PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft urgently needed, southern Holland...

Katamarino
28th Jul 2010, 18:45
A long shot, but I have just checked our club website and the plane I had booked this weekend has just been marked as tech (it's been with the mechanics for a few days, but has only just been extended). Typically, the club hadn't bothered to call and let me know, so it's lucky I checked the site.

Does anyone know of any aircraft in the area that might be avaiable this weekend for a flight to the UK? I have a JAR PPL, and an FAA CPL/IR, with just under 500 hours. I'll happily travel some distance to get an aircraft - this isn;t the first time the club has done this to me!

NazgulAir
28th Jul 2010, 19:00
Nazgul Airlines is UK-bound this weekend if you can't secure wings of your own and still want a ride.

Katamarino
29th Jul 2010, 07:58
Thanks to "Flight Centre Lelystad", I have acquired a 172! They were extremely helpful, top marks to them!

I note that Polder Aviation has a 177 for hire, Nazgul...I might take your suggestion to try one out a little sooner than I expected.

I should also compliment the nice lady at our club who just phoned and apologised, and offered to try and move bookings around for me; much nicer service than on the previous tech-cancellations, so well done to her!

Blue Albatross
29th Jul 2010, 08:56
I've flown Polder's 177 and it's a lovely ride. But Wouter insist's on everyone getting checked out on her before taking the reigns because of the difference in the moveable tailplane at the back, which I noticed myself resulted in me purpoising the first two attempts at landing.

Very nice plane and a great crew at Polder. Would recommend them next time you're in a bind.

Blue Albatross

Katamarino
29th Jul 2010, 09:02
Yes, I called them today but unfortunately they were booked!

The one downside of Lelystad is the 7pm closing on Sunday, will have to leave the UK a bit earlier than anticipated, but oh well...

NazgulAir
29th Jul 2010, 13:10
Katamarino
Congratulations with your find!

The 177 at Polder Aviation is a fixed-gear 177 with a VFR panel.
A 177RG with a decent IFR panel might fit your purposes better: see Airvan BV Aviation | Aircraft for sale (http://www.airvan.nl/aircraft/n2549v/index.html) and Airvan BV Aviation | Aircraft for sale (http://www.airvan.nl/aircraft/phbsx/index.html) for some examples. Maybe these are also for hire.

Note: the second of these links has some nice shots of the aircraft in flight, clearly showing the short distance between tailplane and wing that create some of the characteristics that make a checkout advisable.

Lelystad can be persuaded to keep open a bit longer if you show a big wad of €€€€€€€ ... :sad:

Katamarino
29th Jul 2010, 13:37
You're tempting me with these links! The one at Eindhoven looks very interesting, although the panel could use an IFR GPS...

What time are you departing tomorrow? I'll listen out on the radio... :ok:

NazgulAir
29th Jul 2010, 15:22
Leaving on Saturday (not tomorrow) between 10:00 and 11:00 (LT). And you?

Katamarino
29th Jul 2010, 16:52
Ahh, ok. Tomorrow, 17:00.

Radar
30th Jul 2010, 07:44
Nazgul,

Thanks very much for posting those links. It's brought back some memories. I logged hours on the 49V in the mid -90s when it was based at Beek. A really lovely aircraft to fly, I loved every minute in it!

NazgulAir
30th Jul 2010, 09:20
Katamarino -- have a good trip! Maybe on the return then.

Radar -- After flying Arrow II, I got into WOH's PH-AKJ. The C177RG was perfect for my trips to Cardiff and in all aspects a better performer than the Arrow II -- slightly faster, better climb, more economical, higher loading capacity and much much longer range (PH-AKJ had 7 hours). Operating costs are good given the 2000h TBO, once you get the gear adjusted properly maintenance shouldn't be too expensive, and the resale value is good. When we started looking for a plane to fit our mission profile, the Cardinal was a strong candidate.

I'm not sure where AKJ is now, I hope it's up in the air with somebody having fun.