PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough - LF or UF?

Minesthechevy
22nd Jul 2010, 18:03
Look, I'm an old guy, so just wipe my chin every so often and give me a nurse with a big .... but that's another story...

I am sure I remember Farnborough as EGUF, when I google EGUF ICAO code up it pops; but equally, so does EGLF when I google on that.

Additionally, someone who 'should' know tells me its been EGLF as long as he remembers.

So, (NB use of obligatory NATS yuckspeak) when did it change, and why, please.

ZOOKER
22nd Jul 2010, 18:23
It changed sometime in the 1980s I think.
EGUF was a more military type location indicator, possibly reflecting the airfield's RAE role. - EGU* is a common military grouping. I may be wrong, but I think I remember Farnborough having both indicators valid for a period of time.

PeltonLevel
22nd Jul 2010, 18:32
Back in the 80s, when the airfield still had military and defence experimental use and Carroll Aviation were offering a service to civil users (but not as prime leaseholders), both location indicators were in use.

ZOOKER
22nd Jul 2010, 18:38
'NUGGET 33' once lived at EGUF. :ok:

Minesthechevy
22nd Jul 2010, 19:30
Thanks Chaps, I'm glad that I kept eternally vigilant during my time at EGLL. This was one change that passed me by completely.:O:O:O:O:O

chevvron
23rd Jul 2010, 09:16
EGUF was withdrawn in about 1994 I think (I stand to be corrected) when there was a policy change for location indicators requiring airfields to only have one - this affected Manston too as they had EGUM and EGMH.
I remember Nugget (RAE) 33, I think I flew with him once, also Nuggets 30 to 32 mainly helicopters.

aluminium persuader
26th Jul 2010, 20:04
EGUF was the mil side & EGLF the civil side. Both locations were used, dependant on which side the a/c was going to. Similar story at Manston. Was Gib the same too?

Lon More
26th Jul 2010, 21:56
Similarly Frankfurt, EDDF and EDAF, Brussel continues (AFAIK) to use EBBR (civil) and EBMB (Melsbroek, the original and still military side)

aluminium persuader
27th Jul 2010, 08:49
I don't think there was any edict to just have one indicator. I think they just died when the mil side moved out of UF & UM. Have to say, though, they are still the locations that come out of my pen first!

LXGB
27th Jul 2010, 12:32
Was Gib the same too?

Nope, Gib has always been LXGB :)

Drifting off thread a bit... Wattisham's TACAN changed from WTM to WTZ a few years back to save confusion with Wittmundhafen :confused:

chevvron
28th Jul 2010, 18:12
There certainly WAS an edict re one location indicator per airfield; basically it said the LI would be the one which represented the most traffic generated, hence at Farnborough, with Experimental Flying Department (commanded by a Gp Capt) becoming Experimental Flying Wing (commanded by a Wg Cdr) prior to it's planned move to Boscombe, EGLF prevailed and EGUF was cancelled.

aluminium persuader
29th Jul 2010, 09:18
I stand corrected! :ok: