PDA

View Full Version : Owning aircraft in the US for alien?

AdamFrisch
28th Jul 2010, 04:53
I know what you think - this has been answered a million times here. But actually my situation is the reverse of that old chestnut. And as I'm gearing up for aircraft ownership I need some hard, cold answers.

Background: I pretty much live and work mostly in America these days, although I still have a residence in both the UK and US. I'm here on a renewable visa and do not have a green card. I can work and start corporations just like any American. I pay taxes, I have social security number, credit, address, everything.

There seems to be a couple of ways for me to own an N-reg aircraft here:

1. The trust way. We all know how this works.
2. US citizen friend.

Let's say I'm uncomfortable with both of the above.

3. A US corporation owned by a permanent resident can own an N-reg aircraft if it spends more than 60% of its flying time within the US and these records are submitted to the FAA on a 6-month basis. This would be ideal. However, Permanent Resident implies green card, not a visa. Is this correct? This means this form of ownership is out as well.

Lastly.

Transferring aircraft to G-reg and keeping it here in the US for my duration of stay (which could be long). How exactly would this be done practically without having to get the aircraft physically back to the UK:

1. Will the CAA just register it and give it an ARC based on its US airworthiness, or must some physical inspection take place at time of transfer and must it take place in the UK?

2. Will maintenance and yearly inspections, 100hr inspections be feasible to carry out in FAA land?

3. Can I insure it with a US insurer even though its on the UK registry?

4. Will a UK insurer insure a G-reg that lives abroad?

Many complicated questions. Appreciate any input.

n5296s
28th Jul 2010, 07:56
This one is easy. As long as the aircraft is based in the US, it can be owned by a US corporation whose principals are not US resident.

So go to Company Corporation (google it but I think www.companycorporation.com) and craete a Delaware Corp. That will cost a few hundred $$$ to create and another few hundred $$$ every year to run. CC take care of the details, all you have to do is fill in the occasional form and send the occasional check (not cheque, since this the US).

Then register the aircraft in the name of the corp.

When I bought n5296s I was on an L-1 visa, so that's what I had to do. Worked a charm.

n5296s

IO540
28th Jul 2010, 09:22
I know somebody who kept a G-reg in the USA for a few years and while he had no problem with it (that I recall) it is a huge paperwork hassle and nobody in their right mind would do it.

I vaguely recall that the TSA requires prior notification of flights of US-based foreign regs nowadays but I have no idea if this is totally false.

Jan Olieslagers
28th Jul 2010, 12:39
Am I missing one of those nice subtle differences between US'an and regular English, or wouldn't you be classified as a "foreigner" rather than as an "alien" ?

mm_flynn
28th Jul 2010, 14:23
Interestingly in both the UK and the US you are an Alien.

When I moved here (the UK) I had to register with the police Aliens Registration. The chap on the desk commented that in all his years of registering aliens he had not once seen one of our flying saucers.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jul 2010, 16:29
Am I missing one of those nice subtle differences between US'an and regular English, or wouldn't you be classified as a "foreigner" rather than as an "alien" ?

I nearly ended up moving to Wichita to work for Learjet a few years ago. If that had happened, apparently I would have had to be certified an "Alien of exceptional abilities".

It didn't happen, but would have been worth it simply to have had that said about me on a government form!

G