View Full Version : Conversion

jet-a
19th Jul 2010, 10:51
Hey all,

I am very new to the aviation industry, and was hoping someone could outline the necessary steps that need to be taken to convert licences (CPL, IR, Medicals, etc - medicals would be straight forward but the rest?) from CASA to JAA. I am living in Australia at the moment and was wondering how you convert them, where do you go to do these and how much it'd cost approximately and what is generally involved. Alternatively if there's something somewhere on the internet about this sort of thing that someone has found, I'd appreciate it if they could point it out to me.

Thanks in advance.

redsnail
19th Jul 2010, 11:03
I've answered this question quite a few times. The Wannabe section has most of the replies.

Ok, go to the UK CAA SRG site. Look up LASORs and download it. Spend about 100 hours going through it with a fine tooth comb. That'll hopefully give you some idea of the task ahead.

Before setting out on this wonderful voyage of torture, do you have the right to live and work in Europe? If not, don't bother with JAA.

Cost and method of conversion does depend on what licence you hold and the hours you have. Remember, you can only convert like for like.
If you have a CPL with ATPL theory, you can only convert the CPL. Your ATPL exams won't mean a thing.

So. Medical. Yep, you'll need to do one in Gatwick. It's not quite as expensive or detailed as an initial Class 1. £300 is my guesstimate, (I did it 9 years ago)

Theory exams. Depending on what licence you have, determines that.
Either way. 14 ATPL exams. Not cheap. Budget £3000.
You will probably have to do some theory too.

Flying. Definitely not cheap.
IR. Minimum of 15 hours (can be sim)
CPL. Whatever you need to get to standard. I think the average is £300/hour

Now, if you have an ATPL and have 500 hours on eg a B737. You just need to do an LST with a TRE and someone from the CAA. I can't remember off hand what a sim goes for but plan on £2-3,000. You'll have to sort it all out yourself.

If you don't have 500 hours on type but have 500 hours multipilot, then you can do a type rating on a B737 or Airbus or Dash 8 etc.

I did it 9 years ago, I used the Shorts type rating to get me started, including living costs, it cost £21,000.

jet-a
19th Jul 2010, 11:22
:bored:

That's all a bit overwhelming. Thanks for that though, cause everyone I asked before today were so vague and I don't think they actually knew. I've got a while to go before I have to deal with all that, but just needed to know in advance to get an idea.

Thank you.