View Full Version : Is it possible

thepro
18th Jul 2010, 09:03
Is it possible for a pilot to train for both airbus and boeing??

Denti
18th Jul 2010, 10:04
Yes, it is. But you have to meet the currency requirements for each type in that case, meaning two sim-checks per year per type, 3 landings in the last 90 days on each type etc. And you cannot under EU-OPS rules fly both types during the same duty period (working day).

Johnny F@rt Pants
18th Jul 2010, 10:07
Yes, but not generally at the same time. So the vast majority will fly a Boeing/Airbus for some time, then if the opportunity arose they could change fleets and train on the other type. I'm sure there'll be some exemption somewhere in the world that'll mean that some pilot's can fly both at the same time (not literally), but I doubt there's many due to the vast differences.

TheChitterneFlyer
18th Jul 2010, 10:09
A qualified Test Pilot is perhaps the only exemption to the rule.

TCF

thepro
18th Jul 2010, 10:18
thanks for the info, How many years it takes to finish both??

TheChitterneFlyer
18th Jul 2010, 10:34
There perhaps isn't a 'finite' time to train for both aircraft; however, unless you have a very fat wallet, no airline would embark upon this type of scenario.

Groundschool and flight simulator training might take something like six to eight weeks, but you'd then require 'line training' to be carried out under the supervision of a Line Training Captain... another couple of months at the least before being 'signed-off'. Multiply all of that by two and there's your answer. You'd need to be exceptionally bright (and wealthy) to even contemplate one full year of intensive flying training.

You'd then have to complete all of the flying 'minimums' as stated previously.

I'd say that it was a 'non-starter'!

TCF

mutt
18th Jul 2010, 13:02
train for both airbus and boeing Yes

no airline would embark upon this type of scenario Oh yes we would......we have pilots trained on both and they fly both :):)

Mutt