PDA

View Full Version : Help regarding ultralight accident in Canada

rotornut
21st Jul 2010, 12:15
A few years ago a friend of mine was killed in an ultralight accident. I searched the Transportation Safety Board's database and there is no accident report available. Are there any other places to search for an accident report? Thanks in advance.

RatherBeFlying
21st Jul 2010, 13:29
You can likely find it here: Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Reporting System (CADORS) - Main Menu (http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/cadors-screaq/m.aspx?lang=eng)

The Canadian TSB keeps things close to its chest until the report is issued. Commonly it takes tow years to complete a report and I have heard that that is because the limitation period for civil lawsuits is two years. It can then take an additional year for the French translation to be made available, which is required to be done before the report will be posted on their website.

IF by some magic you know the TSB is developing a report on a particular accident you can submit an inquiry. They do release the English version on request once it is available.

TSB makes an annual report to Parliament which lists the Air Reports they have completed:

Google site:tsb.gc.ca annual

It ain't the NTSB

Katamarino
21st Jul 2010, 14:09
Damn French, if they're not striking, they're slowing down Canada!

Pilot DAR
21st Jul 2010, 15:36
Be aware that some accidents, even fatal ones, do not classified highly enough to trigger much of a report. I don't know exactly how the classifications are decided. Not all reports seem to be made public, and I've had to ask for some in the past.

If you want to PM me some detail, I do have someone I can ask.

QDMQDMQDM
22nd Jul 2010, 21:58
Why not ask this question at avcanada?

rotornut
23rd Jul 2010, 15:00
Thanks, guys. I found a short synopsis of the accident on the Transport Canada site and have posted the question on avcanada.