PDA

View Full Version : When does learning to fly become fun

ChasG
22nd Jul 2010, 12:36
Haiving just had my second lesson I found the whole experience a bit overwhelming and a lot more difficult than I had expected.
Very nice female instructor from the pilot centre Denham who was very patient but I walked away feeling dispondent and wondering whether I would be better off spending the money changing my Caterham or motorbike. Is this a fairly common reaction which disappears after a few lessons? I have another 3 lessons booked after which I will decide whether to pay for the NPPL course. regards Chas

richs3
22nd Jul 2010, 12:42
Personally I have loved the learning experience from the moment I stepped foot in the club. Yes it's been challenging and overwhelming at times but non the less fun.

Give it a few more lessons yet though, would be a huge shame to throw away such a great opportunity so early.

Rich

Pilot DAR
22nd Jul 2010, 13:12
It is said that flying is many hours of bordom, interspersed with moments of terror. After 33 years and 6000 hours, I can confirm that is correct. Added to which, the moments of terror often occur when you would least expect them, which is additionally frustrating when you're experienced enought to know better!

I can say though that the relationship between moments of terror, and hours of bordom seem to be decreasing. Not because those things are not still happening, but because you're more used to them, anticipate them sooner (most of the time), and have a plan to deal with them.

Still, the three things which keep me most on guard are flying into deteriorating weather, doing maintenance test flights, and landing taildraggers in crosswinds.

Give flying a chance. The places you will see, and the people you will meet are amazing. The moments of terror will definately be worth it in the long term!

MichaelJP59
22nd Jul 2010, 13:13
Having wanted to learn to fly from 10 years old but then having to wait 30 years to actually do it, I had a job keeping the lid on my enthusiasm especially as I couldn't do more than a lesson a week. I filled the intervening years with building models (static and flying), planespotting, the odd trial flight and every PC flight sim that there was.

What made you want to learn to fly? If you've always wanted to do it then just wait for a few more lessons and see how you feel.

Molesworth 1
22nd Jul 2010, 13:21
When does learning to fly become fun

when your instructor gets out...

IO540
22nd Jul 2010, 13:31

Couldn't agree more :ok:

When you stop banging circuits and FLY somewhere :)

XX621
22nd Jul 2010, 13:39
When you buy your own aircraft (or share in one).

I don't recall what the exact stats are, but a very significant % of PPLs jack it in post-PPL; mainly due to the general poor cost/benefit ratio of club flying ( and I don't blame them to be honest).

kevmusic
22nd Jul 2010, 13:44
It is said that flying is many hours of bordom, interspersed with moments of terror. After 33 years and 6000 hours, I can confirm that is correct. There are not many occasions on which a 125- hour pilot can authoritatively disagree with a 6000-hour one, but here, I can confidently say, RUBBISH!! (There, I've said it.:eek:) I've never been bored, and I've never been terrified, though in time, I'm very sure there'll be oppurtunities for these sensations to pop up! :)

Take the time, ChasG, to become comfortable in a very new, noisy, bumpy and possibly smelly environment, with a steep learning curve. It will happen and it's very well worth it!

Justiciar
22nd Jul 2010, 13:45

It happens before then! The first couple of lessons were bemusing and you do wonder how you will ever get to grips with everything as so much happens at once.

The first time my instructor told me to do the take off was buttock clenching as I had no warning. Once airborne the satisfaction was huge. Likewise the first time I did a landing. Going solo was nerve racking, though the most anxious time was when I knew it was coming. Once up there all the worries seem to disappear. Then there was departing the circuit, the solo nav ex ...

The nervous anticipation was always replaced after the event by a huge sense of elation and satisfaction with what I had achieved.

