PDA

View Full Version : Vectors for the ILS

chris-h
28th Jul 2010, 16:01
Has anybody ever been refused vectors to the ILS?
Just a thought iv had having recently passed IMCr

Keef
28th Jul 2010, 16:07
Not outright refused, but it has been suggested that things are a bit busy and could I follow the procedure like everyone else.

IO540
28th Jul 2010, 16:27
Airfields with radar usually radar vector, and are not so keen on pilots flying the procedure (but are ok with it if not busy).

Airfields without radar are procedural.

Then you get odd ones which insist on radar unless the radar unit is not functional e.g. like Biggin (Thames Radar) and Oxford (Brize Radar). I have been refused procedural approaches at these (not recently though) because I didn't read the note on the plate saying the procedural option is available only if radar is not :) I imagine these places pay a lot of £££ as an annual flat rate fee to the radar unit's company and want to get their money's worth.

Around Europe, most places are radar vectored especially if they have an ILS.

VMC-on-top
28th Jul 2010, 19:51
I've never been refused but it has been suggested in a round about sort of way that I take another option - the last time was last weekend when i was told I could have vectors but I would be no. 8!! (because of traffic from a certain international airshow). Thus, i descended below cloud base for a visual approach and subsequently orbited for about 15-20 minutes waiting for a gap. [note to self : don't expect quick arrival during international arrival airshow weekend].

chris-h
28th Jul 2010, 19:52
Its nice to know vectors are more likely, A procedure approach can
be a bit too much at times.

:ok:

mm_flynn
28th Jul 2010, 20:48
You probably need to do a bit more practising. At smaller airfields procedural approaches are relatively common and if there is other traffic you may well wind up in a hold, which is pretty similar to the typical procedure.

If a procedural ILS is going to be 'A bit to much' then a procedural VOR or NDB approach is going to be a real problem.

The ILS procedures are normally fairly straight forward - like DCT the Outer marker and take up a hold (which does happen on occasion) then an outbound leg, base turn, intercept the localiser, descend on the glide path. It should be well within the comfort zone.

Keef
28th Jul 2010, 20:56
... and anyway, the Examiner is likely to want you to show him the whole thing on your renewal, so keep in practice!

A and C
28th Jul 2010, 21:55
I hate it when Eygiptian ATC offer radar to the ILS it is usualy CAVOK and you know that they will take you around all four corners of the control zone.

Give me a visual or procedural any day!

Pace
28th Jul 2010, 22:16
Around Europe, most places are radar vectored especially if they have an ILS.

What parts of Europe? as i have always found more procedural in Europe especially Spain and far more vectored in the UK.
I would also add that i have a far greater trust in ATC in the UK than in some European Couintries.
Again in Spain I was given a descent clearance in IMC below the SSA :ugh:
Over France never understand their intersection points and have to get a lot spelt if you can get a word in between the discussions in french on everything but flying ;)

I hate it when Eygiptian ATC offer radar to the ILS it is usualy CAVOK and you know that they will take you around all four corners of the control zone.

Use ATC as your servant not your master. Tell them you are good visual and ask for vectors to visual with The the runway or a tight ILS.

Pace

Cusco
28th Jul 2010, 23:21
Yes: Usually because the radar is u/s and I 'm invited to follow the procedure.

IO540
29th Jul 2010, 05:30
The Spanish seem to be known for vectoring below MSA, or even below the ground ;)

Anyway, here are a few related questions:

1) You are on a vector, not "cleared for the XXX approach" and the localiser (for the current runway) is approaching. Should you intercept it?

2) You are on a vector, "cleared for the XXX approach" and the localiser (for the current runway) is approaching. Should you intercept it?

3) (UK situation) You are on a vector, not "cleared for the XXX approach" (the UK doesn't use that phrase when vectoring to an ILS) and the localiser (for the current runway) is approaching. The last vector did not mention "base" or "base leg". Should you intercept it?

Assume that ATC is competent ;)

mm_flynn
29th Jul 2010, 05:43
The Spanish seem to be known for vectoring below MSA, or even below the ground ;)

Anyway, here are a few related questions:

1) You are on a vector, not "cleared for the XXX approach" and the localiser (for the current runway) is approaching. Should you intercept it?

No, but make an 'Approaching localiser' call

2) You are on a vector, "cleared for the XXX approach" and the localiser (for the current runway) is approaching. Should you intercept it?

Yes. In everywhere but the UK you are cleared to follow the horizontal and vertical profile of the approach. In the UK, if it is an ILS, you are cleared to follow the horizontal profile. But will get a 'cleared to descend on the glide path' (not sure if I got the phrasing exactly right)

3) (UK situation) You are on a vector, not "cleared for the XXX approach" (the UK doesn't use that phrase when vectoring to an ILS) and the localiser (for the current runway) is approaching. The last vector did not mention "base" or "base leg". Should you intercept it?

I believe this is the same as 1 above.

A and C
29th Jul 2010, 06:11
Quote:-

Use ATC as your servant not your master. Tell them you are good visual and ask for vectors to visual with The the runway or a tight ILS.

I totaly agree in theory but it will not work in practice south of the Med except in west Africa where ATC will just agree to let you do anything you like without regard to other traffic!

IO540
29th Jul 2010, 07:03
I agree with mmflynn's 1 2 & 3 answers.

The point is that in Case 1 if you cannot get the clearance to intercept (can't get the radio call in, etc) then you cannot intercept.

BTW

In everywhere but the UK you are cleared to follow the horizontal and vertical profile of the approach. In the UK, if it is an ILS, you are cleared to follow the horizontal profileis not quite right, AIUI.

If you are told "cleared for the approach" then you are cleared to immediately descend to the platform altitude and fly the approach as published. This is true worldwide, including the UK. (You still need the landing clearance).

Presumably the controller has to be sure you are within his radar vectoring area, and within the part of it which is at the platform altitude, before speaking the "cleared for the approach" phrase, because the moment he says it, you are entitled to plummet to 2000ft AGL or whatever ;) But because he is no longer vectoring you, he is no longer responsible for your obstacle clearance.

This is why UK radar ATC no longer use the "cleared for the approach" phrase - they don't like the idea of pilots "doing their own thing" i.e. descending to the platform altitude. I read this explanation in a CAA brochure lying on the coffee table at CAA at Gatwick while waiting for my Class 1, so it has to be right :)

What you get here in the UK are explicit descent instructions, all the way down to the platform, and then a "turn left/right, base leg" and then you report "localiser established". What happens after that tends to be "[descend with the glideslope] contact Tower XXX.XX" where the [] seems optional.

Sir Niall Dementia
29th Jul 2010, 09:04
I'm based at an airfield with procedures, but no radar, and no controlled airspace. It never ceases to amaze me to see half a dozen TCAS contacts flying through the published FAT, not talking to the ATC unit controlling the airfield. A couple of times I've asked to delay the procedure until those contacts have passed.

Back to the point of the thread, depending on the direction you are approaching the airfield from it is often just as quick to fly the procedure as it is to accept vectors, and ATC are well aware of that.

aluminium persuader
29th Jul 2010, 09:35
"Cleared for the ILS approach rwy xx" is a procedural clearance, ie to the initial approach fix, round the procedure and onto the ILS with no vectors - pilot nav all the wy round. The nature of the ATC unit (procedural or radar) is irrelevant.

With radar vectors to the ILS you get descent instructions and headings all the way to a closing heading (closing the localiser from the l/r, x miles to touchdown), an instuction to report loc established, and clearance to descend with the glidepath.

potkettleblack
29th Jul 2010, 09:48
To argue a fine point it will also depend on local rules whether you can intercept the localiser and start an approach even if not cleared by ATC. CDG is one example where buried deep in the text portion of the Jeppesen booklet is a little ditty which tells you to lock on when given an intercept heading within 70 degrees of the front course of the localiser. This is of course for safety purposes with parallel approaches in force.

Similarly at Amsterdam with multiple runways and independent parallel approaches being the norm I wouldn't be going through a localiser and hitting someone on the other side but locking on regardless of whether I had been cleared for the localiser/approach.

englishal
29th Jul 2010, 10:33

Just as a side note, in the USA (where I have most IFR experience) it is actually illegal for ATC to vector you through the localiser without telling you that you will pass through it.

Happened to me before though, poor old ATCO was completely overloaded. In the end he just through up his hands and said to all of "us"......."look guys you've got to help me out there".....

