PDA

View Full Version : Any one have Sennheiser HMEC 26 reviews?

novato
18th Jul 2010, 03:34
Just wondering if anyone is using the Sennhieser HMEC 26 headset? If so any comments? Would you buy it again? Also which version do you need to use on NG with the dual plug set up?

Cheers

proxus
18th Jul 2010, 22:33
I might let you know how they work for me. Got mine few days ago and my first flight with them is tomorrow. Don't know about the NG but in the 757 I'd just got the same twin plugs as normally used in most A/C's.

novato
18th Jul 2010, 23:01
I look forward to your comments. Could you let me know how the "talk through" function works? Could you confirm the ANR still works when the talk thru is active?

cheers

novato
26th Jul 2010, 13:42
Proxus, how did the cross talk work?

rubik101
27th Jul 2010, 04:46
Stick HMEC 26 in the search faciltiy and you will get some reviews.

novato
27th Jul 2010, 13:19
rubik101, there is nothing in search in regards to the cross talk feature.

proxus
27th Jul 2010, 13:54
Well here's my first impression.

They're well made and solid. They feel comfortable to wear and the ANC does it's job quite well.
The talk through function opens up the headset a bit to much. I had imagined from the glossy brochures that it would allow spoken frequencies to pass through by using external microphones. The thing is that it lets most sound in as well, not just spoken word. There isn't much difference between Talk Through function in active mode versus no headset at all. But when you get used to it, hitting the button on the cup is quite easy and it works out ok when you get used to it. If you're budged conscious then you'd might think twice about spending the extra dough.

Another thing that equally gets on my nerves is that it picks up quite a lot of Window Heat static. This tone is quite noticeable when close to the windows but disappears rapidly when you move your head away from them. This is something of a problem I've heard with Sennheisers but I also heard they'd fixed the problem in the 26 and 46, apparently they have not.
This might be a problem with other ANC headsets which covers both ears as most sound is attenuated, this one jumps at you as it seems to affect the electronics of the headset. - Note to Sennheiser, please fix this -

The clamp pressure is ok. If you have sunnies that have large braces that goes by your ears then you might feel some pressure points on the top of your ears. The problem is that I think these kind of headsets don't allow any less of a pressure and keep the same seal between you and the headset. To get totally rid of this you'd need plug-in headset or maybe over the ear headsets (cup headset like David Clark).

Otherwise, I still believe this is the best headset at present time for me and for the line of work that I do. I've stopped missing radio call and the persons on the other end seems to read me just fine. But it's not without flaws.

Best regards,
Proxus

novato
27th Jul 2010, 15:57
Thanks for the update.

mrskytec
26th Aug 2010, 18:40
Dear all,

I thought it worth dropping this into the mix- it's the full range of features available on the HMEC 26:

Most Boeing types take twin-plugs: HMEC 26 BK- where 'B' stands for battery power for the ANR.
Addition of 'V' (HMEC 26 BVK) means inclusion of a volume control.

Airbus- XLR connectors- for panel power 'denoted by 'CP'.

Available options- taken from Proviation Pilot Shop, Pilot Supplies, and Aviation Products (http://www.proviation.com)
Availability is good across the whole range.

HME 26-K - Standard headset. Passive (non-ANR). Closed, Electret mic. Twin Jack
HMEC 26 - Standard headset. ANR. Closed. Electret mic. No Cable
HMEC 26T - Standard headset. ANR. Closed. Electret mic. Talk-through function. No Cable. (see below for further options)

HMEC 26-CP - ANR. Closed. Electret Mic. XLR-5 Panel Power (Airbus).
HMEC 26-B/CP - ANR. Closed. Electret Mic. Battery pack. XLR-5 Panel Power (Airbus)
HMEC 26-BV/CP - ANR. Closed. Electret Mic. Volume Control. Battery Pack. XLR-5 Panel Power (Airbus)
HMEC 26 - V/CP - ANR. Closed. Electret Mic. Volume Control. XLR-5 Panel Power (Airbus)

HMEC 26-B/K- ANR. Closed. Electret Mic. Battery Pack. Twin Jack Connectors (Boeing)
HMEC 26-BV/K- ANR. Closed. Electret Mic. Volume Control. Battery Pack. Twin Jack Connectors (Boeing)

HMEC 26T-CP - ANR, Talk-through, XLR-5, CU II Connector
HMEC 26T-KP- ANR, Talk-through, Twin jack Connectors
HMEC 26T-B/CP- ANR, Talk-through, Battery Pack, XLR-5/CU 6 Connector
HMEC 26T-B/K- ANR, Talk-through, Battery Pack, Twin jack Connectors
HMEC 26T-V/CP- ANR, Talk-through, Volume Control, XLR-5 Connector
HMEC 26T-BV/CP- ANR, Talk-through, Battery Pack, Volume Control, XLR-5 Connector
HMEC 26T-BV/K- ANR, Talk-through, Battery Pack, Volume Control, Twin jack Connector

d105
31st Aug 2010, 16:55
I like mine quite a bit. Very lightweight, comfortable and very good ANC.

Firestorm
31st Aug 2010, 17:10
If you buy your own headset you can claim the cost of against your tax code. Phone your HMRC office, and speak to a tax advisor. The headset can be considered as safety equipment.

C182
7th Sep 2010, 14:21
Hi proxus,
picking up this static noise from the windowheat means that your microfone is faulty.
Get it replaced by Sennheiser as long as you have warranty on it.
I paid "91Quid yes 91":ooh: to get mine replaced for the hmec25.

Brgds Mike

proxus
8th Sep 2010, 00:20
Hi C182.

Ok I've heard that this can be a Sennheiser jetset "signature" problem. Hearing a "tone" from the window heat that is. How can it be a faulty microphone, I wonder. I thought it somehow interfered with the circuit in the headset itself rather than maybe something like the mike. I also noticed that the nuisance wasn't as the same across a fleet of the three '75s my company has.

Please let me know if you have any more details on this before I go to the dealer. I would hate to hand them off for 1 month repair just to have the same problem persisting. Otherwise I have started to really love them.

Proxus

SixPin
30th Nov 2010, 20:37
What is talkthrough please?

SR-22
30th Nov 2010, 21:32
Hi guys

I have to say I have also noticed this nuisance "window heat static" in the Sennheiser HMEC 46 when close to the windows.. but interestingly only in my companies newer aircrafts (B738-2007 models) which is why I so far have liked the Telex 850 better and ears don't get sore during the return flight which I always have with the Sennheiser's.

So I am looking for a good headset if any can bring some good suggestions? Fly 737NG's with the twin jack connector although 2 newer aircraft have the XLR connector. Have been looking into the Clarity Aloft headset which seems really nice at least for those who don't mind in-ear headsets.

Denti
1st Dec 2010, 10:50
Talk through is a function that allows a microphone in one ear cup to pick up external noise and transmits it into your earphones. Helps on the ground but is pretty useless in flight since it picks up the aerodynamic noise (737 here).

I tried the HMEC-26 now for a couple days and as someone who has to wear glasses i'm not comfortable with the clamp pressure so far. Apart from that and a very low window heat background noise it is pretty much perfect.

Sadly the clamp pressure issue will probably lead to return it and buy something else. I used the Telex 850ANR until some "nice" colleague stole it and it was not quiet enough but never had a problem with pressure on my ears. Tried the Bose A20 for a few minutes and it seems to be extremely comfortable, however i do not know how well it works in the 737 where we do not have a real intercom system. Somewhat undecided at the moment what i gonna do, keep the sennheiser, get the bose, or try the t-bone.

STBYRUD
1st Dec 2010, 12:33
Hmm, thats why I went for the Tbone back then. Happy with it so far, good product, stellar service - no regrets so far. A couple of colleagues went for the HMEC 26 but in our company there is no culture of intercom use, so the whole NC thing is pretty much useless if you leave one ear free or continuously leave the talkthrough on.

SixPin
7th Dec 2010, 20:30
Thanks guys.
Rather like the sound of the Sennhieser HMEC 26-B/K- ANR.:cool:
However, the price is insane!:{
Does anyone know how I can get one at a sensible price?;)
You can get a car for £600!

If anyone knows a posible contact, can you send me a PM?
:ok:

Denti
7th Dec 2010, 21:01
Try sennheiser directly if your company has a deal with them you might get it for a steep discount, then there is a sennheiser professional pilot program which gives out a voucher for 25% or so rebate, at least in germany.

KwikFly
10th Dec 2010, 06:32
Yes you definitely have to shop around.... I bought mine for 400 EUROS in the 'Aviation Megastore' in Amsterdam. Unfortunately, they stopped selling them now. (still a good website to spend some time on!)
Having said that, a colleague of mine has a Bose ANR headset. Their price is nearly twice what a Sennheiser costs, but there's as much difference between this headset and my Sennheiser as there is between mine and the simple Telex!
But where does one find those?! (my colleague bought his in the USA when on holiday - unfortunately we don't fly to the USA)
Cheers

FlyboyUK
10th Dec 2010, 10:43
Had my 26-BKT for a few months after having had a 25 for many years. As others have said it's lightweight, comfortable and well made. ANR is much improved and battery life is considerably better. Only slight issue was that the padding on the top came unstuck and had to superglue it. But i'm very pleased with it.

Definitely worth shopping around. Got mine from Headset Services at Shoreham.

His dudeness
10th Dec 2010, 10:58
@flyboy: we currently use the 25 in a Citation Sovereign. Whilst i like it I´m interested in your statement that the ANR has improved (I presume over the -25)
Can you describe the difference?

FlyboyUK
11th Dec 2010, 09:42
Well as I'm sure you're aware it's when you turn the ANR off that you realise just how much noise it cuts out. Seems much better on the 26.

Also when I started flying the 737-800 my 25 started eating batteries. With the 26 I get a longer battery life on the -800 than I did on other types with my 25 when the battery life was pretty decent.

Can't say I often use the talkthrough function much though