Flying an aircraft is so different from anything else you will have done before that you will certainly feel overwhelmed, but this will pass and it does come together, believe me. There is a lot to learn which is why you have minimum hours to obtain your licence. Please don't give up, give yourself a chance. I would say at least 8 to 10 hours to allow things to really fall into place, perhaps less if you are a quick learner (I wasn't!). You won't regret the cost or the time spent.

cats_five
22nd Jul 2010, 14:04
Learning to fly is IMHO a game for people who like a challenge and the older one is the truer it is. I found I veered from really enjoying it to hating it and back several times, and progress was a series of lurches, some forwards and some backwards, but since I did get solo etc. overall more forward than backwards. It just didn't feel like it at times.

Suggest you discuss how you felt with the "very nice female instructor" as if she's also a good instructor she should be able to help. I only know what it was like for me learning to fly, a good empathetic instructor should know the range of experiences.

Possibly she has shown you enough that you can see there is a lot to learn, and you don't mention what you found difficult, so no-one can comment on if it's something most people find difficult.

NazgulAir
22nd Jul 2010, 14:28
I've mentored a few people and given them a chance to see what the world of a licensed PPL can be like. Hop aboard. You can't fly, but the flights can be an eye-opener and are a great motivator.

Join an experienced pilot on a trip or a club outing. Visit a fly-in. Remember what you're doing it all for, it will carry you through those those difficult moments of hard practising and studying and practising.

Have fun!

IO540
22nd Jul 2010, 14:33
It is said that flying is many hours of bordom, interspersed with moments of terror

I recall that being said about being in Vietnam :)

JW411
22nd Jul 2010, 15:18
I think the original quote goes back to Ernie Gann in his biography "Fate is The Hunter".

It goes along the lines of;

It is generally accepted that pilots are overpaid.

Their lives consist of 98% boredom and 2% sheer terror.

During the latter 2%, they earn their entire annual salary.

Fuji Abound
22nd Jul 2010, 15:22
Overload added to comfort zones!! It is that simple.

When you start flying you are definitely overloaded in all sorts of different ways. Now us Sky Gods :} can cope with periods of overload from time to time. The problem is when you also add in being out of your comfort zone.

I had around 500 hours before I started doing some aeros and expected to be comfortable with the flying. For the first few sessions I wasnt. Looking back I was overloaded but I was also out of my comfort zone - I couldnt imagine an aircraft could do those things. On the other hand when I first started flying instruments I wondered what all the fuss was about. Yes there were times I was overloaded, but the aircraft behaved in the same way to which I was accustom and therefore I stayed in my comfort zone.

So the short answer is that hopefully you will quickly get comfortable with bumping around in a light aircraft, and once you are, even if your instructor pushes you, hopefully you will start enjoying the experience.

After that with any luck the smile will just gets bigger - until you give aeros a go that is. :}

Fuji Abound
22nd Jul 2010, 15:24
I recall that being said about being in Vietnam

I also recall someone saying the average life expectancy on putting foot off the skids in Nam was about 45 seconds so, sadly, I suppose you didnt have all that long in which to be bored.

Bigglesthefrog
22nd Jul 2010, 16:14
Chas, two lessons is just not enough time to think that you can't do it, as you are only just getting to learn what all the knobs and switches are for. I think you will find that if you give it a couple more lessons you will lose the gloom and despondency because you will suddenly realize that you can actually fly the aeroplane a bit! . As soon as you start to get to this point you will not only feel some elation, but you will also be able to talk about it with other fliers who will love to yarn about it all. A good example of this is when Kev Music publicly, on this forum, put all his feelings into very eloquent print when he was going through his PPL with all its ups and downs. It was probably one of the most successful threads this forum has ever seen when so many other fliers joined in and supported him through to the end:D
Getting the PPL is not an easy thing to do and will always have it's frustrating times along the way. But the day when you finish it and get the bit of paper in you sweaty hand will be one of the most satisfying days in your life.
One other thing; without implying anything negative about your present flying instructor, it is a good thing to try a different instructor if you are not feeling good about progress. It's your money after all and you are buying a product, so why not have a go with one of the other instructors (maybe a different age and gender) and see how you do then.
Best of luck:ok:
BTF

ChasG
22nd Jul 2010, 16:15
thanks for all your responses. The consensus appears to be overloaded at first but getting better. I will give it more time regards Chas:ok:

Ringway Flyer
22nd Jul 2010, 16:17
My father took me to the local airport (now Manchester International) when I was young and I was hooked things that fly from that point on. I went through the model aircraft (flying type) then the Airfix stage, and then in my early 20s enjoyed several gliding holidays with friends.

