PDA

View Full Version : CRI - privileges changing?

flatfilea4
18th Jul 2010, 23:27
Hi,

I'm considering doing Class Rating Instructor (CRI) courses - SEP and then MEP

Doing research I came across this thread http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/409015-use-cri-rating.html. In it it is suggested that some of the current privileges will be removed from the CRI; if I read the thread correctly.

Does the CRI have any long term value?

flatfilea4

Whopity
19th Jul 2010, 07:22
Under EASA the CRI will not be able to train pilots for a High Performance Single Pilot Type Rating; they are introducing a new category of TRI (SPA). Additionally a CRI will have to take a test with a FIE on any additional Class or Type on which he wishes to give instruction; at the moment, once qualified it is only a case of having the required experience on the Class or Type.
The CRI privileges are actually expanding as they will be able to teach for aerobatic ratings, towing ratings and if you live in Switzerland, mountain ratings.

Unless you have a specific purpose for a CRI(ME) such as converting company pilots, or combining it with a IRI, I doubt that you will find any use for it. Most FIs with ME privileges can't find enough work to stay current; it all died 10 years ago.

flatfilea4
22nd Jul 2010, 11:55
Whopity,

Thanks for your reply - I think that I'll wait to see what comes out of EASA over the next few months.

Cheers

flatfilea4