PDA

View Full Version : Air2bob Layoffs

Simon Miller
16th Nov 2001, 17:21
Well the letter from Air2000 arrived this morning saying my contract had been terminated from the 16/11.Myself and the other 31 pilots have a month (on full pay)while the number of people who are taking voluntary redundancy or early retirement are finalised. This should reduce the number of people facing compulsory redundancy.
So is it a month off or the end of a short (but sweet career) with 2bob!! depends on our position on the redundancy list. :( :(

Knold
16th Nov 2001, 17:46
Do you only have one month prior notice for cancellation of employment at A2B? :confused:

Devils Advocate
16th Nov 2001, 19:32
Very sorry to hear this news - I've got a couple mates who work for Air2Bob.

Uhm, now echoing what Knold says above, do you only have a one month notice period at A2B ?

Many(most) airlines have a 3 month requirement for notice of resignation or redundancy (from employee and airline, respectively).
Accordingly, if it was three months, I'd have thought that (at best) they'd pay you three months dosh yet let you leave at your earliest convenience - failing that (at worst), they'd give you three months notice of the redundancy and require you work the whole stint.

In any event I wish you the best of luck, keep yer chin up, and try to remember that things will get better ! - heck you might find that, come the spring, they'll be on the blower begging you to come back coz they're short of crew !

[ 16 November 2001: Message edited by: Devils Advocate ]

dv8
16th Nov 2001, 20:01
Were you still on your probationary period? That might explain the one month notice. In any case my commiseration to you and your colleagues. Bin there and still wearing the T-shirt.

LAVDUMPER
16th Nov 2001, 20:14
Buttonmonkey,

Very sorry to hear about your situation - it is happening "big time" in the States as well...

Is there any indication that you will EVENTUALLY be asked back? Does this mean you are indefinitely "furloughed" or does it mean terminated? Will you be allowed to return when demand picks up - will you be among the first called back?

What aircraft/fleet did you fly out of Midlands?

Best of luck - stay strong!

Cheers

Simon Miller
16th Nov 2001, 22:58
Thanks for the support guys.

If we are finished on the 17/12 we will then get three months pay in leiu of notice( taxable) which isn't to bad.

Lets hope things pick up and we get called back, who knows in this fickle industry.

P.S. B757 ex BHX

strobes_on
17th Nov 2001, 14:50
Buttonmonkey

Having been through this twice in my career, I can totally relate to your current situation.

Hope you and others in the same position find work soon.

Fr8t M8te
17th Nov 2001, 15:05
Button Monkey

With your attitude and perspective I would hope that you will be back in work very soon.

In the meantime grab some cheap tickets and go and sit in a cheap warm country in the sun and chill out until things get better.

Very best wishes to you!

[ 17 November 2001: Message edited by: Fr8t M8te ]