PDA

View Full Version : PPL and microlights?

alistairP
21st Jul 2010, 11:15
I have a PPL-A and due to financial reasons would like to get an MW6T. What do I need to do wrt licencing? Thanks in advance chaps.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Jul 2010, 11:34
(1) Differences training, signed off by a microlight instructor in your logbook. Expect this to take 1-2 hours, you can do it in your own aeroplane.

(2) Join the LAA and/or BMAA (the MW6T is looked after by the LAA so you will need full membership or they won't renew your permit).

(3) Personally I think that whilst certainly safe, the 6T has poor handling, mediocre ergonomics and crap performance. At least look to buying an MW6S which only has crap performance, or the MW5 (single seater) which is a much nicer handling aeroplane than either. If no particular thing about MWs, then right at the cheap end of the market the Thruster TST, Rans S4/5, X'Air 582, AX3, AX2000, Minimax are all much nicer aeroplanes with probably better spares availability as well (the 6T you'll be making your own in most cases!).

G

richs3
22nd Jul 2010, 15:00
I too am interested in the whole topic of flying microlights/ultralights on a PPL. What I'm keen to understand is in order to keep the licence current I'm assuming the 12 hours flying every second year must be flown in a SEP?

Rod1
22nd Jul 2010, 17:29
“(2) Join the LAA and/or BMAA (the MW6T is looked after by the LAA so you will need full membership or they won't renew your permit).”

Pedant// You need” full membership plus” which is different from “full membership” (more expensive) //Pedant

Rod1