Roffa
29th Jul 2010, 15:56
This is why UK radar ATC no longer use the "cleared for the approach" phrase - they don't like the idea of pilots "doing their own thing" i.e. descending to the platform altitude. I read this explanation in a CAA brochure lying on the coffee table at CAA at Gatwick while waiting for my Class 1, so it has to be right

What you get here in the UK are explicit descent instructions, all the way down to the platform, and then a "turn left/right, base leg" and then you report "localiser established". What happens after that tends to be "[descend with the glideslope] contact Tower XXX.XX" where the [] seems optional.

Essentially correct but the main reason is most likely other traffic operating under the ILS.

Certainly where I work there is a myriad of stuff going on under the ILS and traffic descending at the wrong time to the 2,500ft IAP start altitude would be very embarrassing to all concerned.

There is phraseology that can be used whilst one is on the closing heading, prior to LOC intercept, to give conditional descent with the GP, "when established on the localiser, descend on the glidepath..." and it should be used whenever possible to avoid the late descent scenario.

Just as a side note, in the USA (where I have most IFR experience) it is actually illegal for ATC to vector you through the localiser without telling you that you will pass through it.

You should also be told in the UK if you're being vectored through the LOC, along with the reason why.

Local Variation
29th Jul 2010, 18:52
Never been refused, although have been asked to hold and they fly me in a vectored box north of the airfield not below 3000 ft.

There is a published NDB hold and procedure over the EME and EMW at East Mids at 4DME. No way they would position a SEP their above holidaymakers coming down the ILS.

Phraseology on the clearance or non-clearance (eg hold) for the approach is immediate and heights and headings when cleared are standard and expected. Flew the ILS on Saturday last and pre-empted every height and heading change they gave.

We have had some late turns to close the localiser and have flown through it. No big deal at 100kts. Problems can arise when they turn you in close to 6 DME. You haven't finised descending the ATC instruction to descend to 2000 ft and are waiting for the localiser to make a move. Around 6 DME, the glide comes straight in and every bit of your skills are then taken in capturing both the localiser and glide at the same time.

IO540
29th Jul 2010, 20:09
Unless you are doing a coupled approach in which case you will never get GS capture.

I think intercepting the GS from above is dodgy.

If you are really sure you are just above the GS, you can uncouple the autopilot and push the yoke down hard and hope to get an intercept and then fly it by hand, or even re-engage the AP, but it is a bit tacky.

I have been vectored above the GS a few times; the last time was Bournemouth. But to be fair it could have been avoided by me doing a really rapid (-1000fpm or faster) descent to the platform.

VMC-on-top
29th Jul 2010, 20:24
If you are told "cleared for the approach" then you are cleared to immediately descend to the platform altitude and fly the approach as published. This is true worldwide, including the UK

So is it possible that you ask for vectors to the ILS but are given "cleared to approach" instead? - implying that you fly the procedure instead - or would the instruction be more explicit?

aluminium persuader
29th Jul 2010, 20:30
VMC -
Not in the UK. On contact you will either be told what type of approach to expect or asked what type of approach you require. A commercial operation will invariably want whichever will get them down with minimum delay, however people can require all sorts of different things for training/currency purposes.

If there is any shadow of doubt, just ask for clarification.

Roffa
29th Jul 2010, 20:53
Unless you are doing a coupled approach in which case you will never get GS capture.

I think intercepting the GS from above is dodgy.

Intercepting the GP from above is the norm at larger airports where CDAs are expected to be flown by just about anything that makes a bit of noise.

Possibly irrelevant to TB20 ops but, given intercepts from above happen hundreds/thousands of times every day, it mustn't be too dodgy.

IO540
30th Jul 2010, 06:54
So is it possible that you ask for vectors to the ILS but are given "cleared to approach" instead? - implying that you fly the procedure instead - or would the instruction be more explicit?This could happen only outside the UK, but no, if you are being vectored you would not fly the published procedure. You would intercept the localiser when you get to it.

If ATC English is suspect (true much of the time in southern Europe) it is best to help them out by e.g. reporting "localiser established". In Spain, if ATC did not understand something you said they ignore the call (presumably as it leaves no evidence against the ATCO on the tape) and they ignore the call even if you repeat it.

Remember that in all flight, the vertical and horizontal clearances are separate. So, cleared for such and such SID is the lateral clearance, cleared to climb FL090 is the vertical clearance. Unless otherwise specified on the plate ;)

But when you are "cleared for the approach" the two clearances merge; you can descend to the platform and fly the approach as published, vertically and laterally. In the UK, the phrase is used only for non-ILS approaches.

