PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Tech Log

Tyler Durden
30th Jul 2010, 14:38
A few questions please regarding the aircraft log book. Not the engine or prop, but, the log we would enter each flight in.

Do you need a seperate sheet per day, or, can multiple flights from different days be entered on the one sheet?

Does the pilot have to record his licence no. on the log?

Do the sheets have to be numbered sequentially?

If there are no more log sheets in the aircraft can you still fly?

Our engineer suggests that the log needs to be completed before the aircraft can be handed over to the next pilot, as such if there are no more log sheets then the aircraft cannot technically be flown.

I'd be grateful for your comments. Thank you.

Edit: The aircraft is on EASA C of A.

madlandrover
30th Jul 2010, 21:30
A daily log is irrelevant to the maintenance status of the aircraft - it merely allows an easy way of logging & billing hours, as well as identifying who was flying the aircraft at particular times for a school/hire aircraft. For a private aircraft a maintenance company should only require the airframe, engine, and for a CSU prop logbooks. Unless my CAMO is missing something every year...!

bern444
30th Jul 2010, 21:47
I asked roughly this a short while back, and then I asked the CAA, who said that a CAA (not EASA) aircraft such as a PA28 not used for public paid transport is covered in Article 34 and Schedule 6 of the ANO. I realise that doesn't quite help in your case, but it may give some guidance.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf

CAA aircraft not covered by an AOC don't need a tech log, just the requirements above. As for EASA....?

The man at the CAA to ask is Neil Williams - [email protected]

B

bookworm
31st Jul 2010, 13:46
who said that a CAA (not EASA) aircraft such as a PA28 not used for public paid transport is covered in Article 34 and Schedule 6 of the ANO

Why would a PA28 not be an EASA aircraft?

bern444
31st Jul 2010, 14:32
Why would a PA28 not be an EASA aircraft? ...the madness of current aircraft regulation - I don't know !

Someone may, but make sure that you get an opinion from a real in charge source on any of this stuff. I think an EASA C of A and a CAA C of A might be two different things - or not....

My question about tech logs, which I asked here first, apparently bounced around the CAA for a while before Neil Williams answered, but I think he is the correct authority.

B

bern444
31st Jul 2010, 14:38
This is Mr Williams -

"The CAA can allow a tech log system that makes use of computer generated log sheets to be used- however, the ANO obligates the CAA to review and approve the format of the alternative record before it is put into use. In order to determine if need to apply could you please answer the following questions:
1). Do you operate and aircraft which is not subject to EASA regulations i.e. Your aircraft holds an National Certificate of Airworthiness.

2). Does your aircraft have a maximum total weight authorised of 2730kg or less.

3). Do you use your aircraft for aerial work or public transport as defined in Article 259 and 260 of the ANO, respectively.

4). Is your aircraft operated by the holder of a 'national air operator's certificate'.

If the answer is 'no' to any of the above questions it is unlikley that your aircraft is required to carry an approved technical log. "

...though I think in (2) he may have meant "more" not "less"

B

bern444
31st Jul 2010, 14:41
...and here is Schedule 6 part 1 -

AIRCRAFT, ENGINE AND PROPELLER LOG BOOKS
Aircraft log book
1 The following entries must be included in the aircraft log book:
(a) the name of the constructor, the type of the aircraft, the number assigned to it
by the constructor and the date of the construction of the aircraft;
(b) the nationality and registration marks of the aircraft;
(c) the name and address of the operator of the aircraft;
(d) the date of each flight and the duration of the period between take-off and
landing, or, if more than one flight was made on that day, the number of flights
and the total duration of the periods between take-offs and landings on that day;
(e) subject to paragraph 2, detailed information about all maintenance work carried
out on the aircraft or its equipment;
(f) subject to paragraph 2, detailed information about any defects occurring in the
aircraft or in any equipment required to be carried by or under this Order, and of
the action taken to rectify such defects including a reference to the relevant
entries in the technical log or the approved record required by article 27(2) and
(3); and
(g) subject to paragraph 2, detailed information about any overhauls, repairs,
replacements and modifications relating to the aircraft or any such equipment as
aforesaid.