PDA

View Full Version : CAA recommended takeoff factors for PPL exam??

vw_nutter
27th Jul 2010, 10:34
Hi

I'm about to take my exam for Flight Planning and Performance (only 2 exams left now!). I just wanted to clarify with you guys takeoff factors. Am I right in thinking that the CAA recommend "no more than 50% (factor 0.5) of a headwind component" and "not less than 150% (factor 1.5) of a tailwind component" when calculating takeoff performance? And are those factors (0.5 and 1.5) actually correct?

Also am I likely to have to add these to the factors taken from the standard CAA performance table including the safety factor of 33% (1.33) for the exam? It all seems a bit ambiguous as to the rules for having to add these or not?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks for any info!

tinpilot
27th Jul 2010, 12:28
The CAA's recommendations are in Safety Sense leaflet 7, Aeroplane Performance (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srg_09webSSL07.pdf) (114kB .pdf)

From p.3:
Where data allows adjustment for wind, it is recommended that not more than 50% of the headwind component and not less than 150% of the tailwind component of the reported wind be assumed. In some manuals these factors are already included; check the relevant section.Can't remember the exam, but the usual rule is to multiply all the relevant factors, including the additional safety factor.

vw_nutter
28th Jul 2010, 06:26
Thanks for that. For those interested those figures are correct and it was just that I didn't calculate the factors correctly but all fine now. My head is battered with all the intense exam revision over the last few weeks - only 2 to go now :ok:

BEagle
28th Jul 2010, 07:09
Personally I think that the requirement to commit all the various performance factors to memory for the exam sets a very dangerous example.

In the 'real' aeroplane world, you NEVER attempt to remember all the performance degrades for contaminated runway operations - and short, wet grass is indeed a contaminated runway, for example.

I feel that exam students should be permitted to have access to Safety Sense Leaflet 7 for this exam - it shouldn't be a memory test!

You can also use an electronic calculator for this exam, provided that it doesn't have any 'navigation' functions included.