PDA

View Full Version : Morocco and Western Sahara trip

SP-THC
2nd Aug 2010, 21:05
as Dakhla seems to be a nice windsurfing spot I am considering a flight to GMMH (Dakhla-Western Sahara-Morocco) from Warsaw, Poland. That would be a IFR flight in C182. I assume refuel in Germany/Switzerland/France and overnight in Spain - Almeria (LEAM) looks optimal for me.

Then I have only :) 1000 nm to Dakhla. In Morocco would like to make customs/refuel in preferebly GMAT (Tan Tan) or GMAG (Ghulimim) or lager apt of GMAD (Agadir), and here my questions:

- any advice where to refuel avgass (costwise) - Southern Germany/Switzerland/France area of Grenoble etc.?
- do you have experience with Almeria (GA friendliness, landing fees, Avgass availability, EU exit immigration)? If Almeria is not good any nearby recommendations?

I read that Morocco is GA friendly and things should be generally easy (I know I need to take lots of small money and cash for pmts), but:
- anyone has an experience where to make first stop and customs/immigration (GMAT/GMAG or GMAD)?
- is Avgass available there? how much?
- do you have contacts for those airports? preferebly in English, I do not speak French :(
- have anyone been in Dakhla (GMMH)? what about fuel and costs there? any contacts?
- do you have a link to Morocco AIP (I sam some links in old threads concerning Morocco but those seem not to work anymore)
- I know I need to get jepp Africa Low Enrout 2 & 3 charts, but do you have a link to Airport plates or I need to buy from jeppesen as well?

any advice would be very helpful :)

Gschlatter
3rd Aug 2010, 13:51
Hi ; I'm living in Switzerland. From frequent flights to Spain I know that there will be no problems to get Avgas in Germany (2.50 Euros) Switzerland (CHF 2.50 ; 1.9 Euros), France (2.20 Euros) and Spain. A good place to refill in Spain is Gerona (right after the french border) ; I dont remeber the exact prices, but landing fees and fuel prices are average.
I cannot answer all our questions, but : look at SIA - La référence en information aéronautique (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/asp/frameset_fr.asp?m=16) for free IAC's.
Please let me know if you find out something about avgas availability in Morocco ; i'm planning a flight to Mopti/Mali. One possible way would be to fly via Morocco - Mauritania if Avgas is availagle in Morocco. kindest regards George

rokami93
3rd Aug 2010, 15:01
Hello,

on AvGas: always cheaper in France than in Germany or Spain. So try to plan your trip that you can fill up when entering and leaving France.

Good luck!

Gschlatter
3rd Aug 2010, 17:56
free of charge at http://www.sia-aviation.gov.ma/eAIP/AD/index.htm (http://www.sia-aviation.gov.ma/eAIP/AD/index.htm)

LH2
4th Aug 2010, 11:42
Give Hans from Fly-in-Spain (Google for website) a call. They're based in Jerez and seem to have plenty of expertise across the Strait.

SP-THC
4th Aug 2010, 12:28
thank you for help and all advise,
Morocco AIP is really very helpful :)

Gsclatter - it looks there is an avgass in most of Morocco apts (Flightsystem, premier portail de l'aviation légère et sportive Marocaine (http://www.flightsystem.net/)), i have not called them yet but will,
and concerning your trip to Mali - Morocco route is definitely easier to arrange than above Algeria

one question - I will be refueling around Geneva Lake, is Avgass cheaper in Switzerland or in France? can you recommend particular apt you have experience with?

werewolf
4th Aug 2010, 16:09
"" France (2.20 Euros) "" Oh my dear !
where ?

Gschlatter
4th Aug 2010, 17:22
Avgas in general is cheaper in Switzerland than in France. If you like big airports, land in Geneva (slots req. at some times), but it is easier in Lausanne (VFR only, Y flight plan, cancel IFR at FRI VOR). Avgas price is about the same (2.50 CHF), the landing fees in Lausanne are lower. At both airports you have access to meteo and AIS via an so called amie - Terminal, easy to use and free of charge. Both airports have customs. Swiss IAC's are not yet available in the internet, but if i'm at home at the time of your flight, I could forward an electronic copy of the latest Jepps edition to you.
Somebody was wondering about my remarks about avgas prices in France - I'm going to look up the bills of my flight to Corsica two weeks ago.

Katamarino
4th Aug 2010, 18:28
I wanted to land at Lausanne on my trip next week; but could not find the Swiss AIP online. Does anyone have a link to a version I can access without paying hundreds of Euros?

I accessed some of it through EAD Basic, but there's no AD information for Lausanne, for a start...

172driver
6th Aug 2010, 09:07
Almeria is no problem. Not a very nice town, though. As you're IFR, you could also go into Malaga (LEMG) or if small fields take your fancy, Axarquia (LEAX), although the radio there is Spanish only, at least officially. Both have AVGAS.

The furthest south I have been in Morocco was Errashidia. Avgas has never been a problem in the north of the country, but gets a bit problematic further south. Ouarzazate used to have it. Check in advance as much as possible.

As you will be IFR, the routing issue on VFR flights doesn't apply to you. Should be a nice trip, enjoy :ok:

Papa Mike Mike
14th Aug 2010, 16:11
Great trip - Tangiers is a great entry point, often strong cross winds so check that when departing spain. Ive often stopped in Seville and did this earlier last week, fees were EUR 15 if you return to their from maroc they expect you to take handling eur100. Avoid Al Hoceima which is closest to Algerian border on coast, they are very very slow, Both Fez which is an alternative to Tan and Tan are great, they ops people will give you all of the vfr points to fly (I recommend vfr as you can stay low level and fly the great landscapes which turn to red. Al hoceima love to say no or be awkward.

A good piece of advice is to take several photocopies of all of your documents, make sure you have everything in order, insurance etc. and hand this to them. Tangiers very welcoming, great long runway off the coast. Fuel reasonable.

Im based at LFMD Cannes - fuel is cheap / great little restaurant here too, from LFMD, the best route is LFMD STP (St Tropez) 1000ft great private yachts and full beaches to see!! TLN, BGR (Bagur is NE Tip of spain past Perpignan it avoids the low level vfr route past Marseille and is a lot shorter) BGR route west of barcelona airspace over Sabadell, VLN, YES, (Granada ) then direct into Seville - YES is a beacon over the Sierra Nevada - recommend 9000 Ft afternoons often lots of turbulence at this time of year. I would start Maroc early in a morning. Best of luck PM me if you need any further info. Yes Maroc very friendly GA, just keep clear of Al Hoceima, it is also the heart of the RIF which exports 27% of Europes Hash & Harder drugs, they threw two fat sniffer dogs into my plane sniffing for stuff, and i also arrived 30 minutes before the king and then they put me in a room for 3 hours for security reasons. Avoid where the king goes they get very excited. If he is at home there will be NOTAM no flys over FEZ but Tan or anywhere you stop will make this clear to you. Best of luck!! Im interested to hear about Dhaka??

jerezflyer
16th Aug 2010, 14:38
I think you will find that you will have to use Tangier as your airport of entry into Morocco, as this is where the authorisations are given.