PDA

View Full Version : AFE VFR Flight Guide

sammypilot
2nd Aug 2010, 19:03
Is anybody else having problems keeping this Flight Guide up to date? When you buy it you can register to have amendments mailed to you. Until this year that has happened with no problem. That service now appears to have ceased although still advertised. You can also update from the AFE website. However no amendments have been promulgated on that since June 2010.

Emails to the company and it's Managing Director to find out what is happening do not elicit a response. Anybody else had any luck?

Fuji Abound
2nd Aug 2010, 19:10
No idea - sorry.

I am not making excuses for them but your post made me recall when I would studioulsy up date the guide to account for the amendments during the year.

I eventually realised that it was a complete and utter waste of my time and gave up doing so. Frankly nothing of critical important ever really changes.

It is a different matter when it comes to plates; I am not an advocate of using plates that could have changed but far less worried about a VFR flight guide.

I always thought AFE to be the best but after I couldnt get a copy last year changed to the opposition. I will probably change back next year if I can.

soay
2nd Aug 2010, 20:04
I wondered why I'd not received any updates either, so phoned them to ask what was going on. In my case, I'd registered at the web site listed in the Guide, but that seems to have been silently abandoned. You now have to do it using the links in the box at the top left of this page (http://www.afeonline.com/shop/). I suggested that they provide links from their original site, but that fell on stony ground.

ak7274
3rd Aug 2010, 04:13
Unfortunately I bought and registered this year. I contacted them about not receiving updates and they apologised,saying they had put me back on their list and that maybe it was my fault for not correctly registering. It was ok last year,why not this year?
Still got no updates,so I won't be buying another one I'm afraid.

Black Prince
3rd Aug 2010, 07:04
Same problem. I've contacted them via e-mail and even though I'd already registered was asked to send them my details. I still haven't been sent any e-mail updates. I've also got the loose leaf version which should have updated pages sent in the post, but none as yet this year!
It's a different guide for me next year.

Ringway Flyer
30th Aug 2010, 07:42
It's not only me, then!! I've been using the AFE guide for over 10 years, usually the spiral bound version. This year I changed to the loose leaf version and... no mid year update. I rang them in late June and they asked me to chase them up if nothing happened. Well it hasn't, and I did, and my email has been ignored.

A couple of years ago I spoke to Louise about the contents list at the front, which is in PAGE order - a bit pointless! I suggested making it alphabetical. Nothing happened. So earlier this year I wrote to Jeremy Pratt with a similar suggestion. No response. I ended up typing it out in Word, telling it to sort into alphabetical order, then printed it out to A5 and stuck it over the original.

I'm another that will be looking elsewhere next year, and will be going back to a spiral bound version. :ugh:

jez d
3rd Sep 2010, 13:19
I have just visited the LAA rally. Good show :ok:

AFE has a tent there and I managed to get a VFR guide update booklet from them.

I asked them what the problem has been and was told that they "have had some issues with updates" but these had now been sorted.

I told them about this thread on pprune and they have said that anyone who is visiting the show can pick up a copy of the booklet. Alternatively, if you contact their office, they will now send you a free copy.

I also suggested they respond to this thread to explain their lack of response to previous poster's email enquiries. We'll see what happens!

Cheers, jez

A and C
3rd Sep 2010, 15:07
Jeppview is the answer............ updated on line in seconds, print the plates you need for the trip and bin them at the end of the day. So you always have the up to date info in your hands for the minimum effort.

tmmorris
3rd Sep 2010, 18:17
A and C

Slight cost differential, though...!

Tim

Rod1
3rd Sep 2010, 18:26
Got the AFE guide for the first time as no local airfields selling Pooleys (which I have use for many years). Very unimpressed, my year old Pooleys contains less errors!

Does Jeppview cover all the strips?

Rod1

sammypilot
3rd Sep 2010, 19:48
Jez D. Thanks for the update. I have sent an Email requesting hard copy updates so I will see how it goes. Not holding my breathe however.

A and C
3rd Sep 2010, 22:14
To quote the old arab proverb "cheap in not so cheap".

The trouble is that you usualy only find out after you have parted with your money!

ROD 1

The Jepp strip coverage is a bit mixed, the only answer for strips is the Lockyear strip giude, this covers just about all of them.

flybymike
4th Sep 2010, 00:06
I was in Glenforsa last weekend and 'phoned for a taxi using the number printed in the AFE guide.

The nice lady who answered the phone said:

"Och! We have nae done the taxi business for donkey's years!"