PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Thailand

Supermattt
19th Jul 2010, 22:29
Hi All,

My Sis lives in Chiang Mai Northern Thailand. I am wanting to do some flying out there. I have found out that you have to do the Thai Air Law and Operational Procedures exam in order to obtain a foreign license validation. I was wondering if anyone has done this recently and is able to offer any advice especially on fees for joining a club (looks like a club has to submit your application to the authorities), dos and don'ts or anything helpful?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Guzzler
19th Jul 2010, 22:35
Can't help but please share the results of your homework. I'm planning on spending January in Thailand and if it is not too much hassle flying may beat buying a motorbike which is my current plan ...

Sultan Ismail
20th Jul 2010, 01:25
try Googling Chiang Mai Flying Club, probably has answers to your questions, alternatively try Thai Flying Club.

dutch crosswind
20th Jul 2010, 05:19
The airfield of CM Flying Club (Lamphun) is closed due to reconstruction. Try Nok Aviation (NOK Aviation home page (http://www.nokaviation.com/)), 15 km from CM. Year membership is 3000 baht, One month is 500 baht. If you don't have a Thai license you need a safety pilot. Nothing wrong about that, because he knows much of the surroundings. Applying for the exam cost some months. Rumours say that DCA (Dept of Civil Aviation) cancelled the HPL exam. Nobody passed that exam (exept me..), it was not difficult, but everything needs time here. The flying club has to do it for you, costs 2500 baht, and then you are only authorized to fly aircraft of that particular club.

XLC
5th Aug 2010, 05:42
Applying for the exam cost some months. Rumours say that DCA (Dept of Civil Aviation) cancelled the HPL exam. Nobody passed that exam (exept me..), it was not difficult, but everything needs time here.

Some more precision here.
1/ in this writer's case the time it took between applying and passing the exams was less than 2 week. The DCA was very cooperative in my opinion, and so was Nok Aviation.
2/ The Human Performance exam is not cancelled (as of Aug 2 2010, and if ever) ; having said, we were 5 people sitting on that exam, and we were apparently also exceptions as we all passed the first time as well ... . The support of the club is very good for the preparation.
3/ The paperwork to get the licence endorsed might indeed take several weeks as you and the DCA need to contact your own Aviation Authority to ask them to release your personal data. But I met so many foreign pilots flying w/ a Thai licence that it must be worth it.

Lastly, Nok Aviation is indeed a nice little club in Chiang Mai and flying with a safety pilot is probably the best choice if you can only stay a couple of days/weeks.

PGT066
12th Apr 2013, 04:27
I recently imported an airplane to Thailand. Since there is very little (Or Current) information on flying in Thailand. I created a Blog/website to give people the information to import planes, and operate in Thailand.

How to Import an Airplane into Thailand (http://thaiaerosport.com/import-airplane-thailand)