PDA

View Full Version : Sleap Airfield.

Delta Wun-Wun
30th Sep 2001, 20:15
I am popping up to Sleap Airfield next week to have a look at Shropshire Aero Club.I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of them,and your opinions.From their web site it looks a nice place.
Cheers DWW :)

Whirlybird
30th Sep 2001, 20:57
I'm a member, though I don't fly from there very often since I got addicted to helicopters. Friendly place, nice cafe, reasonably cheap hire rates; I like it. What else would you like to know?

Tiddles
1st Oct 2001, 00:46
Nice airfield, good choice of runways. Good restaurant and a small WWII museum.

Just don't land at RAF Shawbury by mistake like a previous member of our syndicate! He thought... I didn't realise that Sleap would go to the expense of retaining RAF Police in landrovers, bit over the top!

M14P
1st Oct 2001, 02:28
Don't know but, on an entirely frivolous note, I've always wanted to fly from Sleap to Little Snoring and back again!

Delta Wun-Wun
1st Oct 2001, 03:56
Thanks for the postings...Go on then is it pronounced "sleep" or "slape"???
Don`t want to upset anyone. :D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Oct 2001, 12:47
DWW

It's pronounced "Slape". Nice field in lovely location. Good bacon and egg butties. Enjoy!!

SSD

wysiwyg
1st Oct 2001, 14:02
v funny M14P, you made me laugh :D

[ 01 October 2001: Message edited by: wysiwyg ]

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Oct 2001, 14:15
....You could always fly Sleap to Little Snoring via Sandy (Beds) and (H)itchin!

SSD

Cat.S
4th Oct 2001, 21:43
Fly into Sleap regularly from LPL and find them friendly at all times. The cafe in the old control tower is great and the aviation museum well worth a visit. If it's locked ask for the key at 'booking in'. You'll find many of the exhibits a salutory lesson in MSA! On the whole a great airfield and I wish I lived near enough to join.

Delta Wun-Wun
4th Oct 2001, 22:04
Thanks everyone for the replies.Well I have been up to have a look.What a smashing little airfield.The aircraft were spotless and very well maintained.Cafe/bar was very nice.The flight briefing room was the best I have ever seen with large map tables.The people there were very friendly.One checkout flight booked for next week. :D :cool: :D