PDA

View Full Version : Endorsments to fly in Antigua

Sarrie
20th Jul 2010, 21:43
Does anyone know who I would have to contact to be able to use my PPL in Antigua?

Artistic Intention
21st Jul 2010, 10:40
Nobody, you can just fly on your UK license.

There used to be a PA-28 at VC Bird, not sure if it is still there.

liam548
21st Jul 2010, 11:34
Its not something I ever read about during training but how do we know where our jar ppls are valid and where they are not?
I understand you can fly a G reg anywhere and some other countries require extra documentation and training.

I'm surprised you can simply fly right away on a uk ppl in Antigua, where else is like this?

Flying Lawyer
22nd Jul 2010, 06:49
Sarrie

You don't say whether you have access to an aircraft or hope to self-fly hire. If the latter, make enquiries about the availability of aircraft - things may have changed since but there was no SFH available in Antigua when I was there about five years ago.

I flew with a local owner/pilot. Not strictly SFH in the sense that the owner comes with the aircraft but you sit in the left seat, do all the flying and can take passengers if you wish. It didn't bother me because I always fly with a local when flying in a new country for the first time.

This info may be out of date but it's worth trying:

PA28-161, Reg V2-LDW.
David Hart: +1 268 463 3000.
He's a civil engineer, and used to instruct in California before moving to Antigua.

We flew around Antigua and then over to Montserrat, Nevis and St Kitts. Montserrat is worth seeing. We couldn't land because the original airport was destroyed by the volcano in the 90s and the new airport wasn't completed. (We did a day trip by sea.) Nevis is a small, very friendly airfield. St Kitts airport is bigger and busier.
David was happy to do longer flights to other islands if required, and was very pleasant company.

To whet your appetite .....

English Harbour
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/EnglishHarbour.jpg

Horseshoe Bay
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/HorseshoeBay.jpg

Sarrie
23rd Jul 2010, 23:07
Thanks for the info guys. I do have a contact there who is an Ex Comm pilot who flew for Liat and has alot of good contacts @ VC Bird. One of which does have a PA 28.

ericferret
25th Jul 2010, 08:08
My wife hired a PA28 V2-LDW in Antigua which was owned by a female pilot who I think flew for LIAT.
She flew a check ride with the owner and then had the use of the aircraft. Which she flew to
Guadaloupe on a day trip with my daughter..

Probably no longer there.