Then cars, women, kids etc. took over until I was just a bit younger than you. Then it became financially possible to get my PPL. It took about 18 months of weekends before I finally had my licence. I never dreamt, all those years ago, that one day I'd be flying out of Ringway....

I've been an aviation junkie from the age of about 6, and still enjoy every flight. But now I'm retired, my flying days are numbered. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy at least another 5 years before either health or money (lack of) bring things to a stop.

If you've had a 'thing' about aircraft for years, just DO IT.

You're only here once - grasp the opportunity! :ok:

trident3A
22nd Jul 2010, 16:50
Knocking off that first solo is an unbelievable feeling, ditto first solo land-away.

Big Pistons Forever
22nd Jul 2010, 17:05
Chas G

As an instructor I can confirm what you are feeling is normal. For the first few lessons there is so much new stuff coming your way that it is hard not to become overwhelmed. The good news is my experience is that around lesson 5 most students start having the "ah hah" moment and a lot of stuff suddenly starts making sense.

tggzzz
22nd Jul 2010, 17:34
when your instructor gets out...I'd hope it would happen before then!

How about
first complete flight without instructor input
first spin
first launch failure or engine failure
when everything just "goes right"
when the instructor gives you an unexpected "now get out of that situation", and you doafter that lot, first solo should be an anticlimax.

BTW don't be disheartened when (not if) you've been improving, and then it feels like you're making negative progress. It happens to most people.

Also, I'd try different instructors on principle - you'll learn different things from each of them.

mad_jock
22nd Jul 2010, 17:41
For me the real joy of GA flying is sitting in that right seat teaching!!!! And passing on my love of flying.

Watching people like yourself going through exactly what your going through then go solo and then pass the test brings huge amounts of job satisfaction.

Big Pistons Forever
22nd Jul 2010, 18:07
Also, I'd try different instructors on principle - you'll learn different things from each of them.

I have a different opinion on this point. I strongly believe that presolo you should keep the same instructor unless there is a personality conflict or other definite problem indicating a change is required. Despite standardized curriculums, everybody teaches a little differently therefore flynig with different instructors will add a level of uncertainty to what you are doing that you do not need in early training. Also and more importantly the level of familiarity that the instructor will have with you and your training progress will improve the pace of your training progress.

Captain Mayday
22nd Jul 2010, 18:17
When you can do something like this ...... and then share it with your friends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8NDI-LsXp4) :)

p1andy
22nd Jul 2010, 23:21
13hrs into it now and loved every minute of it. Never fail to get the buzz when i walk out to the warrior.

eharding
23rd Jul 2010, 00:00
....wondering whether I would be better off spending the money changing my Caterham or motorbike.

In financial terms, you will certainly be better off remaining earth-bound.

However, aeroplanes, and in particular aerobatic types, can deliver an order of magnitude of experience and enjoyment more than anything that is required to keep tyres connected to - or at least in the proximity of - terra firma.

Try to think back to your first driving lessons - they hardly prepared you for the Caterham or motorbike experience - but you need the be trained in the basic arts of any discipline, and the first few steps of that training can seem like wading through glue.

Stay with it - and if you start to question why you're doing it, book yourself an aerobatics session, and understand that you could be doing the same thing yourself in a year or so.

9v-SKA
23rd Jul 2010, 06:19
When I did my training for my PPL, the first few flights were alright. Until the point where I started practicing stalls. Got sick a couple of times. That was the lowest point in my training.

I had left home and went down to Aussie all on my own to train for my PPL. At that point where I started getting sick, I felt all lonely and lost. Once I got over the getting sick phase, it was much better. Granted, there were other times I felt down, but grit your teeth and bear with it. You will get through it somehow.

