PDA

View Full Version : "Family holiday" airfields

VMC-on-top
19th Jul 2010, 09:16
Looking for suitable places to go with the family (2 kids under 4) in the UK which ideally, are located next to, or very close to an airfield so we can arrive at accommodation within a matter of minutes of landing. ie without hassle of bundling all gear into a taxi etc.

Came across Branscombe in Devon when browsing the other day but no idea how good it is.

Any other recommendations from personal experience?

thanks.

BackPacker
19th Jul 2010, 09:24
Texel (EHTX). Hotel on top of the airfield restaurant so you park the aircraft directly in front of your hotel room. Bike hire from the airfield manager himself, lots of beautiful scenery (including the Slufter, an inland tidal wetland), museums (including Ecomare, a seal hospital/wetland museum) and of course the beach within a few kilometers.

I realise the flight might be a bit long for under-fours but if you route along the beach the whole way it's easy navigation and there's lots to see.

Jan Olieslagers
19th Jul 2010, 09:26
Backpacker, did you realise the request was for a place IN THE UK?
Myself was ready to suggest Sédan-Douzy...

Deeday
19th Jul 2010, 09:46
Rochester has got a hotel within walking distance from the tower. Not exactly a holiday destination, but there's plenty of things to see around nevertheless.

flybymike
19th Jul 2010, 11:30
Newquay are not altogether unreceptive to GA.

And of course Blackpool is a fairly obvious choice.

(Apart from Glenforsa ;) ) avoiding a taxi trip might be difficult though.

IRRenewal
19th Jul 2010, 12:17
How about Skegness? They seem to cater for that kind of thing.

Edit to add:

I see you are in the NE of England, so Skegness might be too near for you.

BackPacker
19th Jul 2010, 12:32
Backpacker, did you realise the request was for a place IN THE UK?

Come on, you can get to Texel from anywhere in the UK in less than three hours - although I admit some routes would require an uncomfortably long overwater crossing. If you have a pilots license and a plane, why limit yourself to the UK?

Jan Olieslagers
19th Jul 2010, 12:41
1) that's anyone's own decision - O/P may have his reasons, such as an IMC rating
2) have you conveniently forgotten about the mandatory customs clearance?

That said, I admire your patriotism! :)

Blues&twos
19th Jul 2010, 12:44
If the channel islands isn't too far, how about Alderney? It's UK-ish.

BackPacker
19th Jul 2010, 12:47
2) have you conveniently forgotten about the mandatory customs clearance?

Texel is a customs airfield although I seem to remember they require 1 or 2 hours PN. Together with the GAR form it means you can fly from anywhere in the UK direct to Texel and back.

Jan Olieslagers
19th Jul 2010, 12:50
That's new to me, Sir; accept my apologies and my gratitude for teaching me something new. What's this GAR form?

BackPacker
19th Jul 2010, 13:14
The General Aviation Report (GAR) form is a form you fill in and fax to the appropriate UK authorities an appropriate number of hours in advance (details on the back page of the form). This basically allows you to fly into and out of the UK direct via any UK airfield - it does not have to be a customs airfield. Obviously there are some limitations, but it's very convenient for private flying.

It's only relevant for the UK side of things though. For the mainland Europe side of things you need to fly via a customs airfield such as Texel.

Download here: HM Revenue & Customs (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_Forms)

peter272
19th Jul 2010, 13:16
Newquay are not altogether unreceptive to GA.

You might find landing and parking charges a bit eye-watering. Perranporth more likely

Branscombe has a caravan site adjacent to the runway and has a good beach nearby.

Bolt Head at Salcombe also a good spot

VMC-on-top
19th Jul 2010, 14:46
Thanks for the responses

Alderney - seems a good choice (and Guernsey for that matter)
Crail = Scotland = rain?
Texel - abroad and have IMC rating so no thanks (not with kids anyway)
Blackpool - hardly worth flying for TBH
Newquay / Perranporth - both good choices
Bolt Head - looks lovely!!