What has confused me, in Greece mainly I think, is being told "report ready to commence the approach". What exactly is that?

Intercepting the GP from above is the norm at larger airports Sure but only from just above the GS, where the GS indication is not right off the scale ;) If you get vectored so the GS is off scale, you must go missed.

BTW Roffa a TB20 can fly the ILS at almost the same speeds as a 737. Once, in Prague, the GS was 210kt (descent + tailwind) and ATC told me to slow down. I do have to slow down a bit more at the end though :) In the UK, most big-airport ATC is not used to mixing light singles with big jets because of the £500 landing fee.

Sir Niall Dementia
30th Jul 2010, 08:06
LV;

Have a go at Plymouth sometime when Plymouth Mil are keeping you at FL40 and the glideslope is off the bottom stop. Last time I asked to be re-vectored and the mil controller seemed surprised. He certainly struggled with the concept that you shouldn't intercept from above and the approach would be very far from stable.

SND

IO540
30th Jul 2010, 09:52
What about all the stuff "we" learnt in the IR, about multiple false glideslopes which exist above the real one, and on which the GS indicator indicates in reverse i.e. an UP indication actually means you have to go down?

That's why one should not intercept a GS other than as published, or if doing a CDA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_Descent_Approach) then one needs to make sure the angle of descent is close enough to 3 degrees to ensure the instrument indication is well within limits for the last few miles.

Local Variation
30th Jul 2010, 21:39
Regarding capturing from above in my previous post, we are talking about no more than 500ft above the cleared height in most ocassions, so no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure we've all be trained the same irt false glideslopes.

My point was more to do with the a/c being at a position where both aspects need to be captured at around the same time due to be vectored in early to intercept the loc.

That for me can be the most challenging part of taking vectors for an ILS approach.

That is, of course, aside from using the NDB hold and approach :ugh:

SND;

Flew into Plymouth City last month, albeit on a visual pattern. Great night out though.:ok:

tmmorris
31st Jul 2010, 07:50
Flew two ILSs yesterday after not doing one for a couple of months - rust really setting in!

First was procedural (Cambridge). Second was radar vectored back at home base. What it did get me thinking though was that in IMCR training because we trained to the IMCR ILS DH of 500ft, we flew the ILS at 90kt to keep up with traffic and didn't make any configuration changes until after the decision point. On NPAs we flew the entire approach configured for low level circuit (75kt/2 stages flap - all this in PA28 btw) to reduce workload on circling approaches.

As a result I'm unable to change configuration on the ILS approach without starting to 'lose it' with the trim change.

What do others do in similar ac flying to lower minima - fly the approach slower (i.e. take the config change at GS intercept, which is when I slow to 90kt) and hold up the other traffic, or cope with the config change at say 500ft just before decision height?

Tim

IO540
31st Jul 2010, 08:43
The simplest way is to fly it on the autopilot. Then you fly as fast as you can or want onto the localiser, slow down to intercept the GS at the gear limiting speed (130kt for me), and then gradually bring back the power so as to be at the landing flap limiting speed (about 100kt for me) at the DH. With the drag of the full flap, one can slow down from 100kt to the landing speed even if one gets visual at just 200ft, without engine management issues because the power setting (and the CHT) is quite low at that point.

One can do the same flying by hand but obviously it needs more concentration...

The above offers the greatest respect for fast traffic following behind.

In really crap conditions, knowing the approach is likely to be to minima, it is easier to configure earlier. In that case, perhaps fly the localiser at 90kt; dropping the gear and 1st stage flap at the GS intercept should give you a -500fpm descent (on most IFR SE types) but still 90kt (no trim wheel change) and then you go full-flap when visual.

The most extreme case I know is a circling approach to 20, off an NDB/DME to 02 (flown using the GPS OBS mode, obviously ;) ) at 800ft, with a hill very close on the right. In this case I configure to landing i.e. about 85kt and gear down full flap when flying level prior to breaking off to the right, so the circling turn involves nothing more than a big power reduction and the left descending turn to a landing. But in that case I will still be doing 120kt+ up to the base turn.