ChasG
23rd Jul 2010, 06:59
Very positive and honest responses - much appreciated. Having felt that I didnt do very well, I then started to worry about what would I be like when asked to land the plane in a few lessons time.
Now I rather think what would I have been like if on my second driving lesson someone had said it wont be long before we can start practising drifting and donuts or doing wheelies on the bike. I need to stay positive and not worry so much - I have no doubt that I will not be asked to do something the instructor doesnt think I can do.

Justiciar
23rd Jul 2010, 07:26
I need to stay positive and not worry so much - I have no doubt that I will not be asked to do something the instructor doesnt think I can do.

That's absolutely right. I got my self a bit hung up on stalling, but I just kept practicing until the fear factor went and I felt that I was in control. We would be perfect indeed if there was nothing in the huge number of skills to be taken on board that didn't phase us.

Mike744
23rd Jul 2010, 10:03
I also recall someone saying the average life expectancy on putting foot off the skids in Nam was about 45 seconds so, sadly, I suppose you didnt have all that long in which to be bored.

I worked on a tanker supplying JP4 aviation fuel to south nam during the war, I was saddened by how many Huey personnel missing/dead between each two week run to NhaBe, Danang & Qui Nhon - they really didn't have time to get bored

Mark1234
23rd Jul 2010, 10:47
All been said, but yes, expect it to be overload for the first few. As you get used to it, you'll start to enjoy a lot more.

It should become fun a lot sooner than solo; Personally now I've got a few hours past the 'solo' kick, I actually enjoy it more having someone along - yes, 'even' being under instruction.

If you like caterhams and motorbikes, it'll become *really* fun when you discover that 45degrees is not a steep bank, and you can go way past that without the wings falling off (in a suitable aircraft of course!).

Tee Emm
23rd Jul 2010, 10:50
13hrs into it now and loved every minute of it. Never fail to get the buzz when i walk out to the warrior.Presumably you have by now done two solo flights. If you haven't it is time to change to a senior instructor. There are some instructors who have no conscience in ripping you off while they log hours and before you know it you have 20 hours and still not solo.

"No problem, Bloggs, a couple more sessions of circuits should see you ready for solo. When the time I'll let you know and we will rustle up a senior instructor to give you the pre-solo check. But we have to make sure you have got those circuits taped before you are ready to be put up...."

I have seen students with 30 hours and still on circuit after circuit because the instructor was too exacting when all that is needed is a safe standard; not a Red Bull ace pilot.

Kolibear
23rd Jul 2010, 10:55
after which I will decide whether to pay for the NPPL course

DO NOT pay up front.

I think that is the one subject on which all Ppruners will agree.

AndoniP
23rd Jul 2010, 15:16
similarly not all students pick it up as quickly as others, some need practice. some students can be stuck on circuits for longer than others, as the approach and landing is one of the most if not the most important part of the flight.

chas - stick with it mate. i became totally comfortable with flying after about 10 hours. since then it's been excellent. enjoyed every minute of it. you will love pottering around the sky, doing stalls, circuits, landings (my favourite bit), and then navigations, which are really good. navigating and landing away is when you feel your training comes together towards this end result.

stick with it, you will enjoy it. don't let turbulence and all that put you off, some days you will fly around and it will be smooth as silk and you will think, there really is nothing better than this.

glorygal
23rd Jul 2010, 18:27
I found getting my PPL to be far more of a journey than I ever expected. I have previously done university study etc etc but nothing prepared me for the ups and downs (pardon the pun ;) ) of learning to fly. There were many, many times when I felt I would never get there (flying skills and ground exams) but I stuck at it and my shiny new licence arrived last week. :ok:

It WILL get better, and when you get your licence you will feel such a sense of accomplishment because you will know EXACTLY how hard you had to work to get it. Don't give up we have all been there. Good luck and keep us posted!

mary meagher
23rd Jul 2010, 22:01
Hello, CharlesG!

Being at the advanced age of 56 before you cast off the surly bonds of earth is starting late, which means your learning curve will often resemble a plateau.