What about Roserrow or other Devon / Cornwall hotspots?

Katamarino
19th Jul 2010, 15:01
You know you're still allowed to fly VFR abroad, even if you do have an IMCR, right? :ok:

VMC-on-top
19th Jul 2010, 15:08
Yes, thank you. However, if I'm in mainland Europe, there is more chance I could get "stuck". This will be our first holiday with the kids on a reasonably long journey in the aircraft so I would just like everything to go smoothly.

peter272
19th Jul 2010, 15:18
Thanks for the responses

Alderney - seems a good choice (and Guernsey for that matter)
Crail = Scotland = rain?
Texel - abroad and have IMC rating so no thanks (not with kids anyway)
Blackpool - hardly worth flying for TBH
Newquay / Perranporth - both good choices
Bolt Head - looks lovely!!

What about Roserrow or other Devon / Cornwall hotspots?

Roserrow is nice. It is a golf course and landing fee is pricey, but give them a go.

Take a look at the Devon Strut airfield page. That will point you in the right direction

Devon Strut (http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/#/airfields/4536697666)

Flyboater
19th Jul 2010, 16:50
Caernarfon ? Virtually on the beach. Caravans, guest houses, hotels and some spectacular scenery ( Snowdonia) all nearby

140KIAS
19th Jul 2010, 21:39
Doesnt quite meet the no taxi requirement but Tralee Bay Holiday Park is only a short hop from Oban. Or Dornoch for Grannie's Heilan' Hame (Haven) Holiday Park.

Had a fantastic family holiday last year at Bluestone in Pembrokeshire. Not a million miles from Haverfordwest.

IO540
19th Jul 2010, 21:40
Perranporth would make a nice holiday with kids who want to muck about on a (rather "lower class" :) ) beach. Or for kids who do not mind walking (there must be some of those :) ) there are lovely walks along the cliffs and down below.

millen
19th Jul 2010, 23:07
Yes, Roserrow has self-catering accommodation though it's mainly 4* or 5*. The home owners tend to prefer full week bookings in high season but might accept a shorter break if you ask. Approx 10-15 mins stroll down through the golf course to the surfing beach at Polzeath. Rather longer to Rock, which then has a little ferry over the Camel estuary to Padstow.
Self Catering Cornwall luxury Holiday houses cottages apartments Roserrow Golf Country Club Polzeath Rock Cornwall UK (http://www.roserrow.co.uk/index.htm)
Fair range of activities on site but if staying more than a couple of days you might appreciate a hire car.

I do have a contact there (and indeed an apartment though that's fully booked to end-August) so feel free to pm me if you'd like an introduction - they might try a bit harder to find something to suit :)

englishal
20th Jul 2010, 07:02
Jersey has to be a prime candidate. The £15 or so landing fee includes a weeks parking which is very good value for money.

minimad
20th Jul 2010, 09:43
@ CMC on top, whats wrong with blackpoo ya cheeky monkey!

VMC-on-top
21st Jul 2010, 14:39
whats wrong with blackpoo ya cheeky monkey!

Absolutely nothing, its just not worth flying to - about 2.5 hours driving from home, or drive to airport, ready plane, fly, taxi etc. would probably take about the same, if not longer.

The Original GF
21st Jul 2010, 15:23
Glenforsa Hotel, 50m from 730m Airfield. Family Lodges
, Whale watching trips, great beaches, great base for trips to other islands.Isle of Mull_ Glenforsa Hotel (http://www.glenforsa.com)

rans6andrew
22nd Jul 2010, 15:26
If you want to go "overseas" but not by much, Sandown on the Isle of Wight has a caravan site right next door. The possible downside is a 3 night minimum booking for a caravan. You will need to self cater although they have a bar and some evening "entertainment". There is a Morrisons supermarket within easy walking for all the stuff you can't carry with you. The beach is a bus ride (or taxi ride) for small children, we usually walk it though.

Poke Cheverton Copse into your Google.

Rans6...