PDA

View Full Version : Changing the amount of memory allocated to a logical drive

Wigglyamps
24th Jul 2010, 09:06
Hi all,

I would be grateful for some advice, my computer disk has a logical drive ( I think thats the right expression) which is labelled D: Backup. There is nothing on it and its taking up 39GB of memory, meanwhile my C: drive is rapidly running out of space. Can anyone tell me how to allocate some of the spare D: drive space back into the C: drive. I have had the Computer management window up and gone into Disk Management but there doesn't seem to be a logical way of doing this task.
As ever all help gratefully recieved.
Wigglyamps

mustpost
24th Jul 2010, 09:35
Hmm, if it's a Dell/Acer D is indeed the backup OS and the 39 gb is hidden - although that sounds like quite a lot. Before you do anything go into control panel/folder options/view, and tick 'show hidden files and folders'. That will show what is using up all that space before you start deleting/moving things around...

cdtaylor_nats
24th Jul 2010, 10:21
One thing you could try is to reallocate the virtual memory paging file to the D: drive.

To find out how to do that go to the help and look for virtual memory.

mixture
26th Jul 2010, 22:20
which is labelled D: Backup.

How old is said computer ?

If relatively recent (to be taken generously, i.e purchased within last 5 years), then you'll probably find that the "D" drive is the manufacturers restore partition.

Mess with that at your peril unless they have provided you with restore CDs (or you have written AND TESTED some yourself).

Most manufacturers who use recovery partitions don't provide restore CDs.

Keef
26th Jul 2010, 23:41
... and most recovery partitions are no use whatever, anyway. If the hard drive dies, you can't get at Drive D any more than you can get at Drive C.

When I was in the process of buying a new computer, I stipulated that I wanted the installation software on a CD, not a partition. They provided a CD, all duly labelled as Microsoft Genuine, etc.

Years later, when I needed it, it turned out that the CD was a dud. By then, it didn't matter because I had another new PC with a genuine CD. I used the code on the label of the "dud CD" one.

bnt
27th Jul 2010, 19:48
There are programs out there that let you modify partitions, though it's been years since I've had to use one. I know of two such programs that offer free "home" versions: Partition Wizard (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html) and Partition Master (http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm).

There are significant risks involved if you use one of these programs, and I would strongly recommend taking a backup of all your data before you do. Basically, assume you're going to have to wipe the disk at some point, proceed as if you will, and enjoy the relief if you don't have to! :8

jimtherev
27th Jul 2010, 21:04
... your 'D' drive genuinely is empty, as you state in your post. You have by now ticked the 'show hidden' box, yes? And you have confirmed by clicking the 'properties' of the drive that it has nothing on it.

So, what has filled up your 'C' drive? If it's stuff like movies etc, it doesn't matter where you put them, provided you remember - and tell your viewer next time you want to look at 'em. Same applies to most other documents: photographs & the like which can take an awful lot of space over the years.

Copy the lot across, check they've copied cleanly, and then free up that space on 'C'.

Any good?

Keef
27th Jul 2010, 23:58
I just keep buying USB plugin drives and archiving stuff (and backing up) to those.

I have done some partition moving recently. Time was, Partition Magic was the only game in town, and I used it. Nowadays, there's EASEUS which is (was?) free and does an excellent job. Caution is needed - data can be lost as well as found blah blah.