I started at 50, but I started by flying gliders....which did eventually lead to the PPL. Nobody on this thread has said a word about gliding? o my, you are missing the most fun of all!

Lots of people gain a power license and then don't use it very much, for reasons of cost or boredom. Many of us who learn to become soaring pilots are still enjoying the sport at very advanced ages! Your first solo, yes, your first cross country (if you get it wrong, you visit a farmer!) and
your friends come to get you, and help derig, and you all stop at the pub on the way back to the club.... We fly in Wales, rock polishing in the Black Mountains at Talgarth. We fly in the wave over Scotland, at Aboyne. We fly in competitions, we relish analysing the weather and using the ridge, or the thermals, to float around local soaring, or to try for the silver distance in an open cockpit T-21, now there is a challenge! Vintage gliders, modern 25 meter state of the art, there are syndicates to share the cost and the enjoyment.

But best of all, we help each other.

Ringway Flyer
24th Jul 2010, 08:07
I did!! I enjoyed holidays at Great Hucklow (£16 for a week, all in - OK it was about 1962...) several weeks at Husband's Bosworth and one at Nymphsfield. absolutely agree that gliding is great. But there was nowhere close enough to carry on with it on a regular basis, hence the 30 odd year gap until the PPL.
RF

FleetFlyer
24th Jul 2010, 08:22
As one other on here has already said, you should not be afraid to change instructors if you feel you could do better than your current one. I've had several different instructors on the same course at various stages of my flying career. Whilst doing my PPL I realised that at £125 an hour I should be able to 'hire and fire' my instructors if I was not happy with their performance. I have had bad instructors and good instructors over the years and this made me realise they are not all the same.
If you were taking driving lessons and you weren't happy with your instructor you wouldn't hesistate to change, would you?

Re- the gliding previously mentioned, I started out in gliders and I've never been happier in powered aircraft than I was back in a glider. The only reason I didn't stick with it was the 'golf-club' mentality and the need to have the cooperation of at least five others to get yourself airborn. It was amazing though, to fly a vintage glider solo in formation with a buzzard is a memory that will never leave me.

It gets really fun when you first solo. My first solo in a glider had me singining Bohemian Rhapsody at the to of my voice all the way round. It remains the single most happy and exhilerating moment in my life.

"BISH ME LAA NOO, YOU WOULD NOT LET ME GOOOO......."

thing
24th Jul 2010, 09:11
Crikey, you three are making me wonder whether I ought to take up gliding again instead of blowing 6K boring holes in the sky....I could get a nice 1/3 share in something glass and nippy for 6K. Aaaargh. Trouble is with gliding is that you can't stick some baggage and the wife (are both those terms mutually inclusive?) in and go somewhere. Agree with the golf club mentality too but don't you get the same at powered clubs? I've only visited them, never been a member. I don't miss getting fried in the summer driving the winch all day only to get a 10 minute circuit in at the end of flying when everyone else is telling me about the 300K they just did either.

Decisions, decisions.

FleetFlyer
25th Jul 2010, 13:39
The golf club mentality thing doesn't seem to apply at power clubs as the power clubs seem to be run as businesses with services (landing fees/parking/etc) sold to members without work being expected of the members. Gliding clubs are run as societies on a not for profit basis, so require their members to get involved in every aspect (CAA/BGA compliance/accounting/running the launch point/driving the winch/etc) and this makes gliding clubs a haven for jobsworths and for those too lazy to pull their own weight. This in turn creates the friction and the feeling of 'being watched' lest you don't make a reasonable contribution. Its the feeling of being watched that give the golf club mentality feeling.

It also has to be said that the gliding club system brings out the best in most of the members and keeps the flying cost much lower than if it were done the same way as a powered club.

Becuase I'm not a team player, I will stick with powered flying but I miss gliding enough to be tempted by motor gliders.

atpcliff
25th Jul 2010, 14:24
Hi!

If U want fun, fun, fun, get a great console flight simulation game.

