PDA

View Full Version : Sick pilot

MightyDucks
19th Jul 2010, 18:46
Hi all,

Today i finally started my ppl. i've been looking forward to this day for a long time. However it didn't exactly go how i planned it. i arrived and had my briefing and continuied out to the plane, and thats when the trouble started. I've done two trail flights before and if i'm been honest i did feel a little sick after them. todays flight on the other hand was a nightmare. from the second the plane left the ground i felt terrible:\. needless to say i got to see my lunch for the second time:uhoh:.embarrassing.i had no interest in what the instructor was saying from this point as all i wanted to do was get down. ive always had a weak stomach but i didn't think it would be so bad.

This has really put me off big time and i don't know if i could go through that again. Can anybody give me some advice on this, or tips to help with the sickness.

Cheers,
from a very down beaten wannab

Bigears
19th Jul 2010, 19:07
Hello MightyDucks,
1. Don't worry - I am one of the few people who have been sick while the CFI was flying (first lesson- effects of controls). A wee bit of un-cordinated flight (on purpose) combined with over-excitement due to the anticipation of the flight. I got quite worried about what might happen on subsequent flights, but didn't need to be
2. Get some wrist bands for air/seasickness - I eventually got rid of mine after the tenth or so flight and was fine
3. Take travel sickness tablets (again, found I didn't actually need them)
4. Make sure you have a bag ready (just in case)
5. Eat something 30-60 minutes beforehand. I suggest a banana (don't ask why!)
6. Ensure you have a supply of cool fresh air
7. Wear loose-fitting clothing that will keep you on the cool side of warm
8. See if you can sit in the aircraft for a while on the ground (obviously with the instructor present). Get used to the sight/smell of the aircraft and also the instruments and maybe also the seat harness. A non-flying day would be good for this (wet or a hazy day with no horizon)
9. And relaxxxx...
Been there, done that, now got the licence. I'm not the first and you're not the last!
Have fun! :ok:

flybymike
19th Jul 2010, 19:09
I am sure many people will tell you they had the same problem ( I know I did) but suffice to say that if you have the stamina to see it through then it does get easier and eventually becomes no problem at all. At the moment your balance mechanisms are reacting to very unfamiliar stimulii but they will adapt!

Jan Olieslagers
19th Jul 2010, 19:18
I was never sick but I did get VERY frightened during my first flights. Any turn more than 30 degrees would make me scream, much to the instructor's annoyance. Same thing for stalls, I could not stand loosing visual with the horizon.

Less than 100 hours later I now turn 45 and 60 degrees without ever winking an eye. Only looking at the plane's landing gear still tends to make me a bit dizzy.

If you do get in trouble: get as much fresh air as you can, and fix your eyes on one point on the horizon.

Kolossi
19th Jul 2010, 20:21
I often got carsick when I was young and even now can't really go on a boat without serious medication! So although I've been maybe 8 hours as a passenger with a mate in Cessnas/Robins/Warriors I was still very worried about starting the PPL even though it was something I've wanted to do for ages.

I've now got a grand total of 3 hours in the logbook over 4 lessons. First lesson we went above low stratus for lesson 1 and I was absolutely fine for a full hour.

Second lesson we were doing getting the aircraft well out of trim then the instructor handing it back to me to sort it out. I was obviously doing well as he gave it massive nose-down trim and as he said "you have control" I wasn't ready for the big-time nose-down. That made my lunch head for the exit, but I managed to hold it together for another 5 mins or so before having to ask the instructor to land. He was very good and pointed out there's no logic in paying £2.50/minute for someone to talk at you when you aren't paying attention!

Third lesson was a very bumpy day in blue skies and a gust caught us and flipped us into 30-40 Deg of bank, mainly due to the fact I didn't actually have my feet on the rudder pedals - I removed them when the instructor was manouvering and didn't put them back on for my go ! :rolleyes: Early landing again.

Forth lesson was absolutely fine.

My instructor has been quick to point out he used to suffer from sickness and still does as a passenger if he isn't careful. The mate who got me into it was actually sick during his skills test!

