPL to Canadian is concerned, I believe you just have to give a written exam. Check out TC website for detailed information.

R.Barry
1st Sep 2010, 06:05
Canada & the USA have mutually come up with a process to convert one licence to the other.

To go from Canada to the USA I know that one just needs to write a single exam and all your endorsements etc get transfered to the same level of licence e.g. ATPL-Aeroplane --> ATP-Airplane

https://www.gleim.com/aviation/ gives a course for the canadians. I do not know if there is a similar course for the americans to use.