If you want realistic combat fun, get IL-2 Sturmovic for your desktop computer, preferable with 3 or more screens. From what I have read, this is THE best WWII flight sim, and maybe THE best one. I prefer WWII stuff, partly because there is more flying and less button-pushing.

Just found this:
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturmovik:_Birds_of_Prey)
If you want to play Sturmovik on your PS3 (or, God Forbid, XBox 360) then you can avoid all the patches and mods and glitches and frustration that comes from trying to play games on your PC.

If you want realistic fun, get MS Flight Sim ____ 2004?(whatever your computer can handle, as the newest version is pretty much ahead of what any "normal" computer can handle).

If you want to continue real flying and be successful, you should do step number three above and go through all the ms flightsim flight lessons, staying one or two steps ahead (or maybe more, if you can handle it) of your aircraft lesson with your msflightsim lessons.

If you do flightsim lessons, when you get in the plane, a LOT of stuff will be familiar/comfortable. You can even learn to talk on the radio WHILE you fly with flightsim.

Good luck!
cliff
LFW

Molesworth 1
25th Jul 2010, 16:07
I think you will find your real lessons very different to the ones that come with Flight Simulator. FS teaches you to fly by using the AH. It'll prepare you well for IFR but that's not how you will be taught to fly VFR. The flights in the book "Flight Simulator for Pilots" are much better , although geared for the FAA license.

The time to is Flight Sim is AFTER you have been taught by an instructor. Go over what was in your lesson and do it the way your instructor told you - not the FS way. If you are training in a Cessna 152 then get the add on for that.

As a PPL I quite often used FS. It's very helpful for learning to fly IR (I haven't got there yet). Arguably it helps with practising landings although the texture resolution is nowhere good enough those last few feet. It can also be frustrating as flying FS is often more difficult that flying for real.

atpcliff
25th Jul 2010, 16:48
Hi!

Was reading a post from a non-pilot who did all the ms flightsim lessons, all the way through to finish his ATP. Then he started flying lessons. He know each instrument and control: How to use it, what it did, what it meant. He knew how to start the engine, takeoff, land, etc., etc. He knew how to talk on the radio. He said when he got in the plane, it helped him IMMENSELY because he was comfortable and familiar with the preflight brief, and all of the actions expected on each lesson.

I was too old...no home computers when I started flt training. I am sure though, that having all that knowledge would have helped me out a lot.

cliff
LFW

Jan Olieslagers
25th Jul 2010, 16:48
Learning to fly IS fun. Every instant of it. Of course the fun is sometimes hidden, behind clouds of anxiety or stress or your instructor's bad mood. Instructors are humans, too, remember? But even if you don't realise the fun right at the moment, it is there, to be enjoyed later.

Learning to fly IS fun. That is only normal, given the exorbitant cost.

As for using cheapo flight simulation software: I had used so much of it that I did my first flying on the instruments solely, to the despair of my poor first instructor. He ended up putting a sheet of paper (carefully prepared!) before the instruments and having me fly several circuits without a single instrument visible - that was NOT fun at the actual moment! Only later did I realise how much I had learned that day - and how much fun it really had been.

cats_five
25th Jul 2010, 18:17
The golf club mentality thing doesn't seem to apply at power clubs as the power clubs seem to be run as businesses with services (landing fees/parking/etc) sold to members without work being expected of the members. Gliding clubs are run as societies on a not for profit basis, so require their members to get involved in every aspect (CAA/BGA compliance/accounting/running the launch point/driving the winch/etc) and this makes gliding clubs a haven for jobsworths and for those too lazy to pull their own weight. This in turn creates the friction and the feeling of 'being watched' lest you don't make a reasonable contribution. Its the feeling of being watched that give the golf club mentality feeling.
<snip>

The feeling of getting watched I have is when launching / landing! At my club we have paid winch drivers 364 x 365 which is a great asset IMHO. However of course we have to help launch etc., and every so often a solo pilot will find him or herself nominated 'duty pilot' and running (with help) the launchpoint. However I am finding the more I put in, the more I get out.