Bigears make some good points but I'd strongly advise the sensible eating - I actually have a ham sandwich and a banana more like 2 to 1.5 hours before flying time. I'm trying to find the balance between making sure I don't get hungry/low blood sugar before landing, but eating as far in as advance as I can get away with. It's also worth thinking of this even further ahead - if you go out on a bender or have a big fryup/chinese/indian the night before you may not be helping yourself.

I'd endorse the wrist bands, but I'm assuming when Bigears said to "take" sickness tablets he meant put them in the flight bag rather than to swallow some - I'd personally think carefully about having meds before flying. Avomine works a treat for me, but once I take one I'm out of it for a good number of hours and wouldn't drive let alone fly!

So the message here is loud and clear - if there's any way you can fight through it, things will get better - I don't know about you but I don't remember the last time I felt sick as a driver but still have to be careful as a passenger (particularly if the wife's driving ;)). As you get to do the flying and your body gets used to it I'm sure it will pass or at least you'll learn to cope.

Have a word with you instructor too. Was it a particularly "sporting" day as they call it on here weather-wise? If (s)he isn't sympathetic, then look for another instructor as plenty are.

Best of luck MightyDucks, and let us know how you get on. :ok:

Miroku
19th Jul 2010, 20:39
My instructor used to give me a polo mint and this seemed to help. You're certainly not alone with this problem but as you progress you'll feel better.

If the instructor is doing the flying you can feel bad but if you are doing the flying (same manoevre) then the sickness feeling goes away.

Best of luck

cats_five
19th Jul 2010, 20:39
<snip>
I'd strongly advise the sensible eating
<snip>

It's sensible everything really - not too hot nor too cold (e.g. appropriate and comfortable dress for the weather), not too full or hungry, not thirsty or bursting and of course not tired. Relaxing helps as well, which I guess is easier said than done, but apprehension should start wearing off after a few flights.

The one thing that made me feel very ill after about 30 minutes was a faint whiff of fuel - suddenly we had to go back, right now! We got back in time, and once I was back on firm ground and in fresh air I was fine again.

trex450
19th Jul 2010, 20:48
don't worry about it, you will get used to it in time. I know of someone who made himself airsick during a solo training exercise during his commercial training. All the credibility he lost through being sick he regained by the fact that he got it all outside the aircraft.............a PA28. Anyone familiar with the DV panels on a warrior will appreciate the precision involved! Good luck and don't let it get you down. As with all motion sickness it is better attacked with a full stomach, not an empty one.

Unusual Attitude
19th Jul 2010, 20:48
Duck, dont let it put you off at all, I'll quite happily lay it on the line and admit that I was by no means a natural when it came to keeping my lunch down. Many a time in the last 15 years have I either felt sick or thrown up, some of the more memorable examples:-

First flight in a chipmunk as an Air Cadet, I threw up.
Third or fourth flight starting my PPL, I threw up. (and felt sick most times before)
Instrument training over the Scottish mountains on a bumpy day under the hood, I threw up.
PPL revalidation flight on a hot day, dehydrated wearing a big jumper, I threw up.
CPL unusual attitude recovery on instruments in 40C heat in Florida, I threw up.
Jet Provost conversion Training afer an Aeros session (quite a bit of negative G), I threw up.
Getting carried away stringing too many aeros together in my Tipsy Nipper, I nearly threw up.

Think you'll be getting the picture by now....!

Now what I've realised after filling a number sick bags over the years is thats its usually a number of factors and not just flying itself. In my early days of flying it was typically exctment / nervousness and paranoia about being sick that made me sick. Once you get further into your flight training your confidence will grow and you'll be far too busy to even think about feeling sick!
IMC training on a bumpy day at failry low level I put down to poor planning by my instructor at the time.
Overheating on a hot day, as suggested before, wear light clothes so you keep cool, keep some fresh air coming into the cabin and keep yourself well hydrated.

