PDA

View Full Version : Trial lesson without instructor?Radio 5 live 25/09

autothrottle
26th Sep 2001, 01:43
My wife phoned me today to tell me that on Radio 5 live at about 4.40PM she was listening to live reports of an aircraft in distress.It was a trial lesson but the instructor had become incapacitated.
I quickly tuned in , but nothing.I have checked Pprune,BBC online,ITN online,Sky online,teletext and terestial tv news , but nothing.
Has anyone heard anything?She swears she is not pulling my leg and even persuaded me to post this.

bingoboy
26th Sep 2001, 02:22
There was an item on teatime TV news with a reporter saying not a lot outside the closed gate of RAF WOODVALE.

All he knew was an instructor fell ill, pax tried two approaches, instructor awoke, landed and was taken to Southport Hospital. 5 ambulances and an incident unit attended.

BUT who what wherefrom etc NOTHING ...

Evo7
26th Sep 2001, 10:39
I heard a bit about it as I was driving home.

Radio Five said there was a problem, more soon, and then a few minutes later added that the aeroplane had landed safely. They lost interest after that and didn't cover it again.

Guess it is only news if there is a chance that there would be a crash... :mad:

Negative 'G'
26th Sep 2001, 23:20
I Believe it was out of Manchester Barton!!

EGCC Rwy 24
26th Sep 2001, 23:41
From tonight's Manchester Evening News......

Factory worker Rob Jefferay from Wilmslow...
...never been in the cockpit of a plane before...
... one hour flying lesson from Barton...
...instructor Tim Sharrat slumped in his seat...
...Piper PA28 was near Burscough...
...RAF air training corps plane from Woodvale...
...Another training plane already in the air...
...but then the pilot came round...
...he took the controls back...
...Mr Sharrat was undergoing a check-up at Southport Hospital...

All's well that ends well!!

FI
27th Sep 2001, 02:22
Come on fellow FIs, who has NOT had a little snooze at the controls?? The 5th trial lesson of the day would send anyone to sleep!!

poetpilot
27th Sep 2001, 14:50
Anyone from Barton know if Tim is OK? Nice guy, he checked me out on the Grob a while back.

poetpilot
27th Sep 2001, 14:55
Ok, just found out he's still in hospital being checked out but is in general terms OK.