PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's Engineering and Technical Knowledge

JamesTigris
26th Jul 2010, 10:58
Does anyone know of a good source for the kind of knowledge of the engineering principles behind SEP aircraft and their systems that a pilot needs to know?

I am talking of general information on topics like those examples below, rather than extremely detailed technical info that might be presented in a POH/FM or manufacturer's specification. Nor am I talking scientific explanations of the principles of flight or aerodynamics.

e.g.
Variable Pitch Propellers
Aircraft Engines (e.g. magnetos etc. etc.)
Fuel/Air Mixture

I am a relatively newly quailified PPL and would appreciate the wise words of those who have been doing it a while.

Where did you get your best information? Spending time with an engineer? Text books? Articles? LAA struts/aircraft builders? Manufacturer's documentation?

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jul 2010, 11:08
This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Flight-John-D-Anderson/dp/0071263187/ref=pd_sim_b_1) is an excellent book and commonly used in aeronautical engineering undergraduate courses.

Also, there is much to be learned from helping maintain the aeroplanes you are flying - talk perhaps to private owners, or if you join a syndicate see what you can do to muck in. Even doing the regular cleaning, it's amazing how much you learn.

POHs are generally pretty simplistic documents, but quality time crawling around the aeroplane (pick a rainy day when nobody else wants to fly) with the POH is always worthwhile.

G

Rod1
26th Jul 2010, 11:42
If you join the LAA you will get a lot of this in the magazine. The LAA run courses, which may be of interest, but if you turn up at your local strut and ask you will probably get roped in to help. One of the principles of the LAA is to educate people about light aviation.

Rod1

XXPLOD
26th Jul 2010, 21:31
I'd imagine an ATPL Aircraft General Knowledge book would have most of what you're after. Have a trawl of flea-bay.

Pilot DAR
26th Jul 2010, 22:11
James,

I suggest a read through FAR Part 23, which you should be able to get to fromhere. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/Frameset?OpenPage The information in there will give you a good understanding of what the aircraft must demonstrate to be certified. If you fly Cessnas, I also recommend "Cessna, Wings for the World". It well describes the development and testing of the Cessna 100 and 200 series, from the test pilot's perspective.

barrow
27th Jul 2010, 00:41
this (http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Systems-Pilots-Dale-Remer/dp/0891003843) is a top notch book for any level.

IO540
27th Jul 2010, 07:00
I think a lot depends on why the OP wants to know it. If it is to pass exams, then the "right" books are essential. If it is to acquire detailed systems knowledge of a particular aircraft, then the best way is to obtain the operating manuals for the avionics, etc and study those.

Piston engine management is quite a big field too, and John Deakin wrote a lot on it.

A and C
27th Jul 2010, 08:16
I find the technical knowlage of the average new PPL is very poor, normaly this is due to the instructor being more interested in his future jet job than taking the student pilot over to the hangar on a poor weather day and showing the student over an aircraft.

My favorite questions when doing a check flight are "how long will the engine run after the failure of the alternator?" and "at what altitude can you lean the engine?".

It is very unusual to get one correct answer!

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jul 2010, 10:55
AandC, whilst I agree - it's not the new PPL who is at fault and full credit to the OP or any similar pilot who is trying to plug those knowledge gaps.

G