PDA

View Full Version : Intra occular lenses for cataract

BroomstickPilot
17th Jul 2010, 20:09
Hi Guys,

I am a UK private pilot who is pushing 70. I now have cataracts in both eyes which need to be attended to.

In recent times, two new US made intra-occular lenses have become available here in the UK, namely the Light Adjustable Lens (LAL) and the 'synchrony' lens, which is actually a two element lens, I suppose a bit like a camera.

My enquiries so far indicate that the LAL lens is unsuitable for pilots as it can give rise to halos and glare. Furthermore if it either shifts after fixing, or is not placed accurately enough, the eye can then require l@ser treatment to the cornea afterwards, which would attract the wroth of the UK Civil Aviation Authority. This apparently renders the LAL lens unsuitable for pilots.

The Synchrony lens, however, looks to be much more promising. Certainly, the literature on it is encouraging, but my optometrist feels it is still too new to be trusted; especially for use by pilots.

Are there any old Canadian pilots out there, who have had Synchrony fitted, and would be kind enough to tell me of their experiences with this type of lens?

Kind regards from our side of the pond.

BroomstickPilot.