As for aeros, that just comes with exposure, by the end of last summer I got to the point I could happily fly a full aeros session without feeling sick at all. After having a break from it for a couple of months and then going back I felt a bit iffy after only a spin, a couple of loops and some rolls.
So basically dont worry about it, your body is beinig put in a totally unnatural envoronment and will take some time to adjust, rest assured though it will adjust.
You can help by getting some Ginger chewing gum (you'll find it on the net) and I also tried a wee wrist band thing that gives you a small electric shock every few secs which helped during the early stages of learning Aeros. Try shorter flights initially so the sickness doesnt have time to get so bad, this will also help build up your confidence and stop you worring about getting sick etc (which will make you feel worse!)

I'm sure lots of others will be along with good advice but the main thing is not to leat it get you down and to know that it will get better the more you fly!

Good luck!

thing
19th Jul 2010, 21:11
I've never actually barfed but I certainly came close to it while doing spin training in gliders when the instructor was demonstrating, that horrible 'Am I or aren't I going to' with the little sickly hiccups that you get. As soon as I did it for myself I felt fine. I also felt definitely fragile towards the end of my endurance flight for my silver C, but I think that was more lack of hydration, poling a glider around in anything but straight and level flight for 5+ hours and the chocolate I took to keep the blood sugar up. I can't abide chocolate. I think that once you start taking control of the aircraft you will feel a lot better. I hate being a 'passenger'.

One of the guys at our gliding club was an ex Buccaneer back seater, he used to barf virtually every time he flew in Buccs. At least he got paid for it.

Stick with it, I doubt that there's ever been anyone who has aviated who hasn't gone green around the gills at some time.

MightyDucks
19th Jul 2010, 21:59
thanks everyone for the advice.

its nice to know i'm not alone on this. i'll try out the wrist bands and see how they go. any idea where i could get these?

Thanks again and i'll let ye know how my next lesson goes.:ok:

IFMU
20th Jul 2010, 01:56
One of my buddies used to get sick all the time. I can remember asking him how it went when he got back from his long solo x-c while working on his ppl. He said, "Great, I only got sick 3 times!" Talk about perserverance!

-- IFMU

Kolossi
20th Jul 2010, 08:23
i'll try out the wrist bands and see how they go. any idea where i could get these?

Boots in the UK, but reasonable-sized pharmacists should have them. Failing that, try t'internet (http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=travel+sickness+bands) :)

Unusual Attitude
20th Jul 2010, 08:52
This is the electric wrist band that I used for a while and worked for me, whap it up to number 5 if you start feeling sick and you'll be right as rain !

Relief Band Explorer Motion Sickness Relief System £119.99 (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/RELB1.asp)

My missus is also terrible on boats and in the air and shes used it several times with excellent results.

Also try some ginger gum stuff, ginger helps reduce nausea:-

Ginger Gum - All-natural relief from nausea with a great uplifting flavor (http://www.sea-band.com/gingergum)

davydine
20th Jul 2010, 08:53
When I was gliding I always found it much easier when I was in controll rather than having something demonstrated by the instructor. Fortunately I haven't had too many problems when flying but when i was sailing you could guarantee that if I had to go down in to the cabin and spend 10 minutes at the chart table with my head down plotting my position and I would be ready to vomit. Getting back in to the fresh air and looking out towards the horizon would cure it pretty quickly. Taking the helm, even quicker.

Eating crystalized ginger helped me but there is some debate as to if this is a medical effect or a placebo. The pressure point wrist bands available from Boots (other chemists are availabe!) also worked. So, my advice would be to tell the instructor at the very first sign of nausia. If you can, take the controlls and fly straight and level whilst looking out at the horizon. Try to avoid any sudden or jerky movements of the aircraft or your head. Try to get some fresh air on your face. If there is somewhere safe to store a sports bottle of water then try taking a sip of water to clear the "taste" from your mouth.

Keep trying. It will probably get better. On the boat i was more likely to be sick at the start of the season. By the end of the summer when i had been sailing regularly I had a cast iron stomach.

Finally, I tried not to take stugeron as it left me drowsy. Not great when you are in charge of a yacht doing 6 knots..... definately not good in an aircraft!:=

Good luck!

znww5
20th Jul 2010, 12:02
Lots of good advice here, although you do need to be careful about over-the-counter medicines - it would be wise to check with your AME prior to use as some are prohibited for pilots.