IMHO one should never fly procedures really slowly e.g. 70-80kt because of the small margin above Vs and a lack of control authority.

BillieBob
31st Jul 2010, 11:37
My point was more to do with the a/c being at a position where both aspects need to be captured at around the same timeWhy would you accept such a sub-standard service from ATC?

IO540
31st Jul 2010, 11:56
Why would you accept such a sub-standard service from ATC?

Substandard or not, it is common enough.

Are you not an IFR pilot, Billiebob?

Local Variation
31st Jul 2010, 20:22
I doubt ATC will see turning a PA28 in at 6 miles as sub-standard. I'm sure they have genuine reasons and given the location, I guess flow has something to do with it, including departures.

I have no complaint, just saying it is sometimes tricky to deal with. Given time and experience, it will become a non-event.

Regarding the question about flaps and DH. My advise would be to keep working at applying before DH. That is what I'm doing now with variable success.

I was trained until the latter part, to go clean to DH. Towards the end, the Instructor had me introducing flaps (PA28) around 1000 ft on the ILS with full configuration just after DH. You need to be prepared for the initial bounce up to kick in (elevator down to maintain the glide) and then look for the drag to have it's effect. I don't mess about trimming. This is fine touch handling as you are now very close in and the glide is super sensitive. Any major increase in power to counter the drag taking you under the glide will see the needle move sharply down and you could be facing a G/A. The local Experts tell me it's more about elevator control than power.

I would say the easy way is to apply the config after DH. If you really want to develop and tune your flying skills, then introduce the config before DH and enjoy very high levels of satisfaction in taking the a/c fully established to the threshold.

What's this about an Auto-pilot ? ;)

Kerling-Approsh KG
31st Jul 2010, 20:46
How many runways are equipped with ILS and also too short to land a PA28 clean?

thing
31st Jul 2010, 21:28
The worrying thing about all of this speaking as someone who is considering taking his PPL next year is that no one seems to know what the score is. Or should I say everyone knows what the score is but it's different to everyone else...I've noticed this in several threads, everybody's opinions seem to differ on what seems to me to be quite important safety subjects. Does anyone in GA actually have a handle on what goes on?

reportyourlevel
31st Jul 2010, 22:21
billiebob, simultaneous localiser and glidslope intercept is not a substandard service - in fact at my airport our largest commercial operator is now asking us to do it like that for all of their flights.

From the point of a radar ATCO (or at least this one!) the shorter the final for a slow(er) aircraft the better. I'm lucky in that for one of our ILS approaches I can descend you below the platform level by a few hundred feet to make sure you're below the glidepath at the FAP (6 miles in this case), but this is not always the case.

Kerling-Approsh KG
1st Aug 2010, 06:41
thing,

You're quite right. Lots of blather and hardly any facts, from people who really should know better... A disappointment.

Shall we start, then, with the over-arching document?

Read extracts from it, and about the role poor vectoring played in the causes of the Turkish Airlines accident on approach at Schiphol in the official report here:

http://www.onderzoeksraad.nl/docs/rapporten/Rapport_TA_ENG_web.pdf

The relevant section starts at page 54.

IO540
1st Aug 2010, 06:57
The worrying thing about all of this speaking as someone who is considering taking his PPL next year is that no one seems to know what the score is. Or should I say everyone knows what the score is but it's different to everyone else...I've noticed this in several threads, everybody's opinions seem to differ on what seems to me to be quite important safety subjects. Does anyone in GA actually have a handle on what goes on?There just is very little standardisation of operating procedures in IFR GA. The airlines have done it, and the (mainly) western ones have used it to achieve a very high standard of safety, but in GA there is a lot of variation.

Aircraft technical capability varies a lot. E.g. I can fly an ILS on the autopilot down to 200ft (legally) but the AP will not capture the LOC or the GS if you are flying a diverging trajectory (laterally or vertically, respectively) at the moment you engage it in the APR mode. This is apparently not unusual, I am told, even in airliner autopilots. If you get vectored above the GS, you may have to do some aggressive hand flying (towards the ground) to get established.

IR training is very basic and mostly still stuck in the 1960s or 1970s. It is done by banging a few well worn routes (true for both FAA and JAA) and you train for the lowest common denominator in avionics etc.