BTW I've never belonged to a golf club (I agree with whoever said it was a way to ruin a good walk), but suspect they come in a wide range of styles just as gliding clubs do.

biffo28
26th Jul 2010, 09:34
Chas, I am a learner at the 20 hour mark and I have experienced, quite a few times, that feeling of being overwhelmed and haven't enjoyed it!!
However I have come to learn that as you progress those moments get fewer to be replaced by truly joyous moments such as the elation of your first unaided landing!

Bottom line, it gets better, MUCH better, stick with it!!!!:ok:

Molesworth 1
26th Jul 2010, 10:49
Could it be that most PPLs who chuck it in do so not from boredom but because of pressure from their partners and family?

Katamarino
26th Jul 2010, 10:58
If my partner was pressuring me not to do the things I loved, I don't think they'd be my partner for much longer. I don't understand people who don't do things "because the wife won't let me". Well then, get a better wife!

Molesworth 1
26th Jul 2010, 11:01
It's often possible to radically change your stress levels whilst in the air. If you are with an instructor don't beat yourself up every time they say you are doing something wrong. Instructors continually "raise the bar" - so they are expecting a higher standard from you because you are getting better.

After you have your PPL and you are flying solo you may need to reduce your workload if you are feeling stressed. Adjust the radio so that it's clearer, less noisy or whatever, make sure you are sitting comfortably. Don't feel you have to announce yourself to every en route ATC if flying VFR - or find an ATC which is going to be with you for most of the flight so that you don't have to continually change frequency. Don't fiddle unneccesarily with GPS units. Slow your cruise speed if the a/c is getting ahead of you. Concentrate on the basics - i.e. flying the aircraft.

mary meagher
26th Jul 2010, 20:18
Katamarino, when your wife says "its me or the glider", your choice is clear!

Molesworth, yes of course your family deserves your time, your attention, and your money, that is, until the kids have finally flown the nest...

and then, happy and rare is the man or woman whose partner shares your true love interest! A compromise is the usual solution, yes dear, garden club, horse riding, even travel, if I am allowed my day at the gliding club to fly and to help out.

Layabouts and moaners are alas part of any human endeavor, irritating those who pull their weight; we grit our teeth and accept their fees, and discount their excuses, and when it is their turn to ask for help, it can be slow to arrive.

Big Pistons Forever
26th Jul 2010, 21:24
As an instructor I just cringe when I hear a hear a person say they have used MS FS before they started ab intio flying lessons. It is simply not realistic enough to teach skills which can be wholly transfered to the aircraft and encourages a host of bad habits, the most vexing is the habit of flying the aircraft by reference to the instruments instead of referencing the natural horizon out the windshield. MSFS has a lot of utility for a licensed pilto who wants to practice instrument procedures, but IMO it results in negative learning for ab intio students.

Jan Olieslagers
26th Jul 2010, 22:39
Exactly what my poor first instructor said. Worst of all: no PC-based simulator will ever make your buttocks feel a well or badly sync'ed turn.
Even after more than 100 hours up there, I sometimes develop a vague feeling something isn't really perfectly right, only then to see that damn ball tucked up in one or other extreme. Most often on crosswind leg right after take-off.

AdamFrisch
26th Jul 2010, 23:46
Well, I can attest to how stress and disappointment in oneself can mentally block you from enjoying and learning anything. This has recently happened to myself.

I've been chasing the standalone FAA PPL and it's taken forever. Mainly because I have to go away on jobs all the time and don't get the recency that's needed. I also have a very strict instructor, and although I welcomed that as good thing - I want to be held to high standards - it recently became too much for me. I felt like a worse pilot every time I went up, like I was unlearning. Screwing up the most basic stuff at times. And the minute I screwed something up I got it good. This stressed me out and inevitably the next maneuver/radio call/whatever would also be fouled up.

