PDA

View Full Version : Week Bladder

Aerodynamisist
25th Jul 2010, 12:15
A week ago prior to going on holidays I conducted a long flight of 5.3 hours duration, Toilet facilities not being available in my single pilot light aircraft I had to hold on till landing at a bush strip. I now find I have to go to the toilet quite often (every 1 or 2 hours) is it possible I have damaged my urethra/bladder ? this is not an uncommon thing for me as I regularly fly 4+ hours duration.

Any assistance would be much appreciated as my work day would be more comfortable if I could better manage the need for hydration (tropical environment) against the need to p.

Cheers Aero

gingernut
25th Jul 2010, 13:05
I now find I have to go to the toilet quite often (every 1 or 2 hours) is it possible I have damaged my urethra/bladder ?

No, it's more likely you've got a urinary tract infection. Go and let a doc sift through your symptoms, and test your P. It's quite simple to sort out.

Don't restrict your fluids, it'll likely make things worse.:)

Hobo
30th Jul 2010, 19:50
Do what the glider pilots do, they use an external catheter (http://www.unitedspinal.org/publications/action/2009/07/17/the-external-catheter-embarrassing-secret-or-hidden-advantage/) which is 'glued' on outside, with a pipe to a bottle. Don't under any circs not drink enough. Also here (http://www.oneonthego.com/MEC_Notes.php). Or google 'male external catheter'.

gingernut
30th Jul 2010, 20:15
what if he's a she:confused:

obgraham
30th Jul 2010, 21:35
Possible solutions:
ZipLok bag ("glider pilot's friend")
Nalgene wide mouth jar. (!)
"Little John", which has an available "Lady J" adaptor.

We all like to make a joke of this, but even in a lowly 172, having to land the airplane when you are really full down there can lead to disastrous results. It can only be worse in a complex airplane. (My choice was the second above!)

Meanwhile, go get a urinalysis and culture. Bladder infection = no big deal. However, untreated can lead to kidney infection, which indeed = big deal.

Loose rivets
31st Jul 2010, 05:37
Even before having an atomic prostate, hanging on for ages caused several days of being severely oversensitive to the bladder filling. Seemed it didn't like being stretched and any attempt to make my tanks longer range by determined 'bottling', just made things worse.

My guess is that it will 'normalize', but as mentioned, worth a check to see if there's an infection.

gingernut
31st Jul 2010, 21:59
Hmmm...the Cessna 172 checklist seems to be making more sense now....

Cockpit
5. Fuel cock on, check contents sufficient for flight.
6. Check rotating beacon/strobe pitot heat.
7. Select flaps fully down.

popstar
31st Jul 2010, 22:34
Sorry if I appear to be scoring cheap points, but - I don't know anyone whose bladder will last a week!!
Weak bladders need immediate investigation though (trust me - I married a doctor).

Horatio Leafblower
8th Aug 2010, 12:14
If Aerodynamicist is a she-pilot:

1/. it's no wonder she refused to share a motel room with me on all those overnights, and:

2/. thank god she did, cos if 'he' is a 'she', she's bloody ugly! :eek: