PDA

View Full Version : Police Helicopters - V - PPl Flying

FLIR
30th Sep 2001, 01:38
As an ATPL(H) and a PPl (A) Operating with police helicopters, I would like to know of any pilot who feels threatened or worried by the proximity of a Police helicopter during it's normal operations and why. I feel that some PPl pilots are afraid, or in awe of our ops and regard us as spies in the sky !!! :eek:

Genghis the Engineer
30th Sep 2001, 10:52
I have a 'friend' who, whilst illegally transiting class D airspace without a radio was intercepted by a police helicopter for the purposes of identifying him. Serves the silly bastard right.

Other than that, no I've never seen police helicopters as anything other than professionals doing a job.

G

Heliport
30th Sep 2001, 12:53
I think some pilots, especially PPLs, are cautious and, judging by comments made by some police pilots on the Rptprheads forum some months ago, they are right to be cautious.
Perhaps naively, it had never occurred to me that police helicopters would get involved in policing the skies but, in a discussion about police helis, there were some who said they'd use their air law knowledge against pilots they saw infringing the regs, even to the point of drawing the cops attention to breaches.
:rolleyes:

[ 30 September 2001: Message edited by: Heliport ]

Kermit 180
30th Sep 2001, 13:26
Never had any problems with the Police helicopters here. They share the sky quite well and dont seem too concerned with what we do unless we operate near their patrol zone. The pilots are very professional and friendly.

I would suggest that a Police helicopter policing other aircraft, is a Police helicopter wasting tax payers money. They were put into the air to provide crime deterrants and to assist ground patrols, not to worry about PPL Joe Bloggs who inadvertantly made a turn at 900 feet instead of 1,000 feet.

Kermie

paco
30th Sep 2001, 14:11
It's probably not the pilot, but the observer, who is a policeman, remember, who makes such reports, although I must say that if I saw people deliberately going against air regs I would either take them to task myself, if practicable, or shop them myself (though that all depends on the situation - there are some people in the West of Canada who deserve it). The rules, however,unfortunate, are there and should be stuck to (but of course, mistakes do happen and a little common sense in dealing with it should be applied).

Then again, they are not always lily-white, either!

cheers

phil

[ 30 September 2001: Message edited by: paco ]

Noggin
30th Sep 2001, 14:19
It is of course the CAA not the Police who persue matters relating to breaches of the ANO.

Seing the TV coverage of a police helicopter persuing a paraglider pilot around Buckingham Palace it occurred that a good lawyer representing the paraglider pilot might have persued a case of breach of rule 5 and endangerment against the police helicopter pilot. I note the case went rather quiet, I wonder why

paco
30th Sep 2001, 14:47
The police can prosecute against the ANO, and the provisions of the Aviation Act do not necessarily allow the CAA to investigate crime - check out Para 2 of Pt III of Sch 13 to the Civil Aviation Act, 1982, unless it's been changed recently. That's where permission is granted for a statutory instrument called the ANO to make certain provisions, but there appears to be nothing to specify who enforces it.

I could go on....

cheers

phil

Saab Dastard
30th Sep 2001, 18:26
Flying along VFR south of Biggin Hill, routing towards Sevenoaks along the M25 at 100 knots, I saw a police helicopter so I immediately slowed down to 70 ;)

Just kidding

SD

Droopy
30th Sep 2001, 18:54
Most of the time it comes down to simple and sensible collision avoidance - we're usually too busy with real crime and we're not there to interfere with other peoples' leisure. The average police crew [and let's not get into the semantics of that term] will look at another pilot's actions in context. If that pilot is apparently doing something slightly unwise or inaccurate then no-one's going to make anything of it.
On very rare occasions however, if someone is clearly taking the p**s and deliberately flouting every aspect of good airmanship then surely you as sensible operators would expect something to be said. Even then it's far more often done as a quiet phone call rather than pursuing it legally.

paco
30th Sep 2001, 19:20
Saab Dastard -

Did you put the cell phone down as well? :)

Phil

Delta Wun-Wun
30th Sep 2001, 20:11
Did my PPL at Half-penny.. whoops...Wolverhampton International.Staffs Police Helicopter works out of there.Never bothered me whilst I was there.If someone was flouting Air rules around there you have more to fear from the Instructors who would soon put you right.

FLIR
1st Oct 2001, 00:50
Dear All,

Thanks for the feeback, interesting stuff.
Noggin I hear what you say but do remember that Police Helis are allowed to operate within rule 5 due to a handy dispensation from the CAA, and who would want to fly-by Buck Pal with one of those things???? Other guys are correct in saying that it is the Police Officers on-board that do the reporting (they are required to report as such by law, the enforcement branch of the CAA only get involved after the fact) keep it coming guys and gals.

regards FLIR :eek:

Southern Cross
1st Oct 2001, 13:47
Saab Darstard

Not just the cellphone, but also the bottle of water as well - if you are taking a drink, you obviously are not in control...

:D

What gets me is all the aircraft slowing very suddenly for the speed cameras ... :D

poetpilot
2nd Oct 2001, 15:33
What gets me is when they fly in front & put the blue lights and the STOP sign on. I mean, a Luton Minor is slow, but can someone tell me how to stop without stalling? :D

Squadgy
4th Oct 2001, 01:48
Hi,

I FISO at an airfield with a based police MD900, and also get a fair few visiting AS355s. Absoloutely no problem, the guys and girls on the unit are a pleasure to work with, and fit in with our other fixed wing and rotary ops with no problem.

(Still waiting foe my ride by the way !!)

geardown3greens
4th Oct 2001, 05:16
It isn't enough being a helicopter captain, he wants to have the words POLICE AIR OPS on his flight suit as well! There are 3 types of people disliked in the police and I didn't like any of them. Civilian staff, probationers and Specials! Haven't you got anything better to do? There are robbers and ........ :p

Vfrpilotpb
4th Oct 2001, 17:22
I never see them through my rear window, but it could be the Fluffy dice hanging from the canopy compass! or the shaded sun screen with Sharon & Kev across it, that stops me.

I treat em as just another flyer who may not have seen me, so always stay well away!! :p

FLIR
4th Oct 2001, 23:22
Geardown,
Thanks for the post, and your attempt to add to the thread. Can I answer your points one at a time?
1. Yes I am a captain - I have passed my ATPL exams and paid for them too.
2. I do not wear the words Police Air Ops on my flight suit.
3. I am not aware that in the force I work for Civilians are disliked.
4. Yes there are robbers etc out there - we do catch them.
5. Take a tip from a person glad for the work in aviation - if you maintain that kind of attitude with your future contacts in the business you will still be looking for a job, and as one who was lucky enough to be in the police you should know better!!!! nuff said

FLIR :(