PDA

View Full Version : The RFDS

GoodbyeGA
31st Jul 2010, 07:03
Just saw an ad in the paper, RFDS Medical Doctors needed, accom and car provided, Pay: $1260 PER DAY!:eek:

How can a non-profit organisation afford that?

Arnold E
31st Jul 2010, 07:19
Bloody hell, which section?:eek::eek::eek: I might go and get a medical degree.:eek::eek::eek:

PLovett
31st Jul 2010, 07:30
In many communities, for example, Tennant Creek, the local GP is provided by the RFDS. The doctors are usually on a one month fly-in, fly-out arrangement. The whole practice is run on commercial lines with bulk-billing through Medicare.

cficare
31st Jul 2010, 07:39
...you wont get a Dr any other way.....

poteroo
1st Aug 2010, 00:29
Many consulting professionals are receiving at least that figure,($1260 p/d). If you break it down to an hourly basis - then you're looking at $158/hr. Now by any measure - that's a low number for a consulting medico,engineer,geologist or other professional. Think the law - and it pales into insignificance! It helps that RFDS throw in the overheads - but they probably need to do this to offset the remote area living and irregular hours.

happy days,

Arnold E
1st Aug 2010, 00:38
If you break it down to an hourly basis - then you're looking at $158/hr. Yeah, when you look at it that way it is different. I recently paid that ($39 per 1/4 hour)
for a plumber. (plus call out). Maybe it might be easier to get a plumbers ticket.:{

puff
2nd Aug 2010, 07:12
As I understand it the RFDS is a not for profit organisation. However the government subsidises all the wages costs and fuel of the organisation paying fair market rates to nurses/doctors/pilots and administration roles.

The fund raising they conduct helps in the purchase and fit out of the aircraft.

Rather than critise the wages that the doctors earn, either get qualifications and go to uni for 7 years, go thru internships etc on poor money before you start to earn that sort of money.

They get paid what they worth and what they as a profession 'value' their labour and skills at, like any other profession where high wages are on offer.

PPRuNeUser0161
8th Aug 2010, 12:01
The bottom line is thats the going rate for a suitably experienced MO. If they dont pay it they dont get any applications. Most get above the 200K mark as a base plus housing and all bills paid. The RFDS get funding from the various government agencies for these jobs. But yes, medicine in my next life! Aviation is fun for a bit until you realise theres more to life than a fancy cockpit.
SN