Different pilots develop different preferences. Some like to land with only half (takeoff) flap if the runway is long enough. Nothing wrong with that, except that (on mine) not using landing flap disables one of the two gear-up warnings (the throttle position being the other one) and a good number of Americans (where they have long runways) have indeed landed a TB20 gear up.

And ATC don't always get it right.

Re the Amsterdam crash, I am not going to read all 228 pages (having read a lot of it previously) but was ATC really relevant to it? As the main cause is clearly

The crew failed to recognise the airspeed decay and the
pitch increase until the moment the stick shaker was activated. Subsequently the approach to stall recovery procedure was not executed properly, causing the aircraft to stall and crash.i.e. the pilots were barely inside the cockpit. The ATC angle is given as

A turn-in, whereby interception takes place at between 6.2 and 5 NM, with no instruction to descend to an altitude below 2000 feet is in deviation of the International Civil Aviation Organization guideline specifying that the aircraft must be flying level on its final approach course before the glide slope is interceptedwhich is interesting nevertheless and I wonder how many countries have filed a difference on this, to enable CDA approaches ;) ;)

Due to the fact that the localizer signal was intercepted at 5.5 NM from the runway threshold at a altitude of 2000 feet, the glide slope had to be intercepted from above. As a result, the crew were forced to carry out a number of additional procedures, resulting in a greater workload. This also caused the landing checklist to be completed during a later moment in the approach than standard operational procedures prescribe.
As a result of intercepting the glide slope signal from above, the incorrect operation of the autothrottle was obscured for the crew.

Do they mean that if the aircraft was forced to level off, prior to GS intercept as usual, the pilots would have noticed the AT failure? I am not so sure, as they were not paying attention to anything much.

belowradar
1st Aug 2010, 08:01
On the subject of false glideslopes....

Yes they do exist but you should be monitoring distance against height as a cross check (thats why the GS height is given at various distances on the plate). You should definitely know where your DA is in relation to distance from runway

For example "passing 1500ft 2 miles to run looking for 300ft at 0.5dme"

I see a fair number of pilots at renewal who can tell me the Decision Altitude but have no idea where it is as regards distance.

BillieBob
1st Aug 2010, 08:44
simultaneous localiser and glideslope intercept is not a substandard serviceAs a matter of fact, it is. The standard (in the UK at least) is set down in MATS Part 1 - "Except when Continuous Descent Approach (CDA) procedures are in operation or in an emergency, aircraft shall be positioned so as to maintain a period of stabilised level flight before commencing descent on the glide path, on descent profile of a pilot interpreted approach, or on the nominal descent path of a SRA."

Not to allow a period of stabilised level flight before commencing descent does not, therefore, meet the required (note the use of the word 'shall') standard and is, consequently, sub-standard.

Roffa
1st Aug 2010, 14:10
LV,

I doubt ATC will see turning a PA28 in at 6 miles as sub-standard. I'm sure they have genuine reasons and given the location, I guess flow has something to do with it, including departures.

Don't forget that, preferably as early in the vectoring process as possible, you are quite within your rights to ask for an "x mile final" where x is a range of your choice (without extracting the urine, of course).

pitot_noob
1st Aug 2010, 15:24
Though asking for X mile final.. doesn't mean they will give it to you :)

Local Variation
1st Aug 2010, 19:03
Roffa,

Fair point. Thanks.

chevvron
2nd Aug 2010, 10:33
The 'period of stabilsed flight' (ie established on LLZ) prior to glidepath intercept varies with aircraft category and closing heading and is a UK CAA and ICAO requirement. I admit I'm a bit out of it now but in my recollection it is a minimum of 2nm.
No UK ILS procedure is authorised for glidepath intercept from above and if it happens to you, then report it to CAA or CHIRP.

IO540
2nd Aug 2010, 10:45
In GA, I think a lot of the above-GS intercepts happen because one is given a descent to the platform and then the final (base leg) vector arrives very soon after. To make the platform altitude before reaching the localiser, one may need to descend at 1000fpm or more, but one is not going to be doing that because say -500fpm was plenty fast enough while on the previous vector, and it is only the final vector which makes the current ROD too small, but it is too late to do much about it (except do a little "DIY" heading adjustment to intercept the LOC a bit further out). I can straight away recall 2 occassions where this obviously happened.

No UK ILS procedure is authorised for glidepath intercept from above

So, chevvron, given that you and Roffa are both ATC, how does one reconcile this?