PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Decisions

RL81
29th Jul 2010, 13:09
Hello! I passed my stage three NATS assessment recently and I’m looking for some guidance to help me make a decision on which course / career to aim for. I’ve been on a visit to Swanwick so I’ve seen the Area Controller side of things. Does anyone have experience of Approach / Aerodrome? What are the different courses like? What are peoples views on the different roles? Thanks!

twentypoint4
29th Jul 2010, 14:03
Well done for getting through!
I recently completed the aerodrome and approach courses at the college. At the time the courses didn't seem that fun purely because of the amount I had to push myself to get through, however looking back I realise how much of a good time I had! If you do end up doing aerodrome I'd highly recommend at the end of it trying to get onto an approach course. Getting the radar experience on top of the aerodrome course was amazing and leaving the college with the 2 tickets puts you in a good place!!
You can actually still end up at Swanwick after doing the aerodrome and approach courses, however you'll be just using your approach licence on one of the London airports' approach radar services.
Can't really speak much for the area side, however the area guys I knew loved it and were forever bragging as if they were the better ones...
If you get through all 3 of the area courses (basic, foundation and advanced) without "touching the sides" you're looking to be at college for roughly 11-12 months with a couple of weeks break inbetween the courses. Similarly if you get through the aerodrome course you could be out at a London airport (tower only) within 5 months, or with the approach course tagged on aswell, you could be at a regional (tower and approach), or Swanwick (approach only) in 9-10 months.
However Its rare to get through without any hiccups, so dont get down if you fail something, instead be positive and if you'd previously shown the competence then your bound to get a re-course or 2.
Good luck!

OCK Hi
30th Jul 2010, 15:42
As one of those afore mentioned area types I'll give my point of view:
Anyone who joined ATC over 20 years ago when you got all of your ratings at the college would tell you to start an a aerodrome and maybe move to area if you've had enough of approach after a few years.
However as you don't get more than one rating now when you leave the college you're pretty much stuck with what Nats decided would be your future role. There are ways to go from approach to area or vica versa but usually means a 3 year stint at the college again as an instructor.
So assuming you want to make a choice for life you need to decide what's important. Since our ex CEO split the company in 2 (airports and area (incl the approach units at Swanwick), general consensus is that your job is safer in NERL, the area side of things.As rumour has it that NSL, airports, is the non earning part of Nats that needs to be sold off one day.
I work in the TMA at Swanwick and can say that the challenge is there everyday to stop any boredom and working on a large watch is very sociable.
I always wanted to be an airfield/approach controller when I joined but didn't get either, however I wouldn't change my area job for any other posting now.
If money is important, Heathrow, Gatwick and Swanwick is where the biggest paid jobs are, even though there are a few posts at Swanwick that are non deserving of the grade!!
Whatever you decide or get given, the job and life of an ATCO ain't to shabby!!

aerotech07
30th Jul 2010, 19:54
As everyone will tell, its a great job and you will love whichever discipline you do. Also, every ATCO will tell you their own discipline is the best.

As stated above, sadly its not all about the aspects of the job itself anymore when discussing Area vs Aerodrome/Approach.

NSL, the airports side of the business works in a competitive market and is contracted to provide ATC at the airports it works at. Its a tough industry out there currently, and we are told that there are very real dangers that NATS could lose contracts. Depending on your viewpoint it may not be the end of the world, there will still be jobs out there, just maybe not with NATS. And for those that are still NATS contracts I expect the T&Cs will vastly change in the coming years so that NATS can remain "competitive".

NERL, the area side, Swanwick and Prestwick is in a much better way. Their "contract" is from the government to provide ATC in UK airspace. It is almost inconcievable that would be lost. It is also apparently in a much better place financially.

To summarise:

Area - probably going to work at Swanwick or Prestwick for all of your (UK) career. Top end of the payscales, and in a much more secure place.

Aerodrome/Approach - nice to be able to have 2 licenses and use both. Further down the payscales (unless at Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester). More flexibility for career prospects around the country, both inside and outside NATS. However its a changing industry, contarcts could change, T&Cs will almost certainly change.

The only anomoly is the Approach controllers that do the London airports that work in Swanwick. If they have dormant tower tickets they're probably in the best seat of all!

It is a great career either way though :ok:

RL81
30th Jul 2010, 21:30
Thanks for the responses guys!