PDA

View Full Version : One of those memorable days

Justiciar
21st Jul 2010, 14:59
Although I have flow tailwheel aircraft for some years I have never really spent much time learning the art of a wheely landing, probably because my local airfield is a bit short for them at 480 meters max. So today was the day to fly with one of the Chipmunk group's ex RAF pilots and instructor. And what a day!!

We get airborne and he first demonstrates a wheely back at Felthorpe. We then move on the Old Buckenham, having phoned ahead. We do four approaches and landings including one at 85 kts with no flaps ..... interesting :ooh: I am actually flying quite well, which is a bonus :ok:

Off the final landing we pay are dues in the club house and enjoy the best cup of tea in a long time. Why does tea (or beer) taste so good after a good work out in the Chippy?

When we arrive the airfield is deserted. As we sit wondering who no one seems to be flying on such a beautiful day the birds start to flock in. First a dark blue RV8. A few minutes later an immaculate Robin DR400, then a Jodel D140, equally immaculate and then a Cessna 180 in silver and red. The local PA 28 180 follows in behind and suddenly the airfield is buzzing. We chat for a few minutes with the crew of the Jodel and C180, who have come some distance (I think for a Loop photo shoot). Finally, it is back to Felthorpe. Final is interesting with the powerful updrafts from the heated land lifting the aircraft even with no throttle. I have to put on some keen sideslip almost to the threshold to avoid a go around.

Some days just stick in you mind for ever and this will be one of them. It reminds me why despite the bureaucracy, fees, maintenance and fuel costs I keep flying.

thing
21st Jul 2010, 16:14
You don't get many days like that, glad you had a good one. Funny how the memorable flights generally aren't ones where you did this and that for the first time.

I remember taking an aerotow to 6,000 one summer evening about 9 pm. No lift around at that time except for the heat coming off woods and forests which gave some zero sink. The air was as smooth as silk and the glider felt like it was on rails. I just let it fall slowly out of the sky at min sink in virtual silence. It took about an hour to get down as all the lights were being switched on below. The clouds were catching the sunset and I felt as close to nature/the divine call it what you will as I've ever felt. Absolute magic and unforgetable. Makes all the flogging around circuits etc worth it.

You can't share these moments with anyone who hasn't done it really.

stiknruda
21st Jul 2010, 19:27
Excellent J! Just spent a day prepping my lower wings for the paint booth. Top wing rib stitching commences at 07H00 tomorrow! Paint on by end of month.

Stik

Justiciar
21st Jul 2010, 19:42
It's been a long time! Be good to hear the sound of that PITZ in the air again :ok: