PDA

View Full Version : cvt atc

0523 cov man
29th Jul 2010, 12:28
any one known when cvt coventry atc opens back up. 0523 covman

autothrottle
29th Jul 2010, 15:21
Hi there cov man,

I wasn't aware of a problem, but sadly don't fly much in that neck of the woods anymore. What is the story?

A/t

chevvron
29th Jul 2010, 15:53
Where has autothrottle been for the last 12 months? Isn't he aware of the Coventry situation?

StainesFS
29th Jul 2010, 17:02
The following appears today on the NATS daily briefing on the CFMU NOP:

Coventry: Coventry Airport will commence ATC services with a new ANSP and Airport Owner on the 29th July 2010. Initially, the airport will be unlicensed and have no ILS, NDB or SRA approaches. In this temporary period only visual approaches will be available. The opening hours will be published by NOTAM. Coventry radar position will be available during notified times and Approach procedural will be available outside the non-radar hours.

SFS

Spitoon
29th Jul 2010, 17:22
Hard to see why it needs Approach Procedural services (or, indeed radar) when there are no instrument approach procedures.

niknak
29th Jul 2010, 20:03
Hard to see why it needs Approach Procedural services (or, indeed radar) when there are no instrument approach procedures.

:rolleyes::ugh:

Clean your glasses and re read the post:

Coventry Airport will commence ATC services with a new ANSP and Airport Owner on the 29th July 2010. Initially, the airport will be unlicensed and have no ILS, NDB or SRA approaches. In this temporary period only visual approaches will be available. The opening hours will be published by NOTAM. Coventry radar position will be available during notified times and Approach procedural will be available outside the non-radar hours.

I'll think you find the reason is for ATCO training and to allow ATE to get things up and running to the satisfaction of the CAA.

Spitoon
29th Jul 2010, 20:12
Mmmmm, but if there are no approaches available, what training can the controller do? No, wait - I've got it, "Radar vectors to where the ILS will be....". ;)

aluminium persuader
29th Jul 2010, 20:21
er... radar to visual?

However, AFAIK there will be ADC & APP only TFN. No radar at present. ILS, NDB & radar will probably all need calibration at a minimum, which will obviously take time.

The ANSP is Serco, so at least the infrastructure is strong.

radarman
29th Jul 2010, 20:47
Aluminium,
In my experience the words 'SERCO', 'infrastructure' and 'strong' don't lie happily together in the same sentence. But at least it's not Gisajob's outfit :E

Sir Herbert Gussett
29th Jul 2010, 21:44
Radar to visual? I'm of the thought that a Radar Controller should never offer a visual approach, it is completely the commanders decision. Is that a NATS only thing then?

aluminium persuader
30th Jul 2010, 09:54
Sir Herb - didn't actually say they'd offer one!

Radar - I didn't mention the word "good" though. Prob should have used "resources" rather than "infrastructure". Obviously quality of the actual service will depend on the team on the ground!

2 sheds
30th Jul 2010, 10:56
PANS-ATM

6.5.3 Visual approach

6.5.3.1 Subject to the conditions in 6.5.3.3, clearance for an IFR flight to execute a visual approach may be requested by a flight crew or initiated by the controller. In the latter case, the concurrence of the flight crew shall be required.

2 s

SevenUp
30th Jul 2010, 12:05
Not having PANS-ATM with me right now, what are the conditions in 6.5.3.3 ?

2 sheds
30th Jul 2010, 18:42
Et voila...
6.5.3.3 An IFR flight may be cleared to execute a visual approach provided the pilot can maintain visual reference to the terrain and:
a) the reported ceiling is at or above the level of the beginning of the initial approach segment for the aircraft so cleared; or
b) the pilot reports at the level of the beginning of the initial approach segment or at any time during the instrument approach procedure that the meteorological conditions are such that with reasonable assurance a visual approach and landing can be completed.

8.9.5.1 The controller may initiate vectoring of an aircraft for visual approach provided the reported ceiling is above the minimum altitude applicable to vectoring and meteorological conditions are such that, with reasonable assurance, a visual approach and landing can be completed.

2 s

Sir George Cayley
31st Jul 2010, 20:23
I'm led to believe that there's a CAA visit next week. Fingers crossed. Good Luck - though what part of SMS that forms I'm not sure:confused:

Sir George Cayley

Spitoon
31st Jul 2010, 20:46
Good Luck - though what part of SMS that forms I'm not sureThe core......