PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for enjoyable trip from Glasgow to Islands (West)

laurie
27th Sep 2001, 16:50
Hello all.

I am wondering if any of you have taken trips to the western islands off Scotland. Your thoughts on the most enjoyable and scenic trips would be appreciated - also any considerations or simply good pointers for accommodation in the islands area for spending a night/eating out there.

Thankyou,
Laurie.

rnobson
27th Sep 2001, 17:05
Yes Laurie

Done it both by road and air which way were you planning on

You can email me at [email protected]

Genghis the Engineer
27th Sep 2001, 19:08
Try a triangle of Glasgow to Glenforsa (Mull), Glenforsa to Plockton, and back.

Glenforsa is a lovely grass runway running parallel with the beach, with a very nice hotel a few minutes walk away. No fuel so far as I can recall.

Plockton is a pretty fishing village, decent tarmac runway, lots of places to eat or sleep in walking distance. I've picked up fuel there, although it was fairly pricey (mind you, the chap told me he had to trailer it from Inverness, so I forgave him that).

Glasgow - Mull is short but pretty along the mainland coast. Mull - Plockton is mostly over mountains, with a good view of Skye, a short en-route detour takes in Eilean Donan (the castle in all the films).

Broadford airfield on Skye is nice and just about in-sight of Plockton, but if you want to go into Broadford (which is worth it) it's a 4-mile walk and mobiles don't work, so book your taxi to meet you in advance if you aren't feeling energetic.

G

laurie
28th Sep 2001, 02:25
Rob - its by air
Genghis - thanks for your post.

Laurie

'India-Mike
28th Sep 2001, 13:38
laurie

Try Prestwick-Islay-Tiree-Oban-Prestwick. Wouldn't go for Glasgow unless you're rich 'cos you won't get a concessionary landing fee.

Over the last two years HIA (Highlands and Islands Airports) have run the Black Bottle Whisky challenge - Campbeltown-Oban-Tiree-Islay inside 24h. That's a nice route as well.

Watch out for local weather along the Kintyre peninsula.

I have control
28th Sep 2001, 18:12
All the suggestions so far are good.

Of all the options make sure Glenforsa (Mull) is definitely on your list. It is the most idyllic airfield I ever landed at.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Sep 2001, 23:03
Whilst I'd agree with that, if Glenforsa is 95% perfect, Plockton is still in the high 80s.

Incidentally, Oban airfield is designated North Connel, and is not in walking distance of the town.

G

STurns
30th Sep 2001, 17:12
Why not try Gigha, a little island inbetween Mull of Kintyre and Islay. The strip is pretty long, just ring them beforehand to check if it's okay to land.

Dean

PS There is a pub about 2 miles walk up the road that serves great seafood.

jabberwok
4th Oct 2001, 04:19
All above suggestions are good. Some other thoughts..

Islay good for a stopover - especially if you organise a visit round one of the distilleries (most accomodate this).

Campbeltown. Formerly Machrihanish and now a civil airfield. If you fancy landing on a 10,000 ft runway without paying Heathrow rates here's your chance.

Stornoway. Well worth a visit if you fancy the additional sea crossing. Lovely town and some good pub grub.

There is also Broadford on the Isle of Skye but I'll have to pass on details - not visited there yet.

laurie
5th Oct 2001, 17:35
What a great response - thankyou to everyone who has posted.

Laurie.

Diplomate
10th Oct 2001, 23:40
Campbeltown is definitely worth a visit - have been there a few times from Blackpool. A few tips though:

1) Don't land on the end of the runway or you'll be taxiing for about 3 hours (OK - I know, it depends on the wind direction)

2) If you ask the tower will be more than happy to get you a taxi.

3) The Whisky shop (Cadenhead) is well worth a visit - and bring home some of their own cask malt.

4) If you need fuel, you need to tell the tower in advance so he can get man and bowser!!

Have fun

topunicyclist
11th Oct 2001, 15:45
sounds a bit of a trek from Blackpool, Diplomate.......which club do you belong to in Blackpool?