Los Angeles is busy airspace and there is no real time to "catch up" with stuff until you're into the next high workload scenario. I know my instructor is very knowledgeable and was just increasing the workload as I got nearer my checkride (as he should do), but nevertheless the last times were no fun at all and I questioned my abilities as a pilot. I realize this is all just stress from my own disappointment in myself, but nevertheless I've decided to finish with another instructor that's a little more patient, hopefully. I feel bad as I think he's good, but I have to have a gentler touch (even though he did always praise when I did good). For some reason I think I'd do better with a female instructor.

Everyone learns differently. I don't learn well in a high amplitude scenario between praise and criticism - some do. I can do without the praise when I do something good, but then I don't want to be beat up when I screw stuff up. Just less of an arc between the two extremes is better for me personally.

So, flying has not been fun at all recently. And since I'm stuck in America, I can't go off and fly on my UK PPL either just to get a break from instruction and regain a bit of confidence (when I fly alone I never feel stressed). But it'll all be good in the end.

mary meagher
27th Jul 2010, 07:59
Adam, my friend, I bet anything that your instructor is ex-military!

Whether or not, it is time for you to fly with somebody different. The instructor who is overloading you and telling you off is probably not very confident himself.

As for radio difficulties, making the transition from gliding to the PPL, this is where glider pilots come unstuck. May I suggest you invest in an airband radio and spend a lot of time listening to the busy frequencies. And if you fly United Airlines, always stay tuned in to Channel 9. The more you listen to the professionals, the more your brain is able to think that way.

And remember, the ATC is there to serve you! The three most useful things I found to say to ATC were "Say again slowly!", "Stand by" and "Unable"!

24Carrot
28th Jul 2010, 02:26
Change instructor sounds like good advice. A friend of mine went through this (with a female ex-military instructor) and quit for good. It is ridiculous that a foul-up early on should waste the rest of the lesson. Instead of shouting, why can't your FI take the controls/radio/whatever, explain what went wrong, set you a new task, and move on?

I got overloaded too, frequently, but I think I was luckier with the instructors I had.

AndoniP
28th Jul 2010, 07:54
if you're a natural worrier like me then you'll get overloaded, then eventually manage it.

i'm on navigation at the moment, and the many different things i now have to do in the exercises are getting slightly easier, but it still takes the instructor a while to iron out your mistakes or your priorities. it just comes together after a while and you're able to manage it when you're more organised.

if they have a go at you, then they are not the instructor for you. some people like that, others like a calm instructor, praise where it's due, telling you where you've made a mistake or missed something, but overall they give off a calmness that in turn makes you calm. then when it comes to solos you can handle everything just fine.

Molesworth 1
28th Jul 2010, 09:32
I had an absolute honey of an instructor - mostly calm (to the extent of sometimes spending her time looking out of the side window making comments about the sheep), although not unknown to shout "FULL POWER" on an approach going wrong!

The idea is that the voice of your instructor will stay in your head when you fly on your own.

ChasG
29th Jul 2010, 07:04
Some varied responses and all very welcome. Yes I worry about everything and self criticise - sometimes with things like studying this forces me to do very well but other times it stops me in my tracks eg having a go in my car at Santa Pod. However I am going to continue and see how I get on. Thanks to everyone for their advice. ChasG

cjm_2010
29th Jul 2010, 11:03
getting back to the sim issue....before starting my ppl this june I spent a lot of time playing around on a sim. it helped me to form patterns in my head about the physics of flight - effects of controls etc - so when it came to start doing the real thing, I had a pretty good idea about what was going on.

obviously you don't get the seat of the pants feel, or the occasional pinball in a washing machine turbulence effect, but it definately sped things up for me. now I'm 10 hours into 'reality' and using the sim to practice procedures in the flight training manual and checklist run throughs.

long story short - it's saved me a lot of money.

and as already pointed out, flying in FS2004, even with a full yoke / throttle / rudder setup, is actually harder than the real thing. and for the first 2 hours I drove my instructor nuts with over-reliance on instrumentation!

AdamFrisch
1st Aug 2010, 22:34
So nice today to go flying by myself and on my own again. I feel rejuvenated. Quick bimble around Beachy Head and then back to Lydd. Ahh, just what the doctor ordered after all that LA hardcore instruction.