View Full Version : FAA MD-80 into JAA

pilotbaraa
25th Jul 2010, 14:54
Hi, its my first time I post in this website, but I did so because I always follow its articles and found them useful, this time it is very important to me because I would like to read something related to my issue not just general things, so please who has any useful information to help.

I have studied in the US and got the FAA CPL/MUL-IR and upon request from a company in Syria I did the MD80 type rating in order to go back and work as a co-pilot, but when I went back I surprised when they told me that the aircraft's registration is Greece and so I have to convert my license to JAA because my total time is less than 1000 to do the validation, and order to do the conversion I have contacted many schools and all them have talked about the CPL conversion and what I understod that their is no conversion for the type rating but I have to do a new one, so first is that right or not? and second: if I get the JAA frozen ATPL would I be able to act as a co-pilot in the MD80 and then when I get the 1500 hour in the type I can add it to my license?

Please any one who has any information or any solution, because I feel like I already lost because the company screwed me up when let me do the MD80 and if I want to do a type rating I would do something like A320 or whatever but not the MD but I did so because I thought I got a job.

If any one has the JAR crow requirements.

Thanks very much

Nimer767
25th Jul 2010, 18:35
Hey Winner ,

Well i believe that first you need to get your self a JAA CPL-IR license with MCC course . then you need to stamp the type rating on your JAA license . now since you are already rated on that bird you just need to check if the training center where you did the type rating a JAA approved training center or not , if yes you just need to do a proficiency check with a JAA examiner and then you can stamp it on your new license. if the place where you did the type rating is NOT JAA approved you will have to do a new one according to JAA regulations

i hope that would help .

pilotbaraa
27th Jul 2010, 14:01
Thanks Nimer767, its been pleasure to me to have your useful replay, but you have shucked me when you side I have to do a new type rating because the one I did wasn't in an approved JAA center.

Thank you very much