On a purely practical note, it would help if you avoided the thermally active part of the day and booked to fly either in the early morning or late afternoon/evening when the atmosphere is more stable. The smoother air should help with motion sickness and you will get the feel of the aircraft more easily if it is only your control inputs which are affecting the aircraft, rather than external air movements.

In a nutshell: perfectly normal, persevere and it will go away :)

CaptainTC
20th Jul 2010, 12:11
When i first started learning to fly i would feel sick about 15 mins into the flight. Even hours after the lesson i would feel like crap. The smell inside the Aircraft would turn my stomach, i think its the smell of Oil and Fuel. I find like others, if you eat a small meal about an hour before you fly, you feel much better. And drink water or tea. Its nothing to be worried about i'm sure a lot of us have had the same problem. Happy Flying. :)

fernytickles
20th Jul 2010, 13:53
If you do take travel sickness pills (this goes for anyone), try taking them the night before. That way you sleep off the drowsiness and the anti-nausea works for 12 or 24 hours. I worked on yachts for 2 years and an old sailor gave me that advice just before I started. Makes sense when you think about it, and it has always worked for me.

Good luck with your flying, don't worry about the sickness thing - it will only return with vigour when you realise how much money you are spending, and how much more you can spend when you get around to buying your own plane :ok:

cats_five
20th Jul 2010, 14:20
I was told the same on a flotilla holiday - take sea sickness pills the night before - but for a different reason, that they take time to work.

MightyDucks
28th Jul 2010, 16:58
Hi all,

just to let ye all know that i have had three more lessons and after taking on all yer advice i'm glad to report that i haven't barfted since:D:D:D:D

Kolossi
29th Jul 2010, 21:38
Glad to hear that MightyDucks, nice one :ok:. I had my 6th lesson yesterday, and following a big pitch-down demonstrating use of flaps in descent, it was only my instructor's ultra-quick "circuit" shortcutting base that prevented me actually barfing.

Which bits of advice in particular did you use? Did you get the electric bracet thingie? My lesson next week is first thing in the morning, so I'm going to try the suggested trick of having an avomine the night before in the hope it has some lingering anti-nasuea effect despite sleeping off the drowsyness part :)

NorthRider
30th Jul 2010, 11:28
I'd strongly advise the sensible eating

Sleep and food, make airmanship good!

MightyDucks
30th Jul 2010, 18:48
hey Kolossi,

No i didn't buy the bracelet, to be honest i just ate a banana or two about an hour and a half before each flight and dressed in light clothes and the most important IMHO a big blast of fresh air into the face. In my first lesson the sweat was rolling down my face (Nice i know) so the air helps me big time.
I'm still doing climing and desending and the irish weather is not helping me out.

Blues&twos
30th Jul 2010, 20:08
I've never felt sick during normal flight, but I have frequently felt sick during aerobatics. Nothing I've tried prevents this (eating bananas, mints, small sensible lunch, no lunch, lots of lunch etc). I haven't tried anti-sickness pills, but since my daughter recently bought some for a 4 day yacht trip I might give one a try next time. I do suffer from overheating very easily, so I always have the vents fully open and wear light clothing.

What I have found invariably stops me feeling sick is to drink a pint of full-fat cold Coca cola as soon as possible afterwards. I tried not doing this one evening and regretted only having a carrier bag with holes in the bottom in the car on the way home.

Kolossi
18th Aug 2010, 21:02
Just a quick update from me in case anyone's interested...

I've now had a couple more lessons and the "avomine the night before" trick has worked very well for me. I do feel a tiny bit drowsy even after a night's sleep (more than usual I mean!), but it is only marginal. I was compos mentis enough to do my first unassisted landing today so as I say it was a marginal effect.

Whilst I've got the instructor in with me I'll continue like this for a couple more lessons, but probably go down to half a tablet the night before and see if that is enough. I'm also still following the other advice of light clothes, plenty of air, (passive) travel bands and ham sandwich/banana an hour or so before.

Best wishes to all the barf battlers out there :ok: