PDA

View Full Version : ATC in Canada

TAAMGuy
4th Aug 2010, 19:14
Curious what the attitudes towards ATC in Canada are from the international community. Does anyone have a sense that the system has improved over time?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Aug 2010, 19:53
I had a few ex-colleagues from overseas and from London Control head to Canada so they must have enjoyed it. Most were fairly normal, house-trained people too!

Married a Canadian
4th Aug 2010, 21:40
Curious what the attitudes towards ATC in Canada are from the international community

Not sure what you are driving at? Did Canadian ATC have a bad reputation before?
There have been enough Brits in the last 10 years go over to work...so it can't have been too bad.

Number2
5th Aug 2010, 08:01
Plenty of Brits that went over and rather promptly turned round and went back too. No doubt any Canadians on here think they have the best system etc etc. Isn't CAATS 'at the forefront of ATC technology' despite being considered obsolete by anyone with other experience?

chevvron
5th Aug 2010, 11:11
Back in the '50s, a number of UK ATCOs went to Canada to help start the ATC system there. I met one at Farnborough (Les Kemp) who didn't seem to want to talk much about it apart from admitting he'd been there.

Mr. Pig
5th Aug 2010, 12:55
TAAMGuy - you could ask the "international community" within NavCanada. I'm sure you will get some very candid responses :E

Married a Canadian
5th Aug 2010, 17:12
Number 2

Just trying to clarify the question as it doesn't seem to have any specifics to it.
The experienced controller program attracted enough applicants so the reputation of ATC in Canada before hand couldn't have been too bad. I know the stories about those who returned home afterwards...and sympathise...but that dosen't answer the original point...and a lot of the issues experienced were not really about the procedural part of the job and the systems in place.

No doubt any Canadians on here think they have the best system etc etc

As would the Brits, the Americans, the French etc etc...maybe even the Spanish:E ATC can be a very insular job so those sentiments will be expected.

CAATS...ermm OK next question.

TAAMGuy
11th Aug 2010, 19:36
My question was really aimed at pilot's perceptions. It has just dawned on me that this is the wrong forum to pose that question. My apologies! :\

TAAMGuy
11th Aug 2010, 19:43
Was wondering about the perceptions of ATC in Canada from the perspective of international flight crews. Do you think the system has improved over the years? How does it compare to ATC in the U.S. or Europe. Please factor in relative traffic volume when elucidating! :)

Bring back Tridents
12th Aug 2010, 11:48
I try not to hold Nav Canada responsible for our EFPS but it's very difficult!! :mad:

ex-EGLL
13th Aug 2010, 15:56
I had a few ex-colleagues from overseas and from London Control head to Canada so they must have enjoyed it. Most were fairly normal, house-trained people too!

Thanks B... I think!