PDA

View Full Version : 80's song with ATC recording in the middle of the song...

carlosii
25th Jul 2010, 19:22
Hello!

Most likely it's very wrong part of the PPRUNE to post this, but I heard this probably 80's-90's soft-rock song today on the radio, almost sounded like Mike & The Mechanics (but it's not them), with great guitar riff in the song, and that had some kind of ATC recording in the middle of the song, just after main chorus or something like that - recording went on like "Cleared to..." and some take-off clearance with wind as well. So maybe one of my fellow controllers is kind enough to name that tune for me, as I just can't get that guitar riff out of my head if I don't hear that song again very soon ;)

IFPS man
25th Jul 2010, 19:38
OOOh We're going to Barbados Coconut Airways??

ZOOKER
25th Jul 2010, 19:42
At a guess it's probably either: -
Mike Oldfield. - 'Five Miles Out'.
Or,
Pink Floyd. - 'Learning To Fly'.
N.B.
'Stranded' by Manfred Mann's Earthband had the U.K 'Shipping Forecast' running through part of the song. :ok:

carlosii
25th Jul 2010, 20:04
Pink Floyd - Learning to Fly - that was the correct answer - thank you very much, sir - you made my evening! case closed...

classicwings
25th Jul 2010, 20:39
My Centurion by Gary Numan, Warriors 1983 also with ATC recording in the middle of the song (not something to play over the PA to the pax, as it's all about engine failure in a Cessna!) For your delight and delectation, here's an excerpt from the lyrics:

This machine/No sign of life/Only the whisper of air

She won't turn/She won't climb/She won't stop/She won't fly

I'm falling/I'm silent/I'm thinking/I'm waiting for this thing to end.

All I can do now is wait for the noise.

Cheering, eh? He walked away from that one, by the way.

Dizzee Rascal
26th Jul 2010, 07:30
Pink Floyd - Learning to Fly - that was the correct answer - thank you very much, sir - you made my evening! case closed...

One ATCO on the track is still operational at the same unit!

Tower Ranger
26th Jul 2010, 11:06
I also recolect an Ice-T track with some rt in it, anyone any idea which track?

Gulfstreamaviator
26th Jul 2010, 11:41
and Michael Wennick was the Instructor for the lessons, that motivated the song.

If you see this Mike, please do not repeat the Chicken joke, ever again.

glf

ZOOKER
26th Jul 2010, 19:18
Some more ATC/music trivia.
The album 'A' by Jethro Tull was released in the early 1980s.
The album's cover picture was, (I believe), taken in the VCR at EGTK.
If you look at the cover closely, you can see a line of CSE Aviation Cherokees through the windows, and a CAA ATC Watch Log on the desk in front of Ian Anderson.
On Jethro Tull's late '70s album 'Stormwatch', the 'weather forecast', on the superb track 'Dun Ringill' is read by Francis Wilson, who still presents Wx information on TV today.
Enjoy.

Dizzee Rascal
26th Jul 2010, 20:08
The album cover picture of "Permission to Land" by The Darkness (a band which only lasted a couple of years before splitting up) was originally shot on the runway at Southend.

The photo used on the album has been significantly edited and now the only resemblance to a runway now is the naked female holding Marshalling bats!;):ok:

ZOOKER
26th Jul 2010, 20:40
Ah, The Dampness, remember them well, along with Alvin Sawdust and Sister Sludge! :}

Lon More
26th Jul 2010, 21:53
Going back even further, mid 1960s, the Byrds 242 Foxtrot - the Learjet song. Pre take-off checks and ATC clearance in the background.

thorisgod
27th Jul 2010, 00:49
coincidentally, I have Bursting Out in the CD player in my car for the last few days:ok: And A was 1980 (which classes as very early 80s)

Gisajob
27th Jul 2010, 11:19
Evertime I listen to the song 'I'm not in love' I hear the words 'requesting climb, requesting climb....Does anyone else?

phantomlurker
1st Aug 2010, 10:06
The intro to the Dr DRE track "Big Egos" is an atc recording - presumably to demonstrate the fact that DRE and his homies have private planes...

YouTube - dr. dre - big ego's (feat. hittman) - 2001 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQkLKOjEH7g)