PDA

View Full Version : PPL Lapsed

Knowledge
27th Sep 2001, 14:36
Following on from the topic on flying clubs around London:
My PPL has lapsed as I haven't flown for about 3 years. Before that I had 3 years flying on the bulldog on a UAS and before that a couple of years flying warriors etc. Altogether I have about 120 hours including about 15 hours IMC.
So my question is how difficult/time consuming/expensive is it going to be to get valid again? What ground exams will I have to re-do? And what air tests will I have to do.
I realise that every case will be slightly different but a rough guide would be greatly appreciated.

SteveR
27th Sep 2001, 19:54
All of the exams, and a skills test.

I'm not sure if there's a minimum number of required hours - I think you just need to do enough instruction for you to be happy to take the skills test.

Steve R

Noggin
27th Sep 2001, 21:59
The vital question is how long is it since your C of E expired. That will be 13 months from the date of the last certificate in your log book. If its less than 5 years, you just do a proficiency check, about 1 hour and get signed up. Over 5 years its a bit more complicated according to the CAA but not according to the JAA.

[ 27 September 2001: Message edited by: Noggin ]

BeauMan
27th Sep 2001, 22:17
I've recently been asking a similar queston, as I have an FAA PPL which has expired; my last P1 was in December 94, so take my example as an absolute worst case scenario for yourself.

According to the CAA website....
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/

... when revalidating an expired CAA PPL, your previous flying training will count in terms of hours flown. As somebody else has said, you'll need to do all your ground exams and the skills test at the very least.

To give you an idea of what I've got to do for a CAA PPL (after having an FAA one expire seven years ago), I'm looking at ground exams, and between 10 and 20 hours (at CFI discretion), covering SSAT / FL, QXC, and the Skills Test.

Hope this helps!

JuicyLucy
27th Sep 2001, 23:03
Check JAR FCL 1, but AFAIR if you have flown as P1 within the last 5 years in a UK reg. civil a/c then as much training as you need to pass a proficency check is all that is required.

BEagle
28th Sep 2001, 01:41
Less than 5 years since the date of expiry of your last C of E ('13 month stamp' as was):
Exams: NONE
Training: Sufficient to prepare for a Proficiency Check with a UK/FE(PPL).
Test: SEP Revalidation Proficiency check with a UK/FE(PPL).
Cost: To CAA - NOTHING!! To Examiner - whatever he/she charges. Otherwise whatever your Club charges for ac hire.
Paperwork: Examiner will sign off your LPC SPA form (you then send it to the CAA) and will also sign your FCL150CJAR - the form which now goes into your licence to replace the old '13 month stamp'. You can then fly with passengers.
Validity: 24 months from the date of the Proficiency Check. In the second year you must fly either 12 hours, of which 6 must be as P1 and must include 12 take-offs and landings PLUS a 1 hr training flight with a FI, OR just fly another LPC SPA (with an Examiner) in the last 3 months of the validity period.

Flyswift
28th Sep 2001, 22:34
Also,

Check out Irv Lee's FAQ's. They answer most of the questions.....
Click Here (http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/faq.htm)

[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: Flyswift ]