PDA

View Full Version : Ground school time plan. Your views please

Ian_Wannabe
24th Sep 2001, 01:58
Hi,
Sorry to bring another thread under my name about the same subject but I've created another one incase nobody saw my ideas in the other thread.

I've done some thinking again after the advice that was given to me and I've come up with this time plan for my ground exams leading up to July when I hope to go to the USA and concentrate on flying.

So here it is:

Ground School.

Subjects to be taken:

 Principles of Flight
 Airframes and Engines
 Navigation/Meteorology
 Air Law
 Human Performance

Holidays which I have time to revise and sit the subjects:

December 2000 – 19th 2nd Jan (2 weeks) = Principles of Flight

Feb 2002 – 8th – 18th (10 days) = Airframes & Engines

March 2002 - 22nd – 8th April (2 weeks) = Navigation/Meteorology & Air Law

May 2002 - 24th – 3rd June (10 days) = Human Performance

As you can see I'm hoping to carry out the ground exams on the particular subjects within the time written.
Do you guys think this is a good plan to go along with? Or am I wasting my time?
Any views good or bad will help me greatly.

Thanks!

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: Ian_Wannabe.... ahhh I wish I could spell! ]

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: Ian_Wannabe ]

str12
26th Sep 2001, 03:30
I found that 2 weeks was sufficient to read one of the Trevor Thom books and do the sample questions in the PPL confuser.

I hadn't read the particular book on aircraft parts, systems etc (can't remember the title) but did the exam after reading the relevant section in the PPL confuser an hour before - I scored 85 percent.

The subject material is not too difficult but there's a lot of it. You'll need to do Air Law before your first solo.

Hope this helps.

Unusual Attitude
26th Sep 2001, 03:50
I seem to remember using the Thom's it was about 2 weeks doing 3 hours per night for each of the subjects apart from Human perf.

The Human perf book I skimmed through whilst on the bog one day and got 95% in the exam so 10 days is a bit of an overkill!

The rest of the exams I also averaged about 95% without having the PPL confuser so if you use that too you should have no probs.

Best of luck

UA

BeauMan
26th Sep 2001, 17:04
Sorry to put a dampener on things, but the way I'm reading these postings, it looks like the groundschool is being treated as a 'tick in the box'. I hope I'm wrong, and I don't wish to do anyone a disservice by suggesting that the theory isn't being taken seriously, but please, for your own sake, don't just view it as something you have to do in order to move on.

My advice would be to read your first Thom, self test yourself on it, start on the second Thom, top up your reading of the first, self test on the second, re- self test on the first (always looking for an improvement on your score), then start on the third Thom, etc, etc... Basically you're trying to bring your overall knowledge levels up, and then keep them there. And remember to go back to your books after you've got the exams under your belt; take them to the US with you, read a random chapter as a refresher when you're not flying. My old instructor taught me the saying on my signature, and I've never forgotten it. Good luck!