PDA

View Full Version : Biplane Accident at Headcorn

planegirl68
20th Jul 2010, 10:37
Link to photos below:

Tiger Moth crash landing at Headcorn | Airplane-Pictures.net (http://www.airplane-pictures.net/news.php?p=751)

Both pilots were ok, we saw them get out.

Lister Noble
20th Jul 2010, 13:37
How sad,was it landing or taking off?
Lister

ShyTorque
20th Jul 2010, 13:49
Glad they escaped harm. Interesting to see the apparently neutral rudder position during that sequence of photos. :confused:

kevmusic
20th Jul 2010, 14:03
Hi Lister - they were practising circuits and this was the fourth landing. Damned shame. It's great the crew walked away, of course, ("We killed them afterwards", came the comment in the Tiger Club clubhouse yesterday) but how the Tiger bites!

Since I started converting to the Tiger a couple of months ago, I have heard a lot about how easy is the Tiger to fly, the usual corollary being, but it's difficult to fly well. How is it easy to fly??!! We only have the one long runway at Headcorn, so you're usually landing with a crosswind; and while they're a doddle in a Cessna or even a Cub, x-wind landings in the Tiger require extreme concentration, sound training and a prayer or two. I've done five hours now (two in Gadget, bless her soul) and as well as the appalling view on approach, you have to master the into-wind wing-down, top rudder technique, right down to the flare. I'm getting on okay, but I can well see how this situation could occur, as I have been skidding over the grass towards the markers myself - the check pilot mercifully got us out of that one - and it can all happen very quickly. It's a bit of a mystery why the aircraft shot off downwind, though. You'd normally expect her to weathercock into wind; which was coming from the camera's 9 o'clock.

Glum faces at the Tiger Club. :sad: Many thousands have been spent on re-furbishing Gadget, which can't be recovered.

peter272
20th Jul 2010, 14:49
First shot looks rather nose high.

Did they lose it after a bounce?

airgirl
21st Jul 2010, 12:26
Poor Gadget, I feel so very very sad :{:{

Is there any chance of rebuilding her? Seems such an awful shame to loose her.

So glad that both on board were ok though.

stiknruda
21st Jul 2010, 19:36
Very sad. Glad crew okay.

Having owned a Tiger, I have a love/hate relationship with them - I love seeing them being flown preferably by anyone but myself and I'd hate to own another - you couldn't give me a dH 82:E

shortstripper
22nd Jul 2010, 19:01
If someone offers you one then Stik, send them my way :ok:

Compared to a VP ....... ? :E (and the masochist in me likes VP's)

SS

Big Pistons Forever
22nd Jul 2010, 21:52
If someone offers you one then Stik, send them my way :ok:

Compared to a VP ....... ? :E (and the masochist in me likes VP's)

SS

Powerfull psychotropic drugs and a few yeas of intensive therapy could probably cure you of your unfortunate affliction ;)

QDMQDMQDM
22nd Jul 2010, 21:56
We only have the one long runway at Headcorn, so you're usually landing with a crosswind;

Isn't there a short cross runway?

kevmusic
22nd Jul 2010, 23:36
Isn't there a short cross runway? Yes, but 03/21 at 312m is unlicensed, and not used for basic training of any sort. I've used it, with an instructor, for an adrenaline-fuelled circuit and landing in snow, in a